Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils | 3/19/13 | No Marty, No Fun :(

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
Let's get real. Lundqvist absolutely stole this game.

I think Richards HAS been much better the last few games, but I think Gaborik is still invisible. He's been marginally better the last two games, but he still floats around, is softer than a marshmallow and looks like he couldn't care less.

Great to get back in the playoff race, but, while I like Miller's game, even with the mistakes, we are going nowhere with a thrid and fourth line that can't score into an empty net. Top lines get shut down in the playoffs, period.

Here"s the goalscored by tonight's 3rd and 4th lines this season;

Miller - 2 (in one game, and he's the guy I like)
Boyle - 2 (one of which hit him in the ass and went in)
Pyatt - 3 (no points practically in a month)
Haley - 0
Halpern - 0
Powe - 0
Asham (assuming he's back soon) - 1

Teams with good third and fourth lines win in the playoffs -it's why we lost to the Devils last year.

those are some brutal stats. we need a couple of 15-20 goal scorers on our third line.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
those are some brutal stats. we need a couple of 15-20 goal scorers on our third line.

Don't know why they don't bring up Kreider and let him play with Miller on the third line with Pyatt, move Brian (I skate like an old lady) Boyle to the fourth line with Powe and Halpern, sit Asham and Haley except when they need a fighter.

Did like Boyle's hit on Volchenkov, but Boyle is behind every play or flopping on the ice.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Let's get real. Lundqvist absolutely stole this game.

I think Richards HAS been much better the last few games, but I think Gaborik is still invisible. He's been marginally better the last two games, but he still floats around, is softer than a marshmallow and looks like he couldn't care less.

Great to get back in the playoff race, but, while I like Miller's game, even with the mistakes, we are going nowhere with a thrid and fourth line that can't score into an empty net. Top lines get shut down in the playoffs, period.

Here"s the goalscored by tonight's 3rd and 4th lines this season;

Miller - 2 (in one game, and he's the guy I like)
Boyle - 2 (one of which hit him in the ass and went in)
Pyatt - 3 (no points practically in a month)
Haley - 0
Halpern - 0
Powe - 0
Asham (assuming he's back soon) - 1

Teams with good third and fourth lines win in the playoffs -it's why we lost to the Devils last year.

Pyatt has 4 goals this season, but three of them came when he was playing on the 2nd line during the first few weeks of the season.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
Don't know why they don't bring up Kreider and let him play with Miller on the third line with Pyatt, move Brian (I skate like an old lady) Boyle to the fourth line with Powe and Halpern, sit Asham and Haley except when they need a fighter.

Did like Boyle's hit on Volchenkov, but Boyle is behind every play or flopping on the ice.

and then give that third line some decent minutes. its a good idea but probably won't happen.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
David Clarkson will be a NYR next season if he doesn't resign before the summer.. tons of people talking in his ear and maybe I am one of them :naughty:

He's gonna get like $5.5M.

Hell no to that. Solid player, but he's not worth 1st line money, which he'll get in such a terrible free agent pool.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, best 60 minute effort in a couple weeks.

Wait what?

Lundqvist plays even average and we lose by a few. The Rangers had a lot more quality scoring chances, but they made the same mistakes they usually do.

Missing the net on an odd man rush and having it wrap around the boards to give the other team an odd man rush is something you learn not to do in pee wee. Our forwards also did terrible along the boards, similar to the Ottawa game. They did however clog the slot well, and Lundqvist had quite a bit of support at the end stretch.

TBH I thought the game in Carolina was better played by the Rangers.

Lundqvist and MDZ were fantastic.

Gaborik created a ton tonight actually, I was quite surprised.

Miller made some plays that stunned me. For every ridiculously stupid giveaway he makes, his confidence makes up for it with an intelligent play.

Definitely not a bad game, but people that couldn't see it didn't miss out.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
And Boyle only has one according to ESPN/TSN.

I stand corrected, but my total is the same, and the point is obvious (I thought Boyle got credit for a shot from the point that glanced off his butt earlier in the season, but I guess not), the other goal was a week ago against the Crapitals.

BTW, would like Clarkson on the team as a 3rd liner, he worth probably about what Prust got from Montreal, you can't overpay in a cap league (remember, cap goes down 5 mil next season and you have several guys including McD off his ELC).

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
David Clarkson will be a NYR next season if he doesn't resign before the summer.. tons of people talking in his ear and maybe I am one of them :naughty:

I couldn't take that. I hate that guy. Something about his face, I just wanna smash it. Just the way he looks just pisses me off.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
I couldn't take that. I hate that guy. Something about his face, I just wanna smash it. Just the way he looks just pisses me off.

he looks like the type of guy from high school that is a wise ass and at the same time a bully but is popular...then years later because he peaked in high school he gains like 60bs and becomes a janitor...that's what you meant right?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Couldn't disagree with this post anymore than I already do.

Richards had a good game against the Hurricanes, but aside from that, has been terrible for the past 5-7 games. I've always been a fan of Richards, and I liked his play last season, but this year he has been a detriment on the ice. Maybe it's lack of conditioning, maybe it's age, but whatever it is, it's clearly taken away Richards' effectiveness.

Gaborik, on the other hand, despite his physical shortcomings, has been by far better than Richards over the course of this season, and is still generating chances. He had an excellent game tonight, setting up a couple of quality offensive chances, and hustling in the offensive zone. I can tell the goals are going to come for Gaborik, he's trying, they're just not going in for him. Especially over the last 4-5 games, he's played very well.

That being said, while Gaborik has played well, he STILL needs to pick up his play. He needs to finish, that's his job. He has 1 goal in his last 16 games. Unacceptable. Neither of these player's play has generally been acceptable, but I'm willing to give Gaborik a bit more leeway as A) he's creating offensive chances and B) he's had a better history with the Rangers than Richards has had. He's proven he can succeed on this team. Richards hasn't done that as of yet, and it looks like he may never do so. I hope I'm wrong, though.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Couldn't disagree with this post anymore than I already do.

Richards had a good game against the Hurricanes, but aside from that, has been terrible for the past 5-7 games. I've always been a fan of Richards, and I liked his play last season, but this year he has been a detriment on the ice. Maybe it's lack of conditioning, maybe it's age, but whatever it is, it's clearly taken away Richards' effectiveness.

Gaborik, on the other hand, despite his physical shortcomings, has been by far better than Richards over the course of this season, and is still generating chances. He had an excellent game tonight, setting up a couple of quality offensive chances, and hustling in the offensive zone. I can tell the goals are going to come for Gaborik, he's trying, they're just not going in for him. Especially over the last 4-5 games, he's played very well.

That being said, while Gaborik has played well, he STILL needs to pick up his play. He needs to finish, that's his job. He has 1 goal in his last 16 games. Unacceptable. Neither of these player's play has generally been acceptable, but I'm willing to give Gaborik a lot more leeway as A) he's creating offensive chances and B) he's had a better history with the Rangers than Richards has had. He's proven he can succeed on this team. Richards hasn't done that as of yet, and it looks like he may never do so. I hope I'm wrong, though.

This. Exactly. Gaborik has played really well lately. He is finally shooting the puck and generating chances. He had some really good looks the last few games. The goals Richards scored lately weren't really a product of his good doing as much as him benefiting from good play by teammates. Right now, it's an embarrassment that these guys are the 2nd and 3rd highest cap hits on our team.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
To say that Gaborik was invisible tonight makes me wonder what people have against the guy.

This is Post Game Talk.
Let's just talk about this game.
He was everywhere tonight, and very involved. Played a blazingly fast game with all kinds of effort, and makes me emphasize yet again why I would like to see Gaborik stay.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Both Gabby & Richards played REALLY good games tonight....I can't believe ppl would nitpick their games. you don't ALWAYS score....those guys did a LOT of good things, they were positives for us, and they seem to be getting better every game. don't break up this line...let them really get going....most importantly because it allows Cally, Hagelin, and Stepan to stay together, whose games are so perfect for each other.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
For all the flack Hamrlik gets, I actually really like his breakout passes,he is a very smart player on the ice who knows his shortcomings and makes the right play with the puck 75%of the time ( which is more than Eminger, Bickel, Gilroy)

Stralman-Hamrlik is more than acceptable as a third pairing.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Staal
Hamrlik-Stralman
Eminger/Bickel
Gilroy (warm body for depth, can always flip him at the deadline for a pick as well)

Even though we won the last 2 games, i'm still not comfortable with the way the forwards play in the D-zone. We need more structure, and we need to use the middle of the ice instead of the boards ( which DZ does very well, and the reason why Nash scored the GWG tonight. Great heads-up play.

Now we need Richards and Gaborik to wake up to give us a much needed infusion of offense. Give Kreider his call-up too, he deserves it.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Lmao, great poll!

That was just a fun game to watch from start to finish, great to see for a change! And I got to watch it after having just come home from the Jets game, so tonight was pretty sweet all around!

Please oh hockey gods, please do not let the Rangers play the Jets in the first round if both teams make it! :nono:

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Tremendous Poll. I was the person who said in the GDT, have not heard Eminger's name all night, a minute later he took the penalty haha.

Vickers8

For all the flack Hamrlik gets, I actually really like his breakout passes,he is a very smart player on the ice who knows his shortcomings and makes the right play with the puck 75%of the time ( which is more than Eminger, .

Eminger has to stop taking these stupid penalties especially in a 1 goal game with 5 minutes left...get well soon Marc!

Vickers8

Richards has to hit the net on that 4 on 2 at the end of the game, 15-20 feet in the slot you can't miss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad