Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins - Rags win 4-3 in shootout

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Disagree about the second goal. Yes, Lucic did have a bad turnover in the neutral zone, but that was a weak goal to give up. He had shooter all the way, and to get beat on a marginal shot like that, glove hand side, is all on Rask. He needed to step up and bail out Lucic for the bad turnover, but he didn't.

Yup, you are right. The second goal was also weak. No screen, no trick shot, no deflection, no real worry of a pass...

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Not to take this in a different direction, but people here over the last 5 years would rip Thomas for letting in what they construed as a "soft" goal, yet Rask lets in 2 questionable goals last night and you can't comment on it? Not making much sense to me. To be fair, Rask has been good this year, but make no mistakes about what other teams are shooting at when they play the Bruins. It's an area the guy needs to improve, otherwise, we'll see it a lot come playoffs.

Rask has been around long enough that teams already have a book on him. We aren't going to see a sudden change in opposition attempts at scoring just because it's the playoffs.

Rask had a bad game last night for sure, happens to every goalie I've ever seen play. It's just funny that he has one bad game in ten and all of a sudden we're in trouble because come playoff time every high glove shot is going in.

Guess Winnipeg, NJ, TO and the Isles should have done their scouting on HF, they would have been able to score more than 2 goals on him if they'd only known his achilles heel.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not to take this in a different direction, but people here over the last 5 years would rip Thomas for letting in what they construed as a "soft" goal, yet Rask lets in 2 questionable goals last night and you can't comment on it? Not making much sense to me. To be fair, Rask has been good this year, but make no mistakes about what other teams are shooting at when they play the Bruins. It's an area the guy needs to improve, otherwise, we'll see it a lot come playoffs.

He was severely outplayed last night, no question.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the first goal either. Maybe I saw it wrong and should watch again, but I remember him hitting the ice just as Nash slid head first into home. He has a tendancy to drop to the ice far too soon.

EDIT: I will also say that goalies who are "weak" up high really don't have a glaring weakness at all. If you need to pick a corner to get one through then you probably deserved it. Most goalies aren't stopping top shelf snipes. In Rask's case I think he goes down too early and gives up the upper half too easily though.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
How can anyone deny that Nash isn't highly skilled on offense. Probably better than anyone on our team. Neither Milan Lucic nor Horton are a Steve Nash.. But they're also different style players.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Rask has been around long enough that teams already have a book on him. We aren't going to see a sudden change in opposition attempts at scoring just because it's the playoffs.

Rask had a bad game last night for sure, happens to every goalie I've ever seen play. It's just funny that he has one bad game in ten and all of a sudden we're in trouble because come playoff time every high glove shot is going in.

Guess Winnipeg, NJ, TO and the Isles should have done their scouting on HF, they would have been able to score more than 2 goals on him if they'd only known his achilles heel.

haven't seen every post in reference to the weak goals but i don't think anyone is saying we're in trouble, just that his glove side weakness is something to be monitored.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Right, because elite offensive ability is hinged on shootout percentages, and that's what I said. :laugh:

If you can't tell the difference between what a guy like Nash brings to the table offensively and what we have, then I don't think I can bother having a discussion with you. The shootout move just displayed further how nasty his skill set is. The assist he had did as well, FWIW. Nothing to do with percentages, or shoot out success. Just with how obvious his skill level is.

Nash is awesome, and he does things that no one on our team can do for sure ... I'm merely saying that his skills don't result in more on ice production or wins, and as such there's not much use in complaining about the B's perceived lack of skill considering the B's get as much production and success out of the players they do have.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I also don't see the decline in Chara that you're seeing... he's been pretty steady and clearly the best dman on the team.

I too have noticed Chara's play this season has been off. Due to a decline? Perhaps. I disagree he has been all that steady this season and I think Hamilton and the others are overshadowing Chara. He is getting caught more and more out of position, missing his assignments, and fumbling more with the puck than ever. He has not performed to date like the Chara of old.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
haven't seen every post in reference to the weak goals but i don't think anyone is saying we're in trouble, just that his glove side weakness is something to be monitored.

Sure, every player has deficiencies they can work to improve. But I've heard the same "he's weak glove high" argument about almost every elite butterfly goalie for the last 5 years. It's a function of style, not skill, IMO and considering Rasks performance so far this year it's just comical that people are picking apart his game.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore

Rask has been really good this season, but that third goal was garbage. He had no business allowing that goal and, yeah, Thomas would have ripped for 3 pages on the GDT for allowing it. That being said, he was decent the rest of the game. The problem wasn't the goaltending. The problem was that the Rags kept the Bruins bottled up for most of the game in spite of the shots on goal edge.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but our power play is garbage. I still think I should go upstairs for a snack during it and spare myself the aggravation.

Hope that Seguin finds his game soon. Looks like he's been taking Kessel lessons in the offseason.Whoever thought to trade David Krejci should... :D be having second thoughts on that by now.;)

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I too have noticed Chara's play this season has been off. Due to a decline? Perhaps. I disagree he has been all that steady this season and I think Hamilton and the others are overshadowing Chara. He is getting caught more and more out of position, missing his assignments, and fumbling more with the puck than ever. He has not performed to date like the Chara of old.

Z's struggled for sure, hoping its a function of the extended off-season/euro ice adjustment rather than a decline in play. Still better than his first year here and even a bad Z is better than most, but the team definitely needs good Z back.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I know, it's insanity to even suggest that in these parts...:laugh:

Apparently he's not though, since the shootout percentages never lie...:sarcasm:

Didn't you cite the shootout first?

Nobody is going to say Nash isn't a great player. He is. But the Bruins philosophy under this administration isn't to have one or two great (and well paid) offensive players supported by a cast of thousands, it's to have several good (fairly paid) players and depend on hard work by four lines and evenly distributed scoring.

It's not as sexy or exciting as having a Crosby or a Nash to root for, but that's what we've got. I don't think that philosophy is going to change.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Didn't you cite the shootout first?

Nobody is going to say Nash isn't a great player. He is. But the Bruins philosophy under this administration isn't to have one or two great (and well paid) offensive players supported by a cast of thousands, it's to have several good (fairly paid) players and depend on hard work by four lines and evenly distributed scoring.

It's not as sexy or exciting as having a Crosby or a Nash to root for, but that's what we've got. I don't think that philosophy is going to change.

I didn't cite the shootout, more so the move he made during that as an example of how he differs offensively than our forwards.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Dude is a winner!

“It’s incredible to see you score two goals in such a short period of time,†Rask said. “They kind of saved my [butt] there. I didn’t deserve the two points today, or one point. I let a couple bad ones in. But definitely as a team we did deserve some points. They got my back.â€

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Rask has been really good this season, but that third goal was garbage. He had no business allowing that goal and, yeah, Thomas would have ripped for 3 pages on the GDT for allowing it. That being said, he was decent the rest of the game. The problem wasn't the goaltending. The problem was that the Rags kept the Bruins bottled up for most of the game in spite of the shots on goal edge.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but our power play is garbage. I still think I should go upstairs for a snack during it and spare myself the aggravation.

Hope that Seguin finds his game soon. Looks like he's been taking Kessel lessons in the offseason.Whoever thought to trade David Krejci should... :D be having second thoughts on that by now.;)

I walked away during one of the PP's because I knew they weren't going to do anything...:laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
“It’s incredible to see you score two goals in such a short period of time,†Rask said. “They kind of saved my [butt] there. I didn’t deserve the two points today, or one point. I let a couple bad ones in. But definitely as a team we did deserve some points. They got my back.â€

+1 respect point for Tuukka.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Sorry if this has been discussed before but if our 2 teams are tied (and we're both in the playoffs when all is said and done) do they get the higher seed because of head to head or do they only count ROWs and move on to the next tie breaker?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
from espn:

Tiebreaker: In the event teams are tied in the standings, the following tiebreakers are applied to determine which team receives the higher seeding.
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won (not including games won in a shootout).
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. Goal differential.
Quality Team: Team that has more points than games played.

point 1 wouldn't apply at the end of the season i don't think.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I did not post when I got home last night because I was too tired.

Good to get the one point.

Pevs looked great
Seids was working hard
Marchy so fun to watch.

Not Tuukka's best game. Not all his fault though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Look at all the empty seats.

No re-admission at TD Garden

You never leave a game...anything can happen.

Where was that bear :laugh:

We stayed until the end but I did not get home until around midnight...woke up at 4:30 am...Tired today at work.

Why they decided to shut the ramp getting on to 93 at Sullivan Square last night is beyond me. :shakehead

Last edited:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I didn't cite the shootout, more so the move he made during that as an example of how he differs offensively than our forwards.

It was a great move, no question, but I've seen Seguin make great moves too. Seguin's not at Nash's level yet, but I think he's got the talent to get there. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad