Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't understand why it's out of the realm of possibility that if McIlrath is given more playing time, he can't end up being a better defenseman than Kevin Klein.

This. QFT.

Chances are that Mcilrath will be a much better player by the Spring. Every year he got better from October to April. If he's comparable at all to Klein now, odds are he'll be the better of the two once the playoffs begin.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
This. QFT.

Chances are that Mcilrath will be a much better player by the Spring. Every year he got better from October to April. If he's comparable at all to Klein now, odds are he'll be the better of the two once the playoffs begin.

Ok, but we're trying to win a Stanley Cup, not a hand of blackjack.

Let's keep him as the 7th until we find out.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok, but we're trying to win a Stanley Cup, not a hand of blackjack.

Let's keep him as the 7th until we find out.

I can't believe people keep insisting it's a good thing to have a 3rd pair D-man with a 2.9m cap hit. Klein is not the same level as Stralman. He won't get any better and had 3 months where he added some offense to his game. If we are going to have a stay-at-home D-man on our 3rd pairing, I prefer to have one with a lower cap-hit than Kreider, thanks.

McIlrath has shown he has developed a lot since his last games in a Rangers jersey and was our 2nd best D-man so far in the pre-season (after Yandle). If we can trade Klein for picks and replace him with McI, that's a win in my book. I feel McIlrath is ready for 3rd pair minutes, unlike Skjei, by the way

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
McDonagh
Yandle
Girardi
Staal
Klein

All 5 of these guys were injured about 3 months ago. Klein a little before that, about 6 months ago.

The other defenseman we have is 40 years old and looks like a skeleton.

Dylan McIlrath as the 7th defenseman would probably play in 75% of the games.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I can't believe people keep insisting it's a good thing to have a 3rd pair D-man with a 2.9m cap hit. Klein is not the same level as Stralman. He won't get any better and had 3 months where he added some offense to his game. If we are going to have a stay-at-home D-man on our 3rd pairing, I prefer to have one with a lower cap-hit than Kreider, thanks.

McIlrath has shown he has developed a lot since his last games in a Rangers jersey and was our 2nd best D-man so far in the pre-season (after Yandle). If we can trade Klein for picks and replace him with McI, that's a win in my book. I feel McIlrath is ready for 3rd pair minutes, unlike Skjei, by the way

This logic is so wrong. The problem with this logic is it ignores quality.

You wouldn't want to pay 10 million dollars for a second line center, either. Unless the 1st is Crosby and the 2nd is Malkin.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I would take Yandle over him as well, strictly for offensive reasons.

But it's a lot closer than you are making it out to seem.

Stralman is a hell of a player

Lol hell of a player is a stretch, good player yes... Stralman was here to help provide offense on defense in his time here he turned into a good defenseman yea but the offense is a no go... In his three years here he had one less point than last season alone... Three years 38 points, one with a high flying Tampa team 39.

That being said it depends on what you are looking at Keith Yandle played on a bottom feeding lottery team which was scoring 2.01 Gf/G he put up 41 points he was apart of just about 25% of the goals scored by Arizona... That's also using a full season of goals when Yandle left with 20 plus games left. Using that same thought process stralman with 39 points was apart of 15% of all of Tampas goals. Offensively it's really not even close.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This logic is so wrong. The problem with this logic is it ignores quality.

You wouldn't want to pay 10 million dollars for a second line center, either. Unless the 1st is Crosby and the 2nd is Malkin.

Yeah, and look where that got them. They are a top6 team with some AHL filler on the bottom lines because they don't have the cap space to add some talented guys for those roles. Brilliant.

Chicago won't win the Cup anytime soon with 21m invested in 2 players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Doesn't change my point. He's 40. He might miss some games.

Never once mentioned his playing quality.

Boyle brings more than Klein. That's why he gets more money. Klein also missed games last season because of an injury. It happens. Has nothing to do with age.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Keep him as the 7th so we can find out. We'd be able to turn that "if he can surpass Klein" into "he can surpass Klein" and than trade Klein at the deadline.

Even trading Klein at the deadline doesn't make much sense either.

We'd be going into the playoffs with 6 d-men, McIlrath as the 6th. Who's the 7th?

With the injuries to our D in last years playoffs that doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

yeah man, gotta agree you changed your stance 2-3 times... you disagreed with this thinking a couple pages back--lol

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It's perfectly fine, and that move is what makes the most logical sense. Dylan has played very well, and to me at least, he's earned the 7th spot. Let Diaz go to Switzerland, let Bellemore play in the AHL, and if need be, Bodie can stay as the 8th defenseman.

This allows Bodie-McIlrath to get reps with the NHL team in practice (if these are the two that management thinks are closest to being NHL-ready), while Skjei, Graves, Zamorsky, and Andersson all get valuable reps in the AHL. Build your next core of defenseman in the AHL over the next two years to slowly infuse them into the lineup.

From these last two games (I know they're preseason, but I'm still putting some stock into them) the only area Klein has edged out McIlrath is skating ability. Dylan's edge work is still a little choppy, but overall, he's improved greatly from the last time I've seen him. He can fix that in time.

love this thinking

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, and look where that got them. They are a top6 team with some AHL filler on the bottom lines because they don't have the cap space to add some talented guys for those roles. Brilliant.

Chicago won't win the Cup anytime soon with 21m invested in 2 players.

If the two players are worth the 21M than they were good signings

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Expect those two players are gods amongst men in the POs.

If the two players are worth the 21M than they were good signings

They had to get rid of Saad because they were unable to re-sign him. Versteeg as well. Anisimov is their 2nd line center... If they make the play-offs, who knows what can happen, but they have to get there first and if your 2nd line center is Anisimov, while van Riemsdyk and Rundblad are the bottom pairing on defense, they will have a hard time making it

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
They had to get rid of Saad because they were unable to re-sign him. Versteeg as well. Anisimov is their 2nd line center... If they make the play-offs, who knows what can happen, but they have to get there first and if your 2nd line center is Anisimov, while van Riemsdyk and Rundblad are the bottom pairing on defense, they will have a hard time making it

They just won the cup with Richards as the 2nd. I also highly doubt the Blackhawks miss the playoffs.

$$ wise Toews, Kane and my dead dog = Stepan Nash and Boyle/Girardi/Staal.

I'll take Toews Kane and my dead dog, you can have Stepan, Nash, and Boyle/Girardi/Staal.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Eh TVD is a pretty good player. Runblad sucks, but hes always sucked and it hasn't hurt them much.

They lost too many pieces to compete this season IMO but they'll be right back there with the rest of the west in a few seasons, they're pretty much the gold standard in this league when it comes to developing players.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Also what happens if one of your three and not your dead dog gets hurt mid season and won't return of you don't have at least suitable temp replacements you aren't
Gonna find one mid season

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Also what happens if one of your three and not your dead dog gets hurt mid season and won't return of you don't have at least suitable temp replacements you aren't
Gonna find one mid season

What? Don't sign Toews and Kane because there is a possibility of injury (as there is with every player?)

Am I interpreting that correctly?

Not being sarcastic, genuinely confused.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What? Don't sign Toews and Kane because there is a possibility of injury (as there is with every player?)

Am I interpreting that correctly?

Not being sarcastic, genuinely confused.

You bring up injuries in a previous post, but completely ignore the possibility in the Chicago situation. What if a player gets injured mid-season? You don't get cap relief for a player on LTIR, despite the fact that you can call up a player and go over the cap for the time being, there is no player who comes close to bringing the production the top6 players have.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are in the same boat, albeit, Pittsburgh has been in that situation for years now. Too much money invested in just a few players which leaves less cap space to build depth.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
You bring up injuries in a previous post, but completely ignore the possibility in the Chicago situation. What if a player gets injured mid-season? You don't get cap relief for a player on LTIR, despite the fact that you can call up a player and go over the cap for the time being, there is no player who comes close to bringing the production the top6 players have.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are in the same boat, albeit, Pittsburgh has been in that situation for years now. Too much money invested in just a few players which leaves less cap space to build depth.

I'm just gonna stop responding because I'm completely missing the logic you are using. You don't let Jonathan Toews walk out the front door because he could possibly get injured. You give him 10.5 Million and ask him to win you 3 more Stanley Cups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad