Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins - Rags win 4-3 in shootout

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't like the shootout because it's a gimmick, an individual skills competition that has no place in a team game.

But I'll be damned if it's not exciting to watch.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Totally despise the shootout. If its a night game I usually don't bother watching it, 5 minutes more sleep is more entertaining than that stupidity. Didn't bother watching it for this game, tuned out after overtime.

They should just cut a deck of cards or flip a coin, it would be much faster. That's assuming it's really required to keep happy the mental defective who decided tie games weren't acceptable.

Rhoshambeau

May 21, 2010
Northern Connecticut
I don't like the shootout because it's a gimmick, an individual skills competition that has no place in a team game.

But I'll be damned if it's not exciting to watch.

If they want to use an All Star competition to decide hockey games, they should change it to the hardest shot competition instead. That way we would never have a shoot out loss.:sarcasm:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
You don't even watch it? If they win it, it's an extra point. And points are so valuable. In a compressed season, points are worth even more than usual. Points are like gold. Points are what gets a team into the playoffs. Points are... I can't think of a good way to describe their importance. Someone wanna help me out?

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
You don't even watch it? If they win it, it's an extra point. And points are so valuable. In a compressed season, points are worth even more than usual. Points are like gold. Points are what gets a team into the playoffs. Points are... I can't think of a good way to describe their importance. Someone wanna help me out?

Sure the random point is important, I just check the ticker before turning out the lights. Knowing who got gifted is good to know, watching the process isn't necessary.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
The shootout is pretty much on par with the FoxTrax they tried to roll out a while back. It's an advent for the pink hats. Real fans hate it because it sucks.

and this is what finally drove me icky balooky when it came to Dale as a P by P guy...."Well the only reason Bruins fans hate it is because the Bruins are so bad at it". (sigh) really Dale? That's your final answer?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
and this is what finally drove me icky balooky when it came to Dale as a P by P guy...."Well the only reason Bruins fans hate it is because the Bruins are so bad at it". (sigh) really Dale? That's your final answer?

In fairness they were horrendous that first year.

They were ranked 48th out of 30 teams.

I still hate it even though they are better now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

As someone who never gave a crap what Dale said (usually because it was woefully uninformed, dumb, or flat out wrong), I can honestly say that doesn't surprise me he'd say that. The shootout is an abomination and a horrible way to end a game. I'd rather they just go back to a tie after a single OT period if they're not willing to go multiple OTs.

FWIW, only foo foo soccer fans like that shoot out crap because well, it's soccer, and it sucks too...:laugh:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
As someone who never gave a crap what Dale said (usually because it was woefully uninformed, dumb, or flat out wrong), I can honestly say that doesn't surprise me he'd say that. The shootout is an abomination and a horrible way to end a game. I'd rather they just go back to a tie after a single OT period if they're not willing to go multiple OTs.

FWIW, only foo foo soccer fans like that shoot out crap because well, it's soccer, and it sucks too...:laugh:

I'd prefer they go 4 on 4 for 5 minutes and 3 on 3 for another 5 and then end in a tie after that. Gives a little something for both the "novice" fans who hate ties and the diehards.

I'm a soccer fan, I don't care for the shootout other than it seems to keep the casual fan coming back, which the NHL needs as a business.

Basketball's the one that sucks.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Give me back my ties.

images

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
I honestly thought the Bruins dominated the whole game, they were making great hits, great plays, everything but the timely goals. Rangers played a very opportunistic game, on the few errors the Bruins made, the Rangers cashed in. Bruins needed to get more screens going and bang in some rebounds, thats what gave the Bruins success toward the end.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

The point is still awarded if someone tunes out, though. I fully agree that they're valuable, but that's still not enough to make me watch the SO.

I watch them when I go to a game live, but only because my seats are in the middle of a row; I'd have to inconvenience like 10 people to get out and it's just not worth doing that to so many other people. But at home? I turn it off as soon as the OT period ends - that's when the hockey game ends for me, and I can just find out if they won the novelty point or not after the fact.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Give me back my ties.

Amen to that. And get rid of the OTL point. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. I know people argue that OT would be a snoozefest because neither team wants to risk walking away with zero points but you know what, losing cannot be rewarded. It's mind boggling. It's like awarding 1 point for a missed FG. :sarcasm: ARRRRRGOOOOS!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad