News Article: Rangers, Girardi at Impasse in Contract Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The ballpark number for retaining both Callahan and Girardi was $12M. Long-term contracts for both. Callahan wants 7 years and $6.75M. 6 years and $5.75M for Girardi. $12.5M. Term is a bigger problem. The Rangers are offering 5 years to both players. Six years for Dan Girardi. It takes him to 36. Girardi can get more in free agency. Girardi is worth nearly $6M per? Callahan is worth close to $7M per? Both players will get that or more in the summer as free agents.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I wouldn't lose Girardi over a few hundred thousand or an extra year of term. He's been a rock on our right side for a while now and he hasn't ever really had a serious injury--despite all the blocked shots and the wear and tear of playing against the league's best forwards.

Callahan and the Rangers are too far apart. Callahan is at least going to get close to his numbers if he becomes a free agent. He's an all purpose player but somewhat injury prone. The kind of game he plays it's going to get tougher and tougher for him to stay healthy.

As for the Duck players I like Vatanen, Kerdiles, Smith-Pelley in that order. Vatanen was very impressive in the Olympics. He is a bit small but I'm wondering why the Ducks would move him for an older right D--even one as good as Girardi. As for Etem--I think he's a bit overrated.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Sign Girardi for sure. 6 years at less than 6 mil is great. Hell trade him in a year or two if there is enough depth at RD to cover his loss. Either way within 4 years most of us suspect he'll need to have his minutes taken up by someone else anyway. But there is zero way to cover his loss now and in the foreseeable future. As long as someone proves they can work well with McD OR Staal in a shutdown role than the team will be able to replace Girardi. Right now and next year I just don't think we'll have that

jskramer83

Nov 11, 2011
Has anyone actually stopped and taken a look at the players who have contracts with a 6 mill cap hit?

If you actually take a look at the names on that list can you really say either Callahan or Girardi belong on that list?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Has anyone actually stopped and taken a look at the players who have contracts with a 6 mill cap hit?

If you actually take a look at the names on that list can you really say either Callahan or Girardi belong on that list?

No, but you have to take in to consideration when, and at what age some of those contracts are handed out. It's not as simple as comparing dollar amounts.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The more the cap continues to rise, the more the contracts are going to rise as well. is G worth 6M? maybe not but that could be the maret for a Top pairing RHD wih the cap going up. Also, Mcdonagh is making 4.7M.. He will be worth more than that.. its not really fair to compare is "this guy worth this or that" and refuse to look at when the contract was signed and when/if the cap would go up etc. I would NOT lose Girardi because of 1 year, if they have agreed on the money already, just give hm the extra year and get it over with.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Girardi needs to stay... Minute eating RHD don't grow in trees especially ones that almost never miss a game. He is an absolute warrior. If the issues is years, give him Girardi years and Sather money, and hopefully they agree. I'll hate seeing him leave the team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Girardi needs to stay... Minute eating RHD don't grow in trees especially ones that almost never miss a game. He is an absolute warrior. If the issues is years, give him Girardi years and Sather money, and hopefully they agree. I'll hate seeing him leave the team.

SotP pls, u r Buffalo fan, okay? :D

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Keep him. I'm not a huge Girardi fan by any means, but he's a first pairing defenseman on our team who is asking for a reasonable contact. He's worth more than Callahan but will get less. Go five years at Girardi's AAV and get it done.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Sather dicks everyone off in contract negotiations.He keeps playing this hardass negotiation tactic with all of his players,someone is going to say "Screw You,I'm testing Free Agency!".

Cigarface will screw this up,it is as inevitable as death,taxes and sunset in the west.

KreiMeARiver*

All I know is Callahan is insane for asking for that much. Based on what, exactly?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd be thrilled with Vatanen in a deal. He's exactly the type of defender who could flourish in this kind of attacking system, and he's just starting to come into his own as a player. He really has shades of Brian Rafalski in his game offensively and skating wise, though his defensive acumen leaves a little to be desired.

That being said, Unless Girardi was re-signing there, I have a hard time seeing Vatanen coming back in the deal, let alone Vatanen plus another top prospect and/or pick.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
$5.25 million for 6 years. Give him the term and give us the salary. In his 6th year, with the cap going up, hopefully, $5.25 will be easier to swallow for him at age 36.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
All I know is Callahan is insane for asking for that much. Based on what, exactly?

Based on what his agent feels he can get on the open market. Doesn't mean he's right, but those are the numbers his agent is feeding him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If we can get Vatanen for Girardi I do that deal without blinking. Finally a defenseman with an actual offensive game. AV would have a field day with him.

This sounds like not unreal terms/money, but again, if Sather doesn't want to give the terms he wants and they can't reach an agreement, he should be traded. Hockey's still a business.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sounds like G will be signed shortly, honestly. Over the years whenever a report comes out like this one, where it's fairly close and reasonable with a bit of time to spare, it seems like a deal gets announced shortly after. Personally, I'm happy with it. At first glance it sounds like a lot of money, but prices are simply going up across the board, and Girardi for 5.75M or less is a good deal. Could the years be an issue? It's always a risk when you sign a guy long term, but Girardi has rarely ever missed a game throughout his career and even if he breaks down some over the remainder of his career here, I feel that the worst case scenario is that if his play eventually no longer warrants top pair minutes and/or he gets to a point where he can't chew up those big minutes anymore he'll still be a strong middle pairing shut down guy and a leader and warrior. I'm all for Girardi finishing his career here.

Exactly. And by that point, you can justify having a 6M 2nd pair defenseman (as awful as that sounds now, just wait till that cap goes up.... lol)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

For Girardi? You can certainly make the argument. For Callahan? No but that is reality with a rising cap.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

Girardi could get a 6m contract for sure.

Callahan on the other hand...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Do you really think that the majority of the people on that list would get $6M if they were going into free agency this summer? Do you think Patrick Kane on the open market with the cap going up is a $6.3M player?

Looking at comparable's around the league is pointless unless you consider the context under which they signed their deal. Group III. Retirement contracts.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Girardi's demands are reasonable. Maybe he can come down slightly to $5.5 over 6 years, but I'd say he is worth $32-$33 over the next half dozen seasons.

Alternatively, he can get 5 years at his desired hit of $5.75, which would be $28.5 total. Hell, we gave almost that much to Rosie.

You don't just throw away defensemen like him unless you can get great return in a trade.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Girardi's demands are reasonable. Maybe he can come down slightly to $5.5 over 6 years, but I'd say he is worth $32-$33 over the next half dozen seasons.

Alternatively, he can get 5 years at his desired hit of $5.75, which would be $28.5 total. Hell, we gave almost that much to Rosie.

You don't just throw away defensemen like him unless you can get great return in a trade.

Absolutely Beacon. 100%.

I think people have to understand how valuable he really is. He has also been extremely durable. You cannot compare that salary to this years cap or even next. As time goes on the cap will go up, salaries will inflate, and Girardi's salary will look more like a bargain when he is 33-34-35-36.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY

Was Shawn Horcoff insane 4 seasons ago when he got $5.5M for 6 seasons?

Or David Clarkson last summer when he got $5.25M for 7 seasons.

Free agents get (over)paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad