Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
On Etem:

He looked like a slow thinker out there, reacting late to plays. Teams usually don't trade a player of his physical skillset on a cheap contract unless there are things wrong.

Don't take it the wrong way, ANA moved a bunch of kids that were in their farm and a lot of it's because they never solidified a role under Boudreau (Palmieri, Smith Pelley, Karlsson, Etem).

I think we got a glimpse of as to why, I don't think it's the coaching with him, I think his reads or his head is a few ticks behind. He lost or was behind his man on 2 goals against.

When he had the puck he had blinders on. I don't think he's making the top 9 out of the gate.

I think Etem and Dylan end up as the 13th and 7th guy that the coaches really work over in practices.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Miller gave you all kinds of Miller last night. He oozes talent, but continues to be a disaster in the defensive zone. The staff really needs to work with him to keep it simple back there.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I would go as far as saying there's not a snowballs chance in hell Diaz makes the team. He's been bad and his time's running out

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
On Etem:

He looked like a slow thinker out there, reacting late to plays. Teams usually don't trade a player of his physical skillset on a cheap contract unless there are things wrong.

Don't take it the wrong way, ANA moved a bunch of kids that were in their farm and a lot of it's because they never solidified a role under Boudreau (Palmieri, Smith Pelley, Karlsson, Etem).

I think we got a glimpse of as to why, I don't think it's the coaching with him, I think his reads or his head is a few ticks behind. He lost or was behind his man on 2 goals against.

When he had the puck he had blinders on. I don't think he's making the top 9 out of the gate.

I think Etem and Dylan end up as the 13th and 7th guy that the coaches really work over in practices.

This is fair based on last night's game. But I've liked what I've seen of him in the past in the A playing for Norfolk, and we do have to remember that it was his first game of the season on a new team. If it continues throughout camp, I agree that he sits in favor of Stalberg and the coaches work on him in practice, but let's give it a few more games before we make that call.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
For 11 minutes a game, sure.

Klein would also be good. And we can fit him under the cap. And we're trying to win a Cup in the present tense. And Klein has played in the playoffs and has Stanley Cup Finals experience.

But sure, let's just roll the dice with McIlrath in Hank's final years.

Shiny new toy syndrome

we would be asking him to be the #6 defenseman, he's shown he could do that. I don't know how he's a shiny toy when about 95% of posters have ripped him at one point and another 65% have probably called him a bust.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't fathom how someone would want Diaz over McIlrath as the 7th D based on each of their play so far. Diaz has been a train wreck.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Dylan is above Ralphy but below Kevin on the depth chart right now, and that will most likely remain that way.

Klein is easily better than McIlrath right now. To me, it's clear that Dylan has not pushed Klein out of #6D role.

There is still time to go in the preseason, but Klein is just the safer option at this point.

Rangers might lose Dylan this year due to him having to pass through waivers before being sent down.

If the Rangers weren't a contender for the cup this year, I'd say replace Klein with Dylan.

Very tough choice. Do you risk losing this kid you have tried devloping all these years at the expense of having the better defenseman right now (Klein) on your roster as a contending team? Very difficult....

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I can't fathom how someone would want Diaz over McIlrath as the 7th D based on each of their play so far. Diaz has been a train wreck.

i'm pretty confident the plan will be to keep McILrath as the 7th and waive Diaz who should clear for depth. Also sign Bellmore to a 2 way deal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As to Nejezchleb's name - in Czech it means "Don'teatbread", so now you atleast have a chance to pronounce it correctly :)

As to the pronounciation, it is probably something like this: "Neyezz-chlab", but that "ch" is the same "ch" as in "Loch Ness" or i "Juan", if you know Spanich.

lol

Richard "I don't suck Baugette" Nejezchleb

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dylan is 23 years old. Last year was his first full year of playing in the AHL. The 2 years before that he missed half a season, in each.

Each year he has improved. And keep in mind his growth was stunted due to injury. So he is technically behind, but still showing growth.

He needs minutes. Circumstantially, he no longer has the ability to be sent down to HFD to play the minutes he needs, so he NEEDS to get them via the main team.

AV said he expects 2 specific young guys to come in and step up. Lindberg. Mcilrath.

He expects a 23 year old to step up to be the 7th D? No.

This is an investment. Dylan is the future. And the decision to play him not only is contingent on if he can handle the position, which is a prerequisite, but also if he still has room for growth. He is improving each and every year. At this rate he can improve to be a 2nd pairing guy.

He is capable, which is the first benchmark, and he is growing which is the second one.

I agree for sure.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
i'm pretty confident the plan will be to keep McILrath as the 7th and waive Diaz who should clear for depth. Also sign Bellmore to a 2 way deal.

Diaz is going to Switzerland if he doesn't make the NHL.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Dylan is above Ralphy but below Kevin on the depth chart right now, and that will most likely remain that way.

Klein is easily better than McIlrath right now. To me, it's clear that Dylan has not pushed Klein out of #6D role.

There is still time to go in the preseason, but Klein is just the safer option at this point.

Rangers might lose Dylan this year due to him having to pass through waivers before being sent down.

If the Rangers weren't a contender for the cup this year, I'd say replace Klein with Dylan.

Very tough choice. Do you risk losing this kid you have tried devloping all these years at the expense of having the better defenseman right now (Klein) on your roster as a contending team? Very difficult....
The answer is rather simple, you keep Dylan as the 7th D even though he's outpalyed both Klein and Diaz. Klein is proven at this point so AV and staff wouldn't just ship out Klein. It's the safe approach. McIlrath will get plenty of reps as the 7th dman. He'll get some back to backs and fill in for some injuries. The team will likely play 7-8 dman over the 82 game season anyway. No need to lose McIlrath and then plug holes with Summer or Bellamore or whomever.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think it's real easy to pick on Etem tonight based on how awful his linemates were (in addition to him).

JT Miller & Kevin Hayes were each beyond putrid....as was Etem.

That whole line stunk.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

100% agree with this.

And the answer should be no.

We should be icing the best possible team for the last few years of Hank.

Everything else should come second.

We can keep Dylan as a 7th, he'll play when injuries come. If for some reason we're not contenders at the trade deadline, trade Klein and put in Dylan. But right now we're contenders. You don't make your team worse as a contender simply to test out a rookie.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think it's real easy to pick on Etem tonight based on how awful his linemates were (in addition to him).

JT Miller & Kevin Hayes were each beyond putrid....as was Etem.

That whole line stunk.

Miller was fantastic in the 1st, then got worse as the game went on.

Hayes was ok in the first, then got worse as the game went on.

Etem was ok, nothing great, nothing bad, the whole game.

They were all fantastic on that one PP where they stayed on the whole 2 minutes.

BarbaraAlphanse

The teams that usually win it all are the ones that build with one foot in the present and one in the future. Young guys, rookies, are critical to any successful team.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
The teams that usually win it all are the ones that build with one foot in the present and one in the future. Young guys, rookies, are critical to any successful team.

The fact they are rookies is irrelevant. I don't care if McIlrath is 23 and Klein is 78 years old.

If Klein is better he should be the one on this roster.

We're contenders for the cup.

If we weren't, it'd be a different story.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't understand why it's out of the realm of possibility that if McIlrath is given more playing time, he can't end up being a better defenseman than Kevin Klein.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Chicago literally played 4D these past playoffs, opting out of playing the youn guns/rookies Runblad and Cumiskey.

They even opted for 38 Y/O Rozsival and 40 Y/O Timmonen over those guys.

I get what you're getting at, but McIlrath isn't a skill guy...We shall see what happens.

When you're skilled forward, you can be trusted based on your linemates and deployment. When you're a defenseman who can impact the game in a negative way (see: Kostka vs the islanders) there is more pause for concern.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I don't understand why it's out of the realm of possibility that if McIlrath is given more playing time, he can't end up being a better defenseman than Kevin Klein.

This entire statement is full of "ifs"

We would be replacing a known with an unknown.

Keep McIlrath as the 7th so we can slowly find out if he's better than Klein, is a better scenario.

We don't want to be left with a situation where we traded Klein and than McIlrath **** the bed and we're stuck with no 6th D-man.

McIlrath as the 7th will get plenty of ice time before the trade deadline.

By then, we will find out if he can play in this league.

If he can, trade Klein. (Even then I'd be hesitant to trade Klein because the playoffs is a whole different beast than the regular season)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The fact they are rookies is irrelevant. I don't care if McIlrath is 23 and Klein is 78 years old.

If Klein is better he should be the one on this roster.

We're contenders for the cup.

If we weren't, it'd be a different story.

Funny because thats not what you were saying earlier.

If the playoffs started tomorrow I would agree with you. I'm just not convinced that with a full NHL season under his belt McIlrath cannot close the gap on/surpass Klein enough to the point where it'd make more sense to keep/play him over Klein.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This entire statement is full of "ifs"

We would be replacing a known with an unknown.

Keep McIlrath as the 7th so we can slowly find out if he's better than Klein, is a better scenario.

We don't want to be left with a situation where we traded Klein and than McIlrath **** the bed and we're stuck with no 6th D-man.

McIlrath as the 7th will get plenty of ice time before the trade deadline.

By then, we will find out if he can play in this league.

If he can, trade Klein. (Even then I'd be hesitant to trade Klein because the playoffs is a whole different beast than the regular season)

I literally said this before and you disagreed with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad