News Article: Rangers, Girardi at Impasse in Contract Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The Blueshirts, meanwhile, appear to be at an impasse with first-pair, right defenseman Girardi. This negotiating stalemate is a tough one to figure given Girardi’s believed asking price of six years at approximately $5.75 million per is widely perceived throughout the industry as a fair-market sticker price.

Sather, who is believed to have offered no more than a five-year extension at a somewhat lower average cost, has informed executives on other clubs the Rangers would deal Girardi rather than get nothing in return should he flee in July.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/no-traction-on-st-louis-rangers-plan-to-deal-callahan-sources/

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Negotiation 101.

Girardi "demands" more years at more money. Sather "willing" less years at less money. Barring unreasonableness, they will eventually meet at Girardi's years with Sather's money or Sather's years with Girardi's money.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Sounds like G will be signed shortly, honestly. Over the years whenever a report comes out like this one, where it's fairly close and reasonable with a bit of time to spare, it seems like a deal gets announced shortly after. Personally, I'm happy with it. At first glance it sounds like a lot of money, but prices are simply going up across the board, and Girardi for 5.75M or less is a good deal. Could the years be an issue? It's always a risk when you sign a guy long term, but Girardi has rarely ever missed a game throughout his career and even if he breaks down some over the remainder of his career here, I feel that the worst case scenario is that if his play eventually no longer warrants top pair minutes and/or he gets to a point where he can't chew up those big minutes anymore he'll still be a strong middle pairing shut down guy and a leader and warrior. I'm all for Girardi finishing his career here.

SupersonicMonkey*

Girardi to Anaheim for Vatanen and Etem.

Callahan to St. Louis for Stewart and Schmaltz.

Sather's version: Callahan + McIlrath/Skjei + 1st for St. Louis. Re-sign Girardi for 8 years/ 7 million per.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Girardi to Anaheim for Vatanen and Etem.

Callahan to St. Louis for Stewart and Schmaltz.

Sather's version: Callahan + McIlrath/Skjei + 1st for St. Louis. Re-sign Girardi for 8 years/ 7 million per.

Sather won't give Girardi 7M a year.. and I'd take that Anaheim deal, not sure about the St Louis deal. but I admittedly dont know much about Schmaltz

and no way we give that up for St Louis

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If you can get Vatanen and a 1st or other good prospect for Girardi I do it right away.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If you can get Vatanen and a 1st or other good prospect for Girardi I do it right away.

Right, well it hurts us this playoffs but helps us down the line. Vatanen is a pretty good blueliner, I'm not in love with defensemen under 6'2, 220 myself, but you can make allowances for a guy like that if he has real offensive potential.

The question for me is, if we deal Girardi and Callahan, we buy out Richards, what are we doing with all that cap space? Especially if we are getting NHL ready youngsters (like John Moore) back? Where are the roster spots and what is the money going to that is somehow a better option?

Technically you're better off if you sign someone because you're plus the trade pieces and have a UFA priced player signed, but who and what would it be?

For me, I still think they trade Callahan for Stewart+, and re-sign Girardi. Stralman I'm not sure about. He probably goes if Girardi signs at the end of the year, he definitely stays if Girardi is dealt.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
G wil resign but slats will drive the price up for sure just to see if we can steal the extra cookies in the cookie jar..

vatenen and palmieri/etem.. **** is a done deal.. and i am all for keeping g (even if signing him to a 5yr-6m/yr), but thats an offer you cant refuse..

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Right, well it hurts us this playoffs but helps us down the line. Vatanen is a pretty good blueliner, I'm not in love with defensemen under 6'2, 220 myself, but you can make allowances for a guy like that if he has real offensive potential.

The question for me is, if we deal Girardi and Callahan, we buy out Richards, what are we doing with all that cap space? Especially if we are getting NHL ready youngsters (like John Moore) back? Where are the roster spots and what is the money going to that is somehow a better option?

Technically you're better off if you sign someone because you're plus the trade pieces and have a UFA priced player signed, but who and what would it be?

For me, I still think they trade Callahan for Stewart+, and re-sign Girardi. Stralman I'm not sure about. He probably goes if Girardi signs at the end of the year, he definitely stays if Girardi is dealt.
I generally feel the same way about defensemen, but I love Vatanen's offensive upside.

As to the extra cap space, use it to give MZA a 6 year deal at ~$5MM AAV, Stralman a 3-4 year deal at ~$4-4.5MM, sign Brassard to a 3 year deal at a modest raise, give Moore a bridge contract and keep dry powder for trades next year/UFAs next offseason.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I don't do it for Vatanen, I don't do it for Vatanen and Etem, I don't do it for Vatanen, Etem and a 1st.

Prospects way too overrated around here. I'll keep the known top 2 defenseman. Sign him.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

There isn't a dman on this team that's 6'2 220... McD is as close as it gets at 6'1 212. In fact, there's only 47 dmen, of any kind, who have dressed in the NHL this year that are 6'2 220 or bigger and literally half of them are plugs we wouldn't want in our starting six.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't do it for Vatanen, I don't do it for Vatanen and Etem, I don't do it for Vatanen, Etem and a 1st.

Prospects way too overrated around here. I'll keep the known top 2 defenseman. Sign him.

I'd rather sign him too, and I agree to a huge extent that alot of people value prospects way too much. sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, there is like no median here.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Prospects way too overrated around here.
I'll keep the known top 2 defenseman. Sign him.

I agree with you but that is a deal you don't turn down. Vatanen is a fantastic prospect who has a great chance of becoming a steady top 4 defenseman. Etem is like a Kreider-lite and a 1st? All day.

Those are QUALITY prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad