News Article: Rangers, Girardi at Impasse in Contract Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
It would hurt right now but Vatanen and etem us a good package if it comes down to a deal happening. If he really wants to stay it sounds like money is close

Anaheim will never offer that package for UFA Girardi unless they've lined up an extension with his agent and even THEN it is wishful thinking. We're kidding ourselves, severely in this thread.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I will cry if they trade Girardi now. The Rangers are playing defensively as well as they've played in a long while. Don't destroy that over a few hundred grand.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Anaheim will never offer that package for UFA Girardi unless they've lined up an extension with his agent and even THEN it is wishful thinking. We're kidding ourselves, severely in this thread.

For probably the best or 2nd best RH defensive defesiveman in the league, I would want Vatanen and Etem.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Pk subban
Weber
doughty
Pietrangelo
Seabrook
Carlson

Even if those guys are better than Girardi defensively, they're also better than him offensively so they're not defensive defenseman and therefore Girardi is a better defensive defenseman than them.

Am I doing this right?

---------------------------

I don't see enough of Subban and Carlson so I can't say they're better than Girardi defensively. The other four, IMO, are.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Wouldn't not losing the player for nothing AND getting a replacement via UFA be better than what you are proposing.

There is only (1) possibility that leads to a good decision in keeping the players. That is to win The Cup. That probability is pretty low.

If you keep trading away players who earn big pay days it becomes an even lower probability.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pk subban
Weber
doughty
Pietrangelo
Seabrook
Carlson

Girardi is definitely a better defensive defenseman than either Subban or Carlson and maybe even Doughty. The overall value of all the above is higher but in Carlson's case only because he is younger.

Pietrangelo, Doughty, Weber and Subban are all in the top ten d-men in the league and have more skating, puck movement and offense to their games. Any of them would cost a ton to trade for and to keep.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Girardi @ 5.5/5y feels very "meh". Is that the pricetag for a one dimensional D-man these days? A D-man that is still quite inconsistent and is quite horrible with the puck?

Yes, he's defensively very solid (when he's not off, which can last for months at a stretch), but I just feel he's worth $4m a year, because he's so flawed in all other aspects of the game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Girardi @ 5.5/5y feels very "meh". Is that the pricetag for a one dimensional D-man these days? A D-man that is still quite inconsistent and is quite horrible with the puck?

Yes, he's defensively very solid (when he's not off, which can last for months at a stretch), but I just feel he's worth $4m a year, because he's so flawed in all other aspects of the game.

You can reliably slot Girardi on the first pair for the next 3-4 years, at least. That's worth $5.5m, no doubt. Defensemen tend to age well, especially defensive ones (see Michael Rozsival).

My bottom line is that the Rangers have an opportunity to lock up their top four defensemen for the remainder of Lundqvist's prime at a very reasonable price. They should by all means do it. Don't mess around with that. Lock 'em up, and get to work on building an offense with the remaining dollars.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yes, it is. He's also not horrible with the puck, he just could be better with it. He's got decent hands and he can make some good passes in his own zone if he has just a second to do so. I think he's actually gotten a lot better at it this season than in the past as he's adjusted to AV's system.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Chimp is evidently stuck in 2005-06 if he thinks Dan Girardi is worth 4M. I understand it, because every year guys make more and more and we have to keep adjusting our mentality to fit the market, but in 2014-15, Dan Girardi, even at 5.5M is a bit of a "home team" discount.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure that Dan Girardi can, without too much trouble, get 6.25 for 6 years on the open market.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
You know who probably doesn't care? Real life GMs that don't use silly labels like "top two RH defensive dmen" when determining what they'll pay for a player. GMs know that Girardi is a premier shutdown defenseman with a limited offensive game and a valuable asset, within reasonable limits. They will pay as such. But Glen saying "no, no, we need more; after all IS a top two right handed defensive dman in the game" does not happen. Arguing about where he ranks is worthless, especially when it's on an arbitrary list such as "RH dmen as judged only by defensive ability and not their overall game". Girardi is valuable and GMs know it, but expectations still need to be tempered in this thread. Vatanen + Etem is unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad