Confirmed with Link: Rangers Buy Out Contract of Henrik Lundqvist

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Extremely disappointed. He could have retired a Ranger if they just moved Georgiev, whom isnt all that great to begin with. He would have been suitable backing up Shesterkin.

Greatest Rangers goalie in history. Deserved a Cup in his tenure here. Could have been a generatiomal talent if drafted by a top tier organization. If he ever had a team like Vasilevsky just had, he could have had multiple Cups.

I probably have him as the 2nd best Ranger ever [or pretty close to it, definitely top-5 all time], behind Brian Leetch. He doesn't have some of the accolades someone like Richter had because he never had a team like the 93-94 Rangers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I outlined my thought process on the goalie situation earlier, so I won't go back into it.

Sad that this is it. I feel more optimistic about the team's chances moving forward than at any point since the middle of his career. I'm sorry that he won't be able to be part of future successes.

Still, I'm so thankful for what he gave us. On so many nights he was the only reason we'd get s point, let alone two. First ballot HHOFer for sure, and the best of his generation. He'll be the hockey version of Dan Marino, to me.

Thanks, Hank.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I outlined my thought process on the goalie situation earlier, so I won't go back into it.

Sad that this is it. I feel more optimistic about the team's chances moving forward than at any point since the middle of his career. I'm sorry that he won't be able to be part of future successes.

Still, I'm so thankful for what he gave us. On so many nights he was the only reason we'd get s point, let alone two. First ballot HHOFer for sure, and the best of his generation. He'll be the hockey version of Dan Marino, to me.

Thanks, Hank.
Agreed.

Posted my thoughts in the player thread, but feel they bear repeating here:

So interesting to me to read everyone's reactions to this move. From my perspective, it was obvious as far back as two years ago that the team would need to part ways with Hank sooner rather than later. Then, things went downhill from there, and this season, watching the situation play out became increasingly more painful. I don't meant his callously: to me, more than anything the end is a relief. I prefer to remember the first dozen or so years of his career, rather than these last twenty-four months.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
By far and it's not even open to debate, the greatest goalie in Ranger history and a 100% lock for the HOF when he hangs them up.

He carried us on his back pretty much for 10 years as every one of those playoff runs of ours were all about Hank and making sure the opposition didn't score more than 2 goals cause our popgun offense could barely muster 3 goals. He was simply phenomenal and such great memories he gave us.

Hopefully he hooks up with a solid team...ie Colorado and he maybe gets himself one more kick at the can and maybe gets his elusive Cup so long as it isn't against us...lol

Sad day here in Rangerland for sure...sniff sniff

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

Thanks, Hank.

Agreed. It was an absolute treat. We were spoiled with top notch goaltending for over a decade. He gave me some of my favorite playoff moments in recent memory. One in particular is our come back, down 3-1, to the Penguins where he put in a legendary performance.

Thank you Henrik! You gave me so many memories.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Think any chance he looks at signing to the Capitals for the league minimum and split time with Samsonov?

Id imagine him and Backstrom are friends at some level. Capitals are a veteran team. Could be a good fit.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Hell of a career in blue. Probably deserved another Vezina or two, but was the most consistent top goalie in the NHL for a fair period of time.
Sucks that he wasn't part of a Cup team here, but he was the backbone of some pretty good, and fun, runs. Also sad that he wasn't able to get a farewell game at MSG.

the timing is probably right for this to happen, will be interesting to see if he looks to play elsewhere in the NHL next season (whenever it starts).

Thanks Hank, you were a joy to watch and some of what you did was both sublime and borderline unbelievable

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Less than zero.

I think that would be a good fit for him. I'd love to see him give it one go where he can either back up or split time with a goalie on a contender.

It just doesn't feel right that he retires without a Cup.

I'd literally root for him anywhere he went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad