Confirmed with Link: Rangers Buy Out Contract of Henrik Lundqvist

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So much of my early fandom is tethered to idolizing Hank and Richter. This one really hurts, and it sucks that this is happening the day after another one of my favorite players just won the Cup last night.

Thanks for everything, Henke. You defined what it meant to be a Ranger for 15 years.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I think that would be a good fit for him. I'd love to see him give it one go where he can either back up or split time with a goalie on a contender.

It just doesn't feel right that he retires without a Cup.

I'd literally root for him anywhere he went.
He's not getting a cup playing for the Country Club Caps.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
2014 should have ended differently. That will always be with me.

It ended exactly as it should. They were completely over matched. No team with Rick Nash leading the way and a degrading Dan Girardi on the back end was going to compete with a team that had Kopitar, Doughty, Gaborik, Williams, Carter, and Quick.

Rangers were there because of Lundqvist [and because McDonagh was the back bone defensively]. They had no business hanging with the Kings.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It ended exactly as it should. They were completely over matched. No team with Rick Nash leading the way and a degrading Dan Girardi on the back end was going to compete with a team that had Kopitar, Doughty, Gaborik, Williams, Carter, and Quick.

Rangers were there because of Lundqvist [and because McDonagh was the back bone defensively]. They had no business hanging with the Kings.
That will always be a tough one for me. No doubt LAK deserved to win. They played better. Still, losing three in OT--a two goal lead, three two goal leads in another game--it was eminently winnable. You know you didn't "deserve" it, but with a bounce here or there and maybe you get lucky. I feel like lots of winners in sports enjoy some degree of luck when they win it all. Coulda been us. Wasn't meant to be.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
That will always be a tough one for me. No doubt LAK deserved to win. They played better. Still, losing three in OT--a two goal lead, three two goal leads in another game--it was eminently winnable. You know you didn't "deserve" it, but with a bounce here or there and maybe you get lucky. I feel like lots of winners in sports enjoy some degree of luck when they win it all. Coulda been us. Wasn't meant to be.

I agree. Luck plays a huge role in any win. And you have to think, if Zucc is 100% and in the line up, when the games are that close, he could have been a difference maker.

The series definitely could have gone 6 or 7 with some luck. But, the right team won. They were just better than the Rangers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why can’t YouTubers ever make highlight videos without inserting their own music?

The lyrics fit but the music just doesn't really mix with hockey content IMO. The person who made this just picked it because the song is about hall of fame etc.

Not a big fan of the abrupt ending either

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Sad to see it end this way but seems like it was the only option. Wish Hank had gotten a better send off but glad the front office is putting the team and it's future at the top of the list.

One of the best to ever put on the jersey. Absolute legend.

We will undoubtedly see the greatest homecoming celebration when his number gets raised. It will all be amended.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Expected and long anticipated/discussed but still gut wrenching. I was 15 when Leetch was traded. Not old enough to have fully appreciated him or understand how it feels to have a legend depart. This is the most painful departure, for me, of my entire 30+ year fandom. Having it end in a buyout is so... tainting and unfitting. Love the guy. He’ll be king Henrik forever.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is so weird. When Sather traded Leetch, that was like top 5 most heartbreaking days or my life and I swore I would never forgive him for that.

Idk if that was just because I was 14 years old and it was hormones and that was the first true heartbreak I had ever experienced and now as a 30 year old I'm so jaded that I don't even care anymore, but the only thought is that I have immense respect for Gorton for having the balls to pull this off.

If he doesnt bring a Cup to NY his legacy will be "the guy who bought out the best player in franchise history".

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Expected and long anticipated/discussed but still gut wrenching. I was 15 when Leetch was traded. Not old enough to have fully appreciated him or understand how it feels to have a legend depart. This is the most painful departure, for me, of my entire 30+ year fandom. Having it end in a buyout is so... tainting and unfitting. Love the guy. He’ll be king Henrik forever.

So weird I just posted this, except it is the opposite. I was 14 when Leetch was traded and when I found out I think I froze in place and I was inconsolable for days. Leetch was my all time favorite.

Now when I saw this news I was honestly just like "good for f***ing you Gorts".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad