Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Funny because thats not what you were saying earlier.

If the playoffs started tomorrow I would agree with you. I'm just not convinced that with a full NHL season under his belt McIlrath cannot close the gap on/surpass Klein enough to the point where it'd make more sense to keep/play him over Klein.

Keep him as the 7th so we can find out. We'd be able to turn that "if he can surpass Klein" into "he can surpass Klein" and than trade Klein at the deadline.

Even trading Klein at the deadline doesn't make much sense either.

We'd be going into the playoffs with 6 d-men, McIlrath as the 6th. Who's the 7th?

With the injuries to our D in last years playoffs that doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
My apologies

It's perfectly fine, and that move is what makes the most logical sense. Dylan has played very well, and to me at least, he's earned the 7th spot. Let Diaz go to Switzerland, let Bellemore play in the AHL, and if need be, Bodie can stay as the 8th defenseman.

This allows Bodie-McIlrath to get reps with the NHL team in practice (if these are the two that management thinks are closest to being NHL-ready), while Skjei, Graves, Zamorsky, and Andersson all get valuable reps in the AHL. Build your next core of defenseman in the AHL over the next two years to slowly infuse them into the lineup.

From these last two games (I know they're preseason, but I'm still putting some stock into them) the only area Klein has edged out McIlrath is skating ability. Dylan's edge work is still a little choppy, but overall, he's improved greatly from the last time I've seen him. He can fix that in time.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If we can make it to the finals with John Moore/Diaz as the 6/7 then we can do it with McIlrath

We made the finals because of that top-4 and well MSL , 27-5 and 18-6. Also, Klein and Moore were a very good bottom pairing.

Yandle >> J.Moore and
Stralman >> Boyle.

Klein > McIlrath

That 2014 D was better but this 2015/2016 core is still good enough.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
on another note, those of you who watched the game on the flyers broadcast, what did you think of the roaming sky cam?

I was personally not a big fan, and I'm hoping this was a once and done thing

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We made the finals because of that top-4 and well MSL , 27-5 and 18-6. Also, Klein and Moore were a very good bottom pairing.

Yandle >> J.Moore and
Stralman >> Boyle.

Klein > McIlrath

I would take this years D group over the 2014 D group.

Our #5 and 6 thsi year are Boyle and Klein

I would take Yandle over Stralman every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Difference is Boyle over Moore and Yandle over Stralman

Easily we have a better D group this year.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
It's perfectly fine, and that move is what makes the most logical sense. Dylan has played very well, and to me at least, he's earned the 7th spot. Let Diaz go to Switzerland, let Bellemore play in the AHL, and if need be, Bodie can stay as the 8th defenseman.

This allows Bodie-McIlrath to get reps with the NHL team in practice (if these are the two that management thinks are closest to being NHL-ready), while Skjei, Graves, Zamorsky, and Andersson all get valuable reps in the AHL. Build your next core of defenseman in the AHL over the next two years to slowly infuse them into the lineup.

From these last two games (I know they're preseason, but I'm still putting some stock into them) the only area Klein has edged out McIlrath is skating ability. Dylan's edge work is still a little choppy, but overall, he's improved greatly from the last time I've seen him. He can fix that in time.

100% on board with this. Word for word.

However if for some reason AV feels more comfortable with Diaz I wouldn't be shocked. (Even though McIlrath has looked better than him).

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I would take this years D group over the 2014 D group.

Our #5 and 6 thsi year are Boyle and Klein

I would take Yandle over Stralman every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Difference is Boyle over Moore and Yandle over Stralman

Easily we have a better D group this year.

No, I do not agree.

The 10-20 more points Yandle might provide over Stralman doesn't bridge the gap in overall play that sees Stralman come out on top, IMO.

I think Stralman is overrated around here (because of the #1D and top10 NHL D comments), too. But, all things considered, he is a better overall player than Yandle, despite Yandle being more dynamic offensively and perhaps more of a gamebreaker.

If Stralman's year last year wasn't a fluke and he will produce ~40 points going forward, I easily take him, unless Yandle replaces top D minutes from Staal and scores 50-60

I hope the latter unfolds as true and that this year's defense will be better, though.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
im all for hoping mcilrath can outplay a guy like klein. time will tell.

boston lost seidenberg last night. injuries happen. there will be teams looking for a dman the calibre of klein and they will pay well for him. might even overpay.

best case scenario is mcilrath looks like a stud and we can move klein. in due time.

problem is, if one of our top 5 guys gets hurt(like last year), having klein there to step up and play top 4 minutes in a pinch (like he did last year) is a far better option than having a greenhorn like mcilrath fill that role.

like i said, let it play out.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
How was Etem? I don't have time to read through 36 pages of GDT...you guys are active over here haha

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
No, I do not agree.

The 10-20 more points Yandle might provide over Stralman doesn't bridge the gap in overall play that sees Stralman come out on top, IMO.

I think Stralman is overrated around here (because of the #1D and top10 NHL D comments), too. But, all things considered, he is a better overall player than Yandle, despite Yandle being more dynamic offensively and perhaps more of a gamebreaker.

If Stralman's year last year wasn't a fluke and he will produce ~40 points going forward, I easily take him, unless Yandle replaces top D minutes from Staal and scores 50-60

I hope the latter unfolds as true and that this year's defense will be better, though.

What?!? lol including the time in AZ Yandle had 52 points, in the 63 games he played for AZ he had more points then Stralman in 82. he was tied for 3rd in the playoffs with defenseman points 3 points back for second and Hedman, however Keith (Chicago) was in another world.

He was brought here to be offensive not to be a defensive stalwart.

Stralman is super overrated at this point all things considered (including contract) I would take Keith Yandle over him 11/10 times.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
What?!? lol including the time in AZ Yandle had 52 points, in the 63 games he played for AZ he had more points then Stralman in 82. he was tied for 3rd in the playoffs with defenseman points 3 points back for second and Hedman, however Keith (Chicago) was in another world.

He was brought here to be offensive not to be a defensive stalwart.

Stralman is super overrated at this point all things considered (including contract) I would take Keith Yandle over him 11/10 times.

I would take Yandle over him as well, strictly for offensive reasons.

But it's a lot closer than you are making it out to seem.

Stralman is a hell of a player

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
on another note, those of you who watched the game on the flyers broadcast, what did you think of the roaming sky cam?

I was personally not a big fan, and I'm hoping this was a once and done thing

I think that idea works great for football, where you can see players line up and have certain running lanes. With hockey, it's too messy

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

Yandle >> J.Moore and
Stralman >> Boyle.

Klein > McIlrath

I'm not convinced that the Skjei isn't a full time by the end of the year, and if he is he'll be a step up over John Moore. Maybe just maybe one of the extra lefties will be playing righty and we'll be better with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad