Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins - Rags win 4-3 in shootout

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
It was a great move, no question, but I've seen Seguin make great moves too. Seguin's not at Nash's level yet, but I think he's got the talent to get there. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Just not this season yet. I've seen the moves in bunches in previous seasons. I just hope he hasn't turned into this season's version of Phil Kessel before he moved onto Toronto.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Jack is such a HOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMAAAAAAA!

Him after that Marchand goal has to be the best gif of the year so far.

jumping-jack-edwards.gif

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Anyone else feel like the B's can play much better than what we have seen so far this season ?

I think they will start putting together a much better 60 min.

Last edited:

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Anyone else feel like the B's can play much better than what we have seen so far this season ?

I think they will start putitng together better 60 min. every game.

I do. And I think that's why I am so excited about this team...I don't think they have even scratched the surface. They seem to be able to dominate teams at will thus far, and as you said, we just need to see that for 60 min, but that will build throughout the season. Once they start to finish some of the opportunities they are creating, they are going to be scary good.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I don't think they play as great as some media expresses.

I mean, how often did Rask bail us out? Especially the Habs game comes to my mind. If it's 0-4 after 20 minutes we musn't complain.

2 regulation wins in 6 home games isn't that great either.
I don't think we had a single game yet with all 4 lines rolling.

IMO, 8-1-2 looks better than we actually are.

On the bright side (this sounds as if we were some bottom-feeder lol) ...

Imagine guys like Seguin, Chara, Ference etc. stepping up.

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007

I think they will start putitng together better 60 min. every game.

i think they have so much more to show. I don't think they have been firing on all cylinders by any means yet although they're getting points and picking up wins.

the 3rd line has another gear to show, especially Kelly and Pevs. The 4th line has been injured but usually chips one in every few games and really works the possession game.

I don't think the PP will get too much better, but there's certainly a ton of room for improvement there as with the last few years. the goals and points will come for Seguin as well.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
He was severely outplayed last night, no question.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the first goal either. Maybe I saw it wrong and should watch again, but I remember him hitting the ice just as Nash slid head first into home. He has a tendancy to drop to the ice far too soon.

EDIT: I will also say that goalies who are "weak" up high really don't have a glaring weakness at all. If you need to pick a corner to get one through then you probably deserved it. Most goalies aren't stopping top shelf snipes. In Rask's case I think he goes down too early and gives up the upper half too easily though.

Up high? What about dekes? Nash schooled him and deked him out of his skates.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Great comeback. Reaffirms my hatred of the shootout.

Would rather them bring back the tie.

I'm afraid I'll never understand why a great team sport like hockey introduced a stupid gimmick like the shootout to manufacture a "winner" for every game. Just awful. :shakehead

Two very good teams played a really good game last night and ended up with a tie. Leave it at that. Each team should get a point. :rant:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I'm afraid I'll never understand why a great team sport like hockey introduced a stupid gimmick like the shootout to manufacture a "winner" for every game. Just awful. :shakehead

Two very good teams played a really good game last night and ended up with a tie. Leave it at that. Each team should get a point. :rant:
That's true. Or have 10 minute overtimes to allow the opportunity for one team to win.

The shootout's sole purpose is to avoid ties and not pro-long the game. I would add it's also for the 'soft' fans or the suits who just want a winner and some fans don't want to pay a hundred+ bucks a ticket to see a tie.

But, let's be real, that is NOT true hockey. That is not part of the game and shouldn't be. It's like a mini all-star event (opposing player versus the goalie) at the end of the game to avoid ties.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I do. And I think that's why I am so excited about this team...I don't think they have even scratched the surface. They seem to be able to dominate teams at will thus far, and as you said, we just need to see that for 60 min, but that will build throughout the season. Once they start to finish some of the opportunities they are creating, they are going to be scary good.

I think they're very aware of that themselves. The start of the season is all about banking points, by hook or by crook. You want everything to come together and work toward peaking by the end of the regular season, not the beginning.

Right now I'd compare them to a car engine that's misfiring here and there but still getting you where you want to go. Once that engine gets warmed up and humming, look out.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

I totally agree, and I'm OK with 5 minutes of O.T., but if it's tied after that, each team should get one point and get off the ice.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I will always hate the shoot out.

I am afraid it may be here to stay :(

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I think this team has a lot more potential. I think the best game this season was the first Ranger's game and even then the 2 lines were mostly invisible.

I still think the third line is missing something-Peverly is skating his butt off, Kelly looks weak and I still don't think Bourque is what that line needs (don't hate him and he is improving but I think his style isn't meshing well).

Seguin is still in a slump (would love for Claude to put him back on the Krejci line and hope he does so for the Buffalo game).

So yeah, this team has more, and has some moments of great hockey, but I don't think they have really played their best for a full 60 minutes.

I'm afraid I'll never understand why a great team sport like hockey introduced a stupid gimmick like the shootout to manufacture a "winner" for every game. Just awful.

What is weird to me is that the NHL insists that the fans love the shootout, but almost every single hockey fan I know (in real life and online) hates the shootout. Makes me wonder just who these fans are or if the NHL is blowing smoke up our behinds.

Honestly I would rather see the league go with a 3 for the regulation win and a 2 to 1 split for an OT loss. Have a 10 minute OT and if nobody wins, then neither team gets the extra point and they both take 1 point.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
What is weird to me is that the NHL insists that the fans love the shootout, but almost every single hockey fan I know (in real life and online) hates the shootout. Makes me wonder just who these fans are or if the NHL is blowing smoke up our behinds.

I ENJOY the shootout, in that it is exciting to watch high skill guys go one on one with a goaltender, just like I would be excited to watch a breakaway or a penalty shot during the course of the game. If I flip on a game and I see that it is tied late in the third or in OT, I am sticking around to see if it goes to a shootout.

Like I said, I ENJOY the excitement and skill on display in the shootout, but philisophically I do have an issue with it. I don't like the fact that you play 60 minutes one way, that is 5-on-5 with odd-man situations mixed in, and then you decide the game in a completely different way that has no resemblance to the game you had just been playing, and doesn't really tell you who the best TEAM is.

It did seem a shame for the Bruins to claw their way back down 3 in the third and push the Rangers to the brink, and then the Rags get bailed out because they have Rick Nash...what does that prove?

Anyway, I understand the people who enjoy it as far as the entertainment value goes, but I don't think it really fits with the way the game should be played and won, and I wouldn't be that upset to see it go.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I ENJOY the shootout, in that it is exciting to watch high skill guys go one on one with a goaltender, just like I would be excited to watch a breakaway or a penalty shot during the course of the game. If I flip on a game and I see that it is tied late in the third or in OT, I am sticking around to see if it goes to a shootout.

Like I said, I ENJOY the excitement and skill on display in the shootout, but philisophically I do have an issue with it. I don't like the fact that you play 60 minutes one way, that is 5-on-5 with odd-man situations mixed in, and then you decide the game in a completely different way that has no resemblance to the game you had just been playing, and doesn't really tell you who the best TEAM is.

It did seem a shame for the Bruins to claw their way back down 3 in the third and push the Rangers to the brink, and then the Rags get bailed out because they have Rick Nash...what does that prove?

Anyway, I understand the people who enjoy it as far as the entertainment value goes, but I don't think it really fits with the way the game should be played and won, and I wouldn't be that upset to see it go.

I would have to ask you though: how do you feel at the end of a game which your team has lost in great part because the other team sat back and then flat-out blocked half of your shots, without ever reaching the goalie? Is such a game a demonstration of which is the best team, or is it a demonstration of which team was best at avoiding having the other team score on them? Isn't some justice served in such a game if the goalie (protected throughout the game by his shot-blocking D-men) suddenly has to pit his ability directly against a forward? Who's to say which of these is the "way the game should be played"?

I don't think the shootout is any more of an artifice than the game as played with 5 vs 5, or 5 vs 4, 5 vs 3, or 6 (empty net) vs 5. It's just a different artifice.

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
I don't think they play as great as some media expresses.

I mean, how often did Rask bail us out? Especially the Habs game comes to my mind. If it's 0-4 after 20 minutes we musn't complain.

2 regulation wins in 6 home games isn't that great either.
I don't think we had a single game yet with all 4 lines rolling.

IMO, 8-1-2 looks better than we actually are.

On the bright side (this sounds as if we were some bottom-feeder lol) ...

Imagine guys like Seguin, Chara, Ference etc. stepping up.

There is the key.'

Since Ryder left it is the ghost line....

And Tyler Seguin better start scoring some goALS

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

I am finding that I hate the shootout when it involves the Bruins or some other game I care about (or bet on!), but if it's a game I'm watching casually between a couple of teams I don't care about, then it's kind of entertaining, in a guilty-pleasure kind of way.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I would have to ask you though: how do you feel at the end of a game which your team has lost in great part because the other team sat back and then flat-out blocked half of your shots, without ever reaching the goalie? Is such a game a demonstration of which is the best team, or is it a demonstration of which team was best at avoiding having the other team score on them? Isn't some justice served in such a game if the goalie (protected throughout the game by his shot-blocking D-men) suddenly has to pit his ability directly against a forward? Who's to say which of these is the "way the game should be played"?

I don't think the shootout is any more of an artifice than the game as played with 5 vs 5, or 5 vs 4, 5 vs 3, or 6 (empty net) vs 5. It's just a different artifice.

I understand your point, and that goes more to style of play, but whatever style a team chooses to play, at least it is still a team game. The shootout can involve as few as 8 total players, and it is all about individual skill, not how that individual functions within a team.

Hockey is about competing as a team, battling for every puck, having to fight through contact, etc. for 60 minutes. Would Boston have beaten Vancouver in a shootout in 2011? Probably not, but they were the more committed, tougher team. Those characteristics matter in hockey, but they do not matter in a shootout. So when I say, "the way the game should be played," it's about removing elements of the contest that are essential to what makes it a great sport, it's not just about how many players are on the ice.

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
Hey, I was drunk in Mexico City....

How come the Bruins didn't win_
Why didn' t Milan Lucic score more goals_

Really, tell me why....we should have beat these guys.....I even had my Bruins shirt on for a while there, last night, when I learnt this one girl was from Kebek........

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
Hey, I was drunk in Mexico City....

How come the Bruins didn't win_
Why didn' t Milan Lucic score more goals_

Really, tell me why....we should have beat these guys.....I even had my Bruins shirt on for a while there, last night, when I learnt this one girl was from Kebek........

Perhaps and just throwing this out there...you may still be drunk

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The shootout is pretty much on par with the FoxTrax they tried to roll out a while back. It's an advent for the pink hats. Real fans hate it because it sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: