Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins - Rags win 4-3 in shootout

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
yup.
luongo has the same problem.
if I am a shooter I am aiming left ear on tuukka.

It's great that he's positionally sound, but what good does it do if you can't stop a high glove side shot? :laugh:

People used to go nuts here about how ugly Thomas' style was and how unorthodox he played, yet the guy made the big saves when needed. Rask is a huge unknown heading into the playoffs this year, and with how often he's getting beat up high and glove side, I do not feel overly comfortable.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think a few of you have said this already; but last night's finish proves the point to me. Julien should just roll his regular top two lines on the power play and have them crash the net.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And for the people who want to keep saying the B's have real elite, top end talent up front, just watch that Nash shootout goal and ask yourself if you think anyone on this team is capable of doing that with any regularity. That move was filthy.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think a few of you have said this already; but last night's finish proves the point to me. Julien should just roll his regular top two lines on the power play and have them crash the net.

I'd go Marchand, Seguin, and Lucic up front, with DK and Dougie on the point. And I'd leave them out for at least a minute and a half, if not the whole time.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Against the Rangers, you have to crash the net and try like all hell to get pucks there. Lundy is too good of a goalie to really beat from the point, and the Rags block every shot they see. I really respect that team, and I know the Bruins do as well. The only way to beat them is with lunch pail goals in front, Cam Neely style. Body up, get ready to hack away, and be ready to surge back if the shot gets blocked and offense turns to defense. It's that simple, and that complex, with the Rangers.

The third goal was soft that Tukka let in, and he knows it. He was great in the shut out, and the two other goals arguably are not his fault as he was hung out to dry by terrible neutral zone play.

Last night was the first game in a long time that I really and truly wanted to chuck my remote at the television. Blind passes, board to board passes in the neutral zone, people not moving their feet and reaching (HAMILTON), blown odd man rush opportunities.... I give a ton of credit to the Rangers, but I think the Bruins lost that game more than the Rangers won it. Kind of cliche, but fitting.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Against the Rangers, you have to crash the net and try like all hell to get pucks there. Lundy is too good of a goalie to really beat from the point, and the Rags block every shot they see. I really respect that team, and I know the Bruins do as well. The only way to beat them is with lunch pail goals in front, Cam Neely style. Body up, get ready to hack away, and be ready to surge back if the shot gets blocked and offense turns to defense. It's that simple, and that complex, with the Rangers.

The third goal was soft that Tukka let in, and he knows it. He was great in the shut out, and the two other goals arguably are not his fault as he was hung out to dry by terrible neutral zone play.

Last night was the first game in a long time that I really and truly wanted to chuck my remote at the television. Blind passes, board to board passes in the neutral zone, people not moving their feet and reaching (HAMILTON), blown odd man rush opportunities.... I give a ton of credit to the Rangers, but I think the Bruins lost that game more than the Rangers won it. Kind of cliche, but fitting.

Disagree about the second goal. Yes, Lucic did have a bad turnover in the neutral zone, but that was a weak goal to give up. He had shooter all the way, and to get beat on a marginal shot like that, glove hand side, is all on Rask. He needed to step up and bail out Lucic for the bad turnover, but he didn't.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Totally agree with what you said about how to beat the Rangers. Everyone knows that's how to beat them (or have a chance to beat them), but you have to be willing to pay the price to go to the net and stay there. Can't say i agree with you about Tuukka's second goal. Outside the dot, not screened, not forced to move laterally. Yep, that one's on him. The turnover in the neutral zone led to the chance, but that's a shot he's got to stop. I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing. Got no issue with the first goal.

Edit: LSCII saw the same thing I did, he's just faster at posting. :)

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
It seems that this team finds a different way to impress every game.

I actually thought the Bruins played a pretty solid 1st period. The top three lines all had pretty good jump to start, but Lundquist was solid and the Rangers capitalized on a bad change.

The second was sloppy and the Bruins did not execute on the rush. They squandered multiple odd-man opportunities and seemed to kill potential scoring chances with off-sides multiple times.

That being said, I was impressed with the way they were able to control the Rags all night. Yes, NY scored on a bad change by the Bs, capitalized on a bad turnover by Lucic, and got another one when Tuukka let in a bad goal, but what else did they do? The Bruins did not let them establish a forecheck, and for the most part, their shots were coming from the outside. The Bruins had the better of the play most of that game and the better scoring chances overall. Lundquist was superb and kept us scoreless until late.

I give the Rags credit for finishing on their chances, but save for a few Bruins gaffes, the Rags didn't produce a whole lot of offense.

Another gritty performance from a team that has absolute belief that they are never out of a game. That's as impressive a one point performance as you will see.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Yes, Lucic did have a bad turnover in the neutral zone, but that was a weak goal to give up.

Already been said, and and while Lucic did Tuukka no favors, Chara had the pass covered and Tuukka had a clear view of the shooter and the puck-he just didn't stop the puck and he should have. That was no fancy move by the shooter, and there was no deflection.

Tuukka should have had it and I think he knows it. I think Tuukka wanted some milk crates to toss around last night-I think he knows and from his interview post game knows it wasn't a great game for him.

And also like I said-Tuukka has bailed the team out when they played badly, and last night the team returned the favor and Tuukka took a point rather than a loss.

And my guess is Torts probably wanted to borrow some of Tuukka's milkcrates, because watching your team go from a 3-0 shut out win after 52 minutes of play to a tied game and shoot out isn't a good finish.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This team won't be bailed out for 48 straight games by goaltending. It's about time the offense does its part and gives its goaltenders a few 3-4 goal leads.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I always record the post game just to be sure.

Some DVR sets allow you to tack extra time onto your recording, so you don't need to record the next program. I usually record the game with an extra hour during the regular season. Extra 3 hours for post season, juuuuust in case we get a marathon ;)

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
And for the people who want to keep saying the B's have real elite, top end talent up front, just watch that Nash shootout goal and ask yourself if you think anyone on this team is capable of doing that with any regularity. That move was filthy.

That goal was Nasty and Nash is unreal skilled. That said Nash/Gaborik/Richards career SO% = 35% ... Krejci/Bergeron/Seguin career SO% = 36%

Again, I'll take results over names and flash any day of the week.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That goal was Nasty and Nash is unreal skilled. That said Nash/Gaborik/Richards career SO% = 35% ... Krejci/Bergeron/Seguin career SO% = 36%

Again, I'll take results over names and flash any day of the week.

don't let facts get in the way of a bad argument.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I wonder about Tortorella's game plan.
Run cluelessly in your own end until someone blocks a shot, then send it deep and hope Hagelin beats out the icing-call?
It happens just so often the Rags "chase" the puck in their zone for like a minute. Up front they don't create that much.
They capitalized on their very few chances and made us pay for our mistakes, you got to give them credit for that.
They're lucky to have Nash. What a player ...

Oh and I hope CJ will stop using Bergeron and Krejci on the shootout some day. They're just so predictable.
First time I saw Krejci now shoot and well ... he fooled himself and mishandled the puck right away.
But all of them looked better than Plekanec on his breakaway though, lol.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Oh and I hope CJ will stop using Bergeron and Krejci on the shootout some day. They're just so predictable.
First time I saw Krejci now shoot and well ... he fooled himself and mishandled the puck right away.
But all of them looked better than Plekanec on his breakaway though, lol.

Bergy has had decent success on the shootouts, but I agree, very predictable...that being said, it seems like Lundquist is one of the first goalies to actually realize that he is going to do the same thing every time.

It looks like Marchand will be a staple on the shootout going forward. Is he 2 for 2? He's another guy, like Seguin, that has a pretty diverse arsenal in that situation. It makes it difficult for the goalie to defend.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Bergy in there, provided he can diversify his attack a bit:

1. Seguin
2. Bergy
3. Marchand

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
don't let facts get in the way of a bad argument.

Right, because elite offensive ability is hinged on shootout percentages, and that's what I said. :laugh:

If you can't tell the difference between what a guy like Nash brings to the table offensively and what we have, then I don't think I can bother having a discussion with you. The shootout move just displayed further how nasty his skill set is. The assist he had did as well, FWIW. Nothing to do with percentages, or shoot out success. Just with how obvious his skill level is.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So why is Rask weak high Glove?

None of the Goals that went in last night were high glove. :huh:

He's been beaten high glove a lot this year. Last night he got beat mid glove on the second goal. Couple that with the knock on all butterfly goalies being weak high. so from that, it's not hard to draw that conclusion that since he's been beaten glove side, and his style leads to a weakness up high, that high glove would be an area that other teams target, is it?

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
jumping-jack-edwards.gif

This is 2 funny. :laugh: What a game last night.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Because Philly beat us in the playoffs 3 years ago.

Therefore Tuukka sucks.

Not to take this in a different direction, but people here over the last 5 years would rip Thomas for letting in what they construed as a "soft" goal, yet Rask lets in 2 questionable goals last night and you can't comment on it? Not making much sense to me. To be fair, Rask has been good this year, but make no mistakes about what other teams are shooting at when they play the Bruins. It's an area the guy needs to improve, otherwise, we'll see it a lot come playoffs.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Right, because elite offensive ability is hinged on shootout percentages, and that's what I said. :laugh:

If you can't tell the difference between what a guy like Nash brings to the table offensively and what we have, then I don't think I can bother having a discussion with you. The shootout move just displayed further how nasty his skill set is. The assist he had did as well, FWIW. Nothing to do with percentages, or shoot out success. Just with how obvious his skill level is.

Nash is highly skilled? Stop blowing my mind, man! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad