London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
If one of the big four leaves Toronto this summer, as talk around Toronto seem to suggest, I am guessing we will bid our goodbyes to Cowan, I doubt the Maple Leafs will keep him if there are no bottom six minutes for him with another year of junior availability. He could play top six NHL minutes if he stay, or go back to junior and tweak up on better managing his skating and on his physical strengthening, he will be loved by the fans in Toronto once he gets there, and for a long time too. IMHO
I think the opposite. If the big 4 are still there that 900k salary will look very tempting for the type of player it gets you. More likely he sticks.

purple pharrt

Jan 23, 2024
sec 107 r2
Leafs have the payroll albatross of their "core four" that precludes them of constructing any sort of legitimate supporting cast. Those 4 players can only do so much, and other teams have proven that they can win without an all-star cast of players. When one does rise to the occasion, they can't afford to give them a decent raise to retain them ( Zack Hyman being a prime example )

That's where a guy like Cowan becomes a valuable stop-gap solution. Decent player coming in with minimal expense, so he could very well stick, just to provide some support within their cap space allotment. Very few rookies make the big team, straight out of Junior, but the financial considerations could have a significant bearing, as to whether or not Cowan plays next season as a Knight, or a Leaf.

Just my opinion, given the Leafs more recent history.

4kmm4

Jun 12, 2013
It would be so LEAFS if they ruin another 19 year old. Cowan should be sent back. But it's the Leafs.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I think the opposite. If the big 4 are still there that 900k salary will look very tempting for the type of player it gets you. More likely he sticks.
Exactly. In the salary cap era, if you have most of your cap tied up in 4/5 guys (as alot of teams do), you need quite a few players either on super cheap contracts or elc's. I don't think they mind if they rush Cowan so long as they can keep the core together.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Not suggesting they go away from community ownership. I’m saying the people who are hired can own the London model and implement it. DeBoer did it in Plymouth and Kitchener. Vellucci did in Plymouth. Of course having owners that are hockey ops help but it can also come down to hiring the right people in a strong market like Kitchener.
Unfortunately when everyone has a voice, it tends to lead to risk adverse decisions. DeBoer did a great job in Kitchener, exactly what you wanted, but where is the incentive to stay? It made total sense for Hunter to stay. It's a very successful family business.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
These are all good talking points, everyone for or against have something good to say and reasoning behind them.

When I first suggested it, it was Lazary's immature comment(s) that got my attention, and how the league is being run today. And yet OHL, in my opinion is the best league of the three CHL leagues. I am getting the feeling, and it might be just me, around the league teams are getting tired of dealing with the big bad and powerful London team. Instead of following their foot steps and improving to London's level, they want to bring London down to the rest of the teams' in the league. There comes a time when the bubble will burst, it might in the heads of the Hunter brothers right now. Love to see them staying in London if this is on their minds. AHL are on their way up, every years they are breaking attendance record, as long as the players, at the AHL level, has the fire burning in them for NHL, there will be professionalism in their attitudes and plays and the same for league management

Average 5,920...

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Average 5,920...
Look, I am not in the argument point, I am in the talking point. I do understand what you are suggesting, I just don't quite see the relevant of it. I mean London just played the second overall OHL team in their home rink and they couldn't come up to 4000 fans in a 5000 seat arena. It has not barrier on the Knights success at home. I don't know, maybe I thought London was big enough city to move up to international league, attracting businesses from down south, usually this is what big city do. Maybe London is not ready for bigger markets yet, or couldn't handle the higher traffic

Reactions: zman77

dino200022

I just think that London is a junior hockey town, Friday night lights. Very rarely is London "selling" out games vs Guelph on a Wednesday or Kitchener on a Sunday. They say it is sold out, but my eye don't fool me with all the empty seats on those days.

Pro teams have such a scattered schedule and with today's economy one of the two would cannibalize the other. I think the Knights would come out on top based on some other peoples arguments about seeing marketable stars.

I do see this potentially being a viable option/location for a PWHL team perhaps if they are willing to go to a "smaller" city if they expand.

I highly doubt the Hunters have outgrown the CHL. They are bringing in millions doing something that they love, all while giving their kids and relatives job within the industry. Not to mention the farm is right down the street and they enjoy their farm time!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Easton Cowan taking home some hardware (though it pains me to recognize this as a Sens fan...)

A true hockey fans recognises a hockey player's success and achievement, even if he plays for the opposition, that is not treason to your favorite team. You are of that hockey fan category my friend, thanks for recognising it

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
The edition of Edward was huge in the last game now augmented by a healthy Wooley and Lawrence, we should have a better team tonight.

Stay out of the box, never stop checking them and FFS do not play a trap and collapse! Keep forechecking and make Saginaw work to clear the puck!

Let’s go!!!!!!!!!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I just think that London is a junior hockey town, Friday night lights. Very rarely is London "selling" out games vs Guelph on a Wednesday or Kitchener on a Sunday. They say it is sold out, but my eye don't fool me with all the empty seats on those days.

Pro teams have such a scattered schedule and with today's economy one of the two would cannibalize the other. I think the Knights would come out on top based on some other peoples arguments about seeing marketable stars.

I do see this potentially being a viable option/location for a PWHL team perhaps if they are willing to go to a "smaller" city if they expand.

I highly doubt the Hunters have outgrown the CHL. They are bringing in millions doing something that they love, all while giving their kids and relatives job within the industry. Not to mention the farm is right down the street and they enjoy their farm time!
Have to agree with you, it's a hockey tradition in London for many years, why ending it, even if it means taking more abuses from jalous teams. There are no better places to watch a junior hockey game

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Saginaw has the ability to control play for stretches.
Mentioned last series Haight was more physical than I thought and his line brought concern every shift as the game wore on. Tough to control ( Beck,Haight, Bloom I think )
Sapolvaliv is a gamer and dangerous most shifts once the puck gets on his stick.
Donovan n Hache anchor that back end.
Simpson as mentioned earlier proving his worth these 12 PO games when Sagnasty does pressure.
Early recognition by LK n grabbed him at a good price.
Just hope Dionicio gives LK a couple more breaks today that lead to a turn em go situation ending up behind Lalonde (Oke) ;)
Looking forward to the atmosphere tonight.
Won't be easy. Saginaw is skilled.

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
LK has to look to take advantage of Saginaw getting aggressive offensively.
Turn em and go. And they need to capitalize on those rushes the other way.
Speed thru the blue lines is key.
Sag can control the O zone at times but ya gotta stay balanced. I'd rather that than Sag flying thru the blues

Reactions: Ferguson Jenkins

jimbarrou

May 17, 2016
London
The edition of Edward was huge in the last game now augmented by a healthy Wooley and Lawrence, we should have a better team tonight.

Stay out of the box, never stop checking them and FFS do not play a trap and collapse! Keep forechecking and make Saginaw work to clear the puck!

I hate when London has an incredible first period, has a healthy lead and then comes out in the 2nd and plays a defensive structured game. We all hate it, but you know it’s going to happen 😬

Let’s go!!!!!!!!!
I hate when London has an incredible first period, has a healthy lead and then comes out in the 2nd and plays a defensive structured game. We all hate it, but you know it’s going to happen 😬

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Nothing wrong with a defensive game plan if executed properly. We all enjoy the pace pushing and hitting but I get what Dale900’s trying to do. Peterborough won a championship driven by defense and goaltending last year.

Reactions: rve24 and Fastpace

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Look, I am not in the argument point, I am in the talking point. I do understand what you are suggesting, I just don't quite see the relevant of it. I mean London just played the second overall OHL team in their home rink and they couldn't come up to 4000 fans in a 5000 seat arena. It has not barrier on the Knights success at home. I don't know, maybe I thought London was big enough city to move up to international league, attracting businesses from down south, usually this is what big city do. Maybe London is not ready for bigger markets yet, or couldn't handle the higher traffic
It's a poor business decision plain an simple. I've already laid out the reasons why. For some reason you keep going back to it. The fact that league attendance has increased is irrelevant

Reactions: rve24 and zman77

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
JLC/Bud Gardens is showing its age. Porous video board, average sound system, lack of washrooms, little concourse room, little leg room. Did I mention the shallow lower bowl? Nothing can be done about that unless you were considering major renos at a high cost and a long layoff.

Back in the day I heard that they built this arena in such a way that they could build up and add another level. Don't ask me how but thats what i heard. If this area was built to hold another 4 to 5 thousand people it would draw more attractions. In the first 5 years we had this new arena we made a bid for the wjc. Since then they haven't put in a bid as our venue is too small. But...then again I can see the wjc sticking with having it in NHL size arenas when in held in North America. But, still I think if they expanded it would bring in more attractions. We have a city that would support it.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
`Know what you mean, nothing wrong playing defensive as long their feet keeps moving and holds up to their opponent's speed, to keep the pressure on they have got to keep up with the tempo, they have been succesful at it in this series so far.

Reactions: jimbarrou

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
It's a poor business decision plain an simple. I've already laid out the reasons why. For some reason you keep going back to it. The fact that league attendance has increased is irrelevant
If you say so, I guess there are nothing else to say, Otto has spoken. Thank you for your input

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
You haven't debated 1 single point I made 🤣🤣🤣.
Thanks for coming out.
What is it to debate? It is only a normal conversation, exchange of ideas, gathering infos and sharing thoughts, feeling out people's views, why couldn't this be normal in London forum pages? You are always free to by-pass any conversation like any of us, since nothing you or I could ever do or say that will interfere with the Hunter brothers business decision's anyway. There was nothing for debating, just suggestions floating around and why not

dino200022

Faist is in fine form tonight...mamma mia. Interference penalty when the Guo has the puck? Donovan gets a rough when he gently rubs out Cowan after the whistle. Sim gets a charge for a soft hit....

Good clean period by both teams...should have been no penalties called this period. Saginaw is on the forecheck quick tonight, certainly have a new gameplan then their last few games.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Faist is in fine form tonight...mamma mia. Interference penalty when the Guo has the puck? Donovan gets a rough when he gently rubs out Cowan after the whistle. Sim gets a charge for a soft hit....
Guy skated full tilt from outside the blueline for nothing at the buzzer. Dumb dumb got what he deserved. Calling this is what keeps the game out of the gutter.

I wasn't watching yet when the interference call was made, and didn't have the sound on for the Donovan call, looked soft but don't know how late it was, Cowan is also London's best actor (not Rodwin, but good at it).

• Haha
Reactions: jimbarrou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad