Confirmed with Link: Rangers Buy Out Contract of Henrik Lundqvist

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That will always be a tough one for me. No doubt LAK deserved to win. They played better. Still, losing three in OT--a two goal lead, three two goal leads in another game--it was eminently winnable. You know you didn't "deserve" it, but with a bounce here or there and maybe you get lucky. I feel like lots of winners in sports enjoy some degree of luck when they win it all. Coulda been us. Wasn't meant to be.

We lost the Cup the second the Hawks lost in Game 7 OT. We would have taken them.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All will be forgiven at the jersey retirement ceremony which should take place as soon as possible after his retirement and fans are back in the stands. He deserves a Mike richter silver net and more.

Top 5 NY ranger in history and by far the best goalie.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So weird I just posted this, except it is the opposite. I was 14 when Leetch was traded and when I found out I think I froze in place and I was inconsolable for days. Leetch was my all time favorite.

Now when I saw this news I was honestly just like "good for f***ing you Gorts".

I think I was enough of a fan to be shocked and probably angry when Leetch was traded, but it wasn’t gut wrenching. I didn’t understand trades and team building and stuff, so I just thought WTF?! With Lundqvist there is a good for us for doing the right thing, even if it’s the hard thing... but it doesn’t make it less emotionally rough to actually see it happen.

Reactions: Pidto Files

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To the powers that be:
you are wrong here.

emotion is irrelevant.
benefit of dealing Geo for a 2nd/+ and keeping Hank AND not having all the follow up dead cap space is >>>>>>>>>>>>>> than a buy out.

And remember
these are NOT compliance buyouts which only cost $.

The cap hit has to be juggled.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Never been a fan of this idea. It f***ing sucks. They better have a brilliant idea to spend the money.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They're clearing an awful lot of money
Was thinking this too. They already had enough for the basic RFA deals and even Fast too. I wonder what's brewing.

Or maybe they just looked at the Henrik Situation in a vacuum and decided he was done and worked be a disruption.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This move only clears 3M, which seems fairly small for tarnishing the legacy of your franchise goalie. The cap it is only 1.5M next year, so it’s not like we incur too much dead space going forward, but Georgiev’s extension probably costs 3M so... wouldn’t flipping him for a 2nd and not having any dead space next year be better? I’m guessing Hank wanted a chance to go win somewhere so we granted it. Of course, I’m not positive we don’t still move Georgiev and sign a journeyman for cheap. I’m not critiquing the move, but I am curious what the end game is with Hank and Staal’s cap space.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Was thinking this too. They already had enough for the basic RFA deals and even Fast too. I wonder what's brewing.

Or maybe they just looked at the Henrik Situation in a vacuum and decided he was done and worked be a disruption.

I bet Eichel is a Ranger before the season starts.

Unless the Rangers are in the process of making a trade for a player no one expects like a Barkov and sign him long term. Hmm a finn to help Kakko and a need. Get it done.

DeAngelo, Chytil, Buchnevich, 22 and 1st in 2022 for a signed Barkov ??? Too much

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
This move only clears 3M, which seems fairly small for tarnishing the legacy of your franchise goalie. The cap it is only 1.5M next year, so it’s not like we incur too much dead space going forward, but Georgiev’s extension probably costs 3M so... wouldn’t flipping him for a 2nd and not having any dead space next year be better? I’m guessing Hank wanted a chance to go win somewhere so we granted it. Of course, I’m not positive we don’t still move Georgiev and sign a journeyman for cheap. I’m not critiquing the move, but I am curious what the end game is with Hank and Staal’s cap space.
Keeping the younger goalie is worth the feels we're feeling now.

Down the line we package Geo for a better return.

I hope Hank goes out with a winning team, wherever that is.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
guess this means he's not retiring. gonna be odd seeing him in another jersey. leetch in a maple leaf jersey, eddie in a red wing jersey. surreal. shame we were never able to add another superstar during his tenure.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Keeping the younger goalie is worth the feels we're feeling now.
I don't think this move is directly related to the Georgiev situation. It gives the Rangers a bit more flexibility to say 'we don't have to trade G' to another team. But I still think there's a good spot G gets traded. If only because his value is pretty high and he's truly blocked. Would be nice for him to have a shot to start.

Reactions: JCProdigy

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The extra cap space certainly gives them more options and a stronger bargaining position for any potential trades as they don't have to trade any current players right now because of financial constraints.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I don't think this move is directly related to the Georgiev situation. It gives the Rangers a bit more flexibility to say 'we don't have to trade G' to another team. But I still think there's a good spot G gets traded. If only because his value is pretty high and he's truly blocked. Would be nice for him to have a shot to start.
It was one or the other.
Wether Geo is traded or not he is the more valuable asset.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's sad, but not complicated. Hank was not starting next season. He's not even the backup. Yet he costs the most and the team can clear 3M in space by moving on. And they still control Georgiev who can be dealt for other assets in the future if they so desire.

Hank deserved a better send-off, but if we remove emotion from the equation it is easy to see this is the right move. We were incredibly fortunate to have Henrik as the rock of this franchise for more than a decade. An era is ending, but a new one begins next Tuesday.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not sure Henrik is going to find a place on another team. Maybe.

That said--without a doubt the best goalie I've seen in a Rangers uniform. Better than the next two Richter and Giacomin and the Rangers have had quite a few really good goaltenders. I think he's a first ballot HOF'er. His legacy is marred by not winning a Cup I guess but I think he was arguably the league's best goaltender for a number of years and that's a lot. As for not winning the Cup the Rangers were always a bit short on top end talent--when the playoffs came around (at least after the Jagr years) they only got as far as Henrik could take them.

He was also a classy individual. He always gave his best and never courted controversy and his work ethic has been an inspiration to his teammates to this very day. Really there are only good things to say about him. So I certainly wish him the best.

Being bought out or retiring doesn't necessarily mean either that he can't be a part of the Rangers again in another capacity and I would actually like to see that if he has the interest. I know he'd work very hard at it.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I still maintain that 2014-15 was the year if the entire defensive corps wasn't wounded and Zuccarello didn't almost literally die.

Zuccarello and a healthy McDonagh and Rangers beat Tampa and wipe the floor with Chicago that year.
It takes so much luck to win the cup. I agree 100% the 2015 team would have wiped the floor with the 2014 team. With Zucc they beat Washington in less than 7 and beat Tampa. But I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad