Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
More like what do you do if you invest so much in two players and lose one for a chunk of time

You deal with it after the fact. This isn't something you can predict.

We can sign Hank for 8 million or we can sign 4 goalies all for 2 million each because we'll have security from injury in case one of the 4 goes down.

I'll take Hank and hope he stays healthy.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I can't fathom how someone would want Diaz over McIlrath as the 7th D based on each of their play so far. Diaz has been a train wreck.

That someone may be AV, who may not be comfortable having a very raw rookie--especially one who will need sheltered minutes in the beginning--sit for long periods of time before getting into games, potentially on a moment's notice.

There's only so much a rookie can learn from practicing--they need to play in games regularly to get better.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That someone may be AV, who may not be comfortable having a very raw rookie--especially one who will need sheltered minutes in the beginning--sit for long periods of time before getting into games, potentially on a moment's notice.

There's only so much a rookie can learn from practicing--they need to play in games regularly to get better.

Is that worth risking him being lost to waivers? Especially after the time and effort put into developing him?

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
You deal with it after the fact. This isn't something you can predict.

We can sign Hank for 8 million or we can sign 4 goalies all for 2 million each because we'll have security from injury in case one of the 4 goes down.

I'll take Hank and hope he stays healthy.

One player at 8 million is different then two players at 10.5 each taking 21 million off the books.

Nash Hank and Stepan make a total of about 21 million

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Is that worth risking him being lost to waivers? Especially after the time and effort put into developing him?

To be completely honest, this should be completely ignored right now.

The 7 guys that give us the best chance of winning the Stanley Cup in 2016 should be the 7 guys we go with. That's the situation I think we're in right now.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Dylan is 23 years old. Last year was his first full year of playing in the AHL. The 2 years before that he missed half a season, in each.

Each year he has improved. And keep in mind his growth was stunted due to injury. So he is technically behind, but still showing growth.

He needs minutes. Circumstantially, he no longer has the ability to be sent down to HFD to play the minutes he needs, so he NEEDS to get them via the main team.

AV said he expects 2 specific young guys to come in and step up. Lindberg. Mcilrath.

He expects a 23 year old to step up to be the 7th D? No.

This is an investment. Dylan is the future. And the decision to play him not only is contingent on if he can handle the position, which is a prerequisite, but also if he still has room for growth. He is improving each and every year. At this rate he can improve to be a 2nd pairing guy.

He is capable, which is the first benchmark, and he is growing which is the second one.

Good post, I agree with you.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

IMO, there is no way he passes through waivers. If they expose him to waivers, he was never in the plans to begin with.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
One player at 8 million is different then two players at 10.5 each taking 21 million off the books.

Nash Hank and Stepan make a total of about 21 million

Ok Nash, Staal and Stepan is around 21 Million also.

Toews
Kane
Any moving particle on the planet earth

is better than

Nash
Stepan
Staal

Just because you spend 21M on two players doesn't make it a bad signing. Not when the two players are Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. This is taking injury possibility into account as well.

Agree to Disagree.

BarbaraAlphanse

Good post, I agree with you.

I think he has already won the 7th D spot, barring a catastrophic final game this preseason.

As such, I think he will be thrown into situations to test his regular season adequacy. Diaz will stay as the 8th D. If Dylan can play 1-2 months and maintain this level of play vs. Starters, klein will be shipped come Nov/Dec and Diaz will become the 7th D.

He needs the minutes. He is the future. Klein is not. If he can show he is as good as KK for a month, Klein is gone.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Ok Nash, Staal and Stepan is around 21 Million also.

Toews
Kane
Any moving particle on the planet earth

is better than

Nash
Stepan
Staal

Just because you spend 21M on two players doesn't make it a bad signing. Not when the two players are Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. This is taking injury possibility into account as well.

Agree to Disagree.

Lol slick change to Staal

You just put all your eggs in one basket when you invest that 21 million into only two players. I guess we will see how it works by the end of the season

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I think he has already won the 7th D spot, barring a catastrophic final game this preseason.

As such, I think he will be thrown into situations to test his regular season adequacy. Diaz will stay as the 8th D. If Dylan can play 1-2 months and maintain this level of play vs. Starters, klein will be shipped come Nov/Dec and Diaz will become the 7th D.

He needs the minutes. He is the future. Klein is not. If he can show he is as good as KK for a month, Klein is gone.

The future is now.

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Klein
Yandle
McIlrath
Diaz

1: There's 8 names there. The 7 names that give us the best chance to win should and will be the 7 that are picked to make the roster.

2: After that, the 6 names that give us the best chance to win should and will be the ones that play on a regular basis.

3: The worst one out of the 7 will be the 7th D-man and play when injuries occur

This is a simple, three-step process.

The chips will fall as they fall but this is the process all 8 should have to go through.
Nothing else (age, contract, etc...) should be taken into consideration. The roster is already in place, now we just have to pick the best players.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Lol slick change to Staal

You just put all your eggs in one basket when you invest that 21 million into only two players. I guess we will see how it works by the end of the season

Changed it to Staal because you are disagreeing with Chicago's decision to give Toews and Kane 21 million.

We gave Nash, Stepan, and Staal 21 million.

I'd trade our 3 for their 2. They can throw in absolutely anything they want, including a dead walrus, to be the third piece to fit your example.

Our 21 million would not be greater than their 21 million. Their 21 million was not ill-advised spending.

Last edited:

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Changed it to Staal because you are disagreeing with Chicago's decision to give Toews and Kane 21 million.

We gave Nash, Stepan, and Staal 21 million.

I'd trade our 3 for their 2. They can throw in absolutely anything they want, including a dead walrus, to be the third piece to fit your example.

Our 21 million is not greater than their 21 million. There 21 million was not ill-advised spending.
I disagree but if the cap jumped like it was supposed to then you're 100% correct

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I disagree but if the cap jumped like it was supposed to then you're 100% correct

Dead Walrus-Toews-Kane
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Etem
Stalberg-Moore-Fast

Skjei replaces Staal

I say the dead walrus puts up 50 points

And this lineup wins the cup for the next 6 years

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You keep saying that much cap tied between two people is bad when its really not because these guys can win with just two of them.

I guess we will see this season.

Toews and Kane went from 6.3m to 10.5m

That's a total of 8.4 million extra tied up in those 2 players. The cap has gone up by about 2.4m which means they had to cup 6 million in cap space to make it fit under the cap. That is a lot of quality leaving the team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dead Walrus-Toews-Kane
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Etem
Stalberg-Moore-Fast

Skjei replaces Staal

I say the dead walrus puts up 50 points

And this lineup wins the cup for the next 6 years

And how do you plan to extend the contracts of Kreider, Hayes, Etem and Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad