Confirmed with Link: Rangers Expected to Sign Patrick Nemeth: Brooks

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
A very oversimplified way to understand the salary cap, or at least the way i choose to view it... If the cap is 80m and you have roughly 20 players to ice. (I know you can have up to 23 on your roster, but ignore that for the sake of this simplicity). 80m divided by 20 players = 4m/player.

For every player you have on your roster that makes over 4m, you need to have one or more players making under 4m. E.G. for every Panarin making 11.6m, you need a whole bunch of players who make substantially less than 4m to make everything fit under the cap.

Right now, the Rangers have 5 players making over 4m -- Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Trouba and Strome.

If you combine those 5 players AAV into one large pot -- they are over that 4m median by about 16.5m . That means the remaining 16 contracts have to average out at about 3mAAV. And if the roster is 22, then those remaining contracts have to average out at 2.6m/year.

With all the current ELCs we are fine. But the minute we start hitting that area where we're at 10 contracts over 4m, and a 2-3 more in that 3m range, money will need to move, and vets will need to be replaced with ELCs or players taking vet minimum.

That's why, it often makes sense to give a guy an extra year if it means getting him at 2.5m as opposed to 3m a year. But if that player is going to become the 7th Dman who only sees spot duty than even that 2.5m becomes very untenable very fast - if you're icing a competitive, deep squad.

In any case, that 4m a year median salary, which really should be like 3.7 with 22-23 contracts, is a good barometer to consider when we look at these depth signings. The closer a given depth player gets to 4m or even 3m, the sooner that contract will force other cap maneuvering decisions.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
"Patrik Nemeth, signed 3x$2.5M by NYR, didn't have a very good playoff round against Vegas but otherwise has been a very effective defensive defenceman who has played both top and bottom pair roles in the past few seasons."

Seems decent. I wouldn't trust all fans opinions because many fans only remember some specific mistakes or only see offensive play. That being said I don't know much about Nemeth but there is some potential according to these numbers.

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-29_3-58-0.png
    upload_2021-7-29_3-58-0.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 6

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Nemeth was NOT good this season. Especially in the playoffs…

He blocked 14 shots (second best on team) and delivered 20 hits in playoffs this season (third best on team?), not mentioning his mistakes right now though.... ;-)

Nemeth is underrated for sure (by most experts not living in Colorado) but his role and style is far from flashy as a very loyal stay at home defensive d-man. I feel Nemeth is a bit of a "last man standing" type of player. (In a war they are the last ones to die.) ;-) These type of players tend to become appreciated by the coach in difficult situations (like penalty killing) but whipping boys by the fans ("experts") which isn't always fair since they get tons of difficult icetime.

He is a big dude too which is attractive for some teams.

I believe Nemeth had some injury issues the last season, if he goes back to his good old self you will probably be happy about him (still likely becoming a whipping boy though).

His slapshot is sometimes massive (he is a strong dude) but rarely used, not sure why. (Probably because he is very defensive minded and restricted by the coaches.)

He is a bit laid back and usually better in really important games, Nemeth is the kind of player needing a really tough coach. He was without any doubt one of Sweden's most important player in the finals when winning WJC gold and also he scored the winning goal when Texas Star winning the Calder Cup.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
"Patrik Nemeth, signed 3x$2.5M by NYR, didn't have a very good playoff round against Vegas but otherwise has been a very effective defensive defenceman who has played both top and bottom pair roles in the past few seasons."

Seems decent. I wouldn't trust all fans opinions because many fans only remember some specific mistakes or only see offensive play. That being said I don't know much about Nemeth but there is some potential according to these numbers.

The way I see it, he may not be perfect but you are no scrub if you are playing top pairing minutes on a President Trophy winning team.

Reactions: gabevh3

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He blocked 14 shots (second best on team) and delivered 20 hits in playoffs this season (third best on team?), not mentioning his mistakes right now though.... ;-)

Nemeth is underrated for sure (by most experts not living in Colorado) but his role and style is far from flashy as a very loyal stay at home defensive d-man. I feel Nemeth is a bit of a "last man standing" type of player. (In a war they are the last ones to die.) ;-) These type of players tend to become appreciated by the coach in difficult situations (like penalty killing) but whipping boys by the fans ("experts") which isn't always fair since they get tons of difficult icetime.

He is a big dude too which is attractive for some teams.

I believe Nemeth had some injury issues the last season, if he goes back to his good old self you will probably be happy about him (still likely becoming a whipping boy though).

His slapshot is sometimes massive (he is a strong dude) but rarely used, not sure why. (Probably because he is very defensive minded and restricted by the coaches.)

He is a bit laid back and usually better in really important games, Nemeth is the kind of player needing a really tough coach. He was without any doubt one of Sweden's most important player in the finals when winning WJC gold and also he scored the winning goal when Texas Star winning the Calder Cup.

Thanks for the insight! This is what HF is all about imo

Reactions: gabevh3 and 21

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
His slapshot is sometimes massive (he is a strong dude) but rarely used...
...usually better in really important games, Nemeth is the kind of player needing a really tough coach. He was without any doubt one of Sweden's most important player in the finals when winning WJC gold and also he scored the winning goal when Texas Star winning the Calder Cup.

thanks for this
if he can use that shot for NYR, that will be an asset,
NYR D don't seem to get enough shots on goal,
actually a part of Jones' game i liked alot was that he has that ability to get pucks through traffic and on net

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
thanks for this
if he can use that shot for NYR, that will be an asset,
NYR D don't seem to get enough shots on goal,
actually a part of Jones' game i liked alot was that he has that ability to get pucks through traffic and on net
Unfortunately Nemeth is not using his slapshot very often :-( what you get in Nemeth is a very defensive minded and loyal d-man. A lot depends on the coach though.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately Nemeth is not using his slapshot very often :-( what you get in Nemeth is a very defensive minded and loyal d-man. A lot depends on the coach though.
That's exactly what we want coming from a bottom pair dman. Just make sure the puck stays out of the net, we don't care about his slapshot haha.

Reactions: 21

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm also sure Nemeth and Zibanejad know each other pretty well. :) Probably the two most important players in the WJC finals vs Russia 2012, a great moment for Swedish hockey.

Nemeth's important play at 02:01 and Zibanejad's goal

Also Patrick Nemeth Calder Cup Winning Goal, Texas Stars vs St. John's 2014

Last edited:
Reactions: gabevh3

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Nemeth seems like a guy who might make mistakes that will stand out now and then but game to game to game he will be fine as a 3rd pairing defender

It's partly because he is a responsible loyal stay at home type of defenseman, he never ever shy away from action and it's common he is the last guy together with the goalie trying to stop the opponents, it's not a flashy role facing tons of really difficult situations, sometimes he will look stupid, yes. Not to forget: Nemeth is probably one of the best PK players in the entire NHL and this is no exaggeration at all, I would say he is top 5 in this regard. If you don't believe me all you have to do is wait and see for yourself.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It's a bit funny with Nemeth.

The coaches seems to like him and utilizing him in a lot of critical situations like in PK facing the opponents best players. Bednar even brought him back to Colorado.

Usually quickly becoming the whipping boy among the fans though, in New York Rangers too.

The big question is, who are the true experts here, the coaches or the fans? :sarcasm:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's a bit funny with Nemeth.

The coaches seems to like him and utilizing him in a lot of critical situations like in PK facing the opponents best players. Bednar even brought him back to Colorado.

Usually quickly becoming the whipping boy among the fans though, in New York Rangers too.

The big question is, who are the true experts here, the coaches or the fans? :sarcasm:
Nemeth has played very well thus far. This post is poor timing on your part. Go back to the Colorado board. You can try this post again in a couple months and see if it fits better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad