Confirmed with Link: Rangers claim F Jake Leschyshyn

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If he were their first choice, he'd be in Montreal today and Jake would be scratched. What are you talking about? Clearly my point has been made - the evidence is right in front of you today.
neither Hartford, nor NYR, are "in Montreal today"

and there is no certainty\evidence that NYR would have declined to claim jake

evaluation, and action, re 23-year-olds is different than re 28's
and NYR has to presume they'll need them both/all to navigate the rest of this season

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
When I started this thread, I was pretty sure I'd be beaten to the punch by several others in the five minutes it took me to make sure I was spelling his name correctly. :laugh:
I have no doubt that @duhmetreE got Leschychrun as he typed from keyboard memory.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
neither Hartford, nor NYR, are "in Montreal today"

and there is no certainty\evidence that NYR would have declined to claim jake

evaluation, and action, re 23-year-olds is different than re 28's
and NYR has to presume they'll need them both/all to navigate the rest of this season

Okay, so it's a home game - that further reinforces the point that A.) Rhydal is healthy B.) is a car ride away from the game and C.) isn't playing/called up and Jake is in the lineup.

My entire point was the Rangers don't view Rhydal with the rose colored glasses that some around here do and the evidence clearly points to that. Sure, it's nice to have depth, but do you think that if there are injuries, let's say, in round one of the playoffs that Rhydal is going to get the nod even over a guy like Carpenter?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The team signed Rydahl in the offseason. Most everyone said it was a good depth move. Grabbing a young center with some NHL experience for nothin with a couple of years of team control on his contract left seems like a similar type of move.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Okay, so it's a home game - that further reinforces the point that A.) Rhydal is healthy B.) is a car ride away from the game and C.) isn't playing/called up and Jake is in the lineup.

My entire point was the Rangers don't view Rhydal with the rose colored glasses that some around here do and the evidence clearly points to that. Sure, it's nice to have depth, but do you think that if there are injuries, let's say, in round one of the playoffs that Rhydal is going to get the nod even over a guy like Carpenter?
i don't share your urgency or certainty re Rydahl situation

NYR gonna have man-games missed due to injury, and all are gonna be needed

fact is, Rydahl has had multiple stretches of missed AHL games when dinged up,
yet he was the guy they recalled to Montreal when a potential need arose

not convinced that your 'entire point' actually reflects Rangers view
not trying to change your, or anyone's mind, NONE OF US actually know

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
i don't share your urgency or certainty re Rydahl situation

NYR gonna have man-games missed due to injury, and all are gonna be needed

fact is, Rydahl has had multiple stretches of missed AHL games when dinged up,
yet he was the guy they recalled to Montreal when a potential need arose

not convinced that your 'entire point' actually reflects Rangers view
not trying to change your, or anyone's mind, NONE OF US actually know

There's nothing urgent about it. The evidence is in front of you.

If the Rangers have Rhydal pegged as a 13th or 14th forward and/or 5th C option they:

A.) Likely wouldn't have claimed a forward for the exact same role as he would have
B.) Wouldn't have played that claimed forward in front of him if he were a "depth" acquisition

Rhydal is further down the depth chart than some around here think he is (like saying he can more or less take Goodrow's place) and the Ranger's actions seem to bear that out.

Sure, he was recalled when there were Chytil was a question mark and Brodzinski's wife went into labor but the it was either him or Carpenter and it speaks volumes that the Rangers felt the need to claim yet another option.

But, yes, you're right that none of us know and this is MY opinion.

Further strengthening my point:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
There's nothing urgent about it. The evidence is in front of you.

If the Rangers have Rhydal pegged as a 13th or 14th forward and/or 5th C option they:

A.) Likely wouldn't have claimed a forward for the exact same role as he would have
B.) Wouldn't have played that claimed forward in front of him if he were a "depth" acquisition

Rhydal is further down the depth chart than some around here think he is (like saying he can more or less take Goodrow's place) and the Ranger's actions seem to bear that out.

Sure, he was recalled when there were Chytil was a question mark and Brodzinski's wife went into labor but the it was either him or Carpenter and it speaks volumes that the Rangers felt the need to claim yet another option.

I don't see that strengthening your point, because last night was Rydahl's 1st AHL game back from injury, makes more sense to keep him down, for the back to back w Prov, to see how well he is.

Anyway, these next few months should be more revealing of how NYR FO values and trusts Rydahl.

Thanks for taking time to discuss.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don't see that strengthening your point, because last night was Rydahl's 1st AHL game back from injury, makes more sense to keep him down, for the back to back w Prov, to see how well he is.

Anyway, these next few months should be more revealing of how NYR FO values and trusts Rydahl.

once Blais is gone hopefully Rydahl can take his spot.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

A pleasure to have a discussion with you as well.

It's not like he was out for an extended period - roughly a week. If he was healthy and the big club needed him then that's what takes precedence over all.

All I'm saying is that he's now 6th on the depth chart @ C. That's not necessarily a bad problem to have given what normally goes on in the playoffs.

Cheers

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If he were their first choice, he'd be in Montreal today and Jake would be scratched. What are you talking about? Clearly my point has been made - the evidence is right in front of you today.

That's not what we were talking about. This whole conversation was about why they claimed Leschyshyn.

Rydahl being healthy today doesn't really change their situation when they put in the claim.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That's not what we were talking about. This whole conversation was about why they claimed Leschyshyn.

Rydahl being healthy today doesn't really change their situation when they put in the claim.

This whole conversation started with me saying:

"It's a no risk move and it speaks volumes about what the Rangers think of Rhydal as an NHL'er."

So, yes, it's on point. He's healthy and the waiver claim is ahead of him on the depth chart and playing for the Rangers. There's not much of a case to be made against that. I'm sure the Rangers were aware of his status coming into this weekend.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado

As I was posting this...

I'm totally unfamiliar with waiver rules, but I believe Carpenter was placed on waivers, not claimed, sent down to the AHL, didn't play for the NYR for 30 days, and he's now waivers-exempt for the rest of the season, correct?

Edited to add: I'm also guessing Leschyshyn is waivers-exempt going forward?

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
As I was posting this...

I'm totally unfamiliar with waiver rules, but I believe Carpenter was placed on waivers, not claimed, sent down to the AHL, didn't play for the NYR for 30 days, and he's now waivers-exempt for the rest of the season, correct?

I wish both were waivers eligible and got claimed because they stink

• Haha
Reactions: pseudoswede

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
As I was posting this...

Carpenter cleared, so he is exempt unless he plays 10 games or is on the roster for 30 days. Leschyshyn did not clear waivers, so he would have to pass through waivers in order to be sent down.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
The 4th line was pretty bad against Montreal. They looked much better against Columbus, but so did everybody. Columbus didn't do much of anything well.

Leschyshyn, so far, seems to be a player that is just there. He hasn't been an energy guy, or a physical guy, or a defensive guy. He just exists. Maybe he shows more in a few more games, but this seems to be how he was in Vegas as well.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The 4th line was pretty bad against Montreal. They looked much better against Columbus, but so did everybody. Columbus didn't do much of anything well.

Leschyshyn, so far, seems to be a player that is just there. He hasn't been an energy guy, or a physical guy, or a defensive guy. He just exists. Maybe he shows more in a few more games, but this seems to be how he was in Vegas as well.
Yup, he doesn't do anything is just a background character.

Reactions: Number 9

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Yup, he doesn't do anything is just a background character.
Looks like we have another Darroll Powe situation, where the lone suspense will be "Will Leschyshyn score a single point this year?"

Just feels like we could call up any player from Hartford and they'd be able to provide the same type of game. Rather see Tim Gettinger clog up the middle and do little to nothing. At least he is homegrown :).

Reactions: Number 9

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
this is why you need lots of guys
any team can lose 4 F's, to extended injury, within a week...

Montreal injury update:
Juraj Slafkovsky (lower-body) out three months.
Jonathan Drouin (upper-body) out until the All-Star Break.
Joel Armia (upper-body) out until the All-Star Break.
Jake Evans (lower-body) out 8-10 weeks.
12:07 PM · Jan 18, 2023

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Totally agree with this. He didn't look out of place. He didn't cough up the puck. Didn't really see any mistakes.
He was better than expected for me to be honest. Hope he gets more time at center. Rangers should send Brodzinski down over Jake in my opinion. More upside and at 23 he still has room to improve. has not played much in Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad