Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Boston

*Bob Richards*

I know. We aren't saying anything different.

I mean, Lucic is a physical specimen. You aren't going to find too many guys who will stand up to him on a regular basis. Prust taking him on last year was valiant and noble but extremely lopsided.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
That's a great win. The adversity will build confidence and the guys will bond and learn to fight through together.

*Bob Richards*

If he could tame Lucic why not play him and be a deterrent? Testosterone and belligerent Burke would've been all for it.

What I'm trying to point out here, why would Lucic even BOTHER with Orr? Lucic can skate circles around Orr or any other heavy weight for that matter. Lucic is one of the best in the business at what he does, very few teams can contain him well. Make sure he doesn't have the puck, move the puck quickly, make him take a penalty and score.

Okay now I see what you're getting at. All agreed with there.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yea. But we all know the NHLs punishment system is total crap. It will improve eventually out of necessity as more pressure gets placed on the league

It is crap but until there is a 100% foolproof report that CTE and fighting in hockey is related, I think fighting will stay in the game. I'm more concerned with the headshots from elbows, shoulders and sticks.

Last edited:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
It is crap but until there is a 100% foolproof report that CET and fighting in hockey is related, I think fighting will stay in the game. I'm more concerned with the headshots from elbows, shoulders and sticks.

It's guaranteed to be there from fighting. Any concussions will cause CTE. Bigger issue is positive identification up until just a couple weeks ago was impossible in anyone living.

Now they have a way to test for it it's going to cause waves.

And they found CTE in boogaard and likely will find it in every fighter in the league. And most likely in a guy like Crosby too.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This turn the other cheek on this forum really is depressing to me,but thats just me..I respect your opinions but I don't agree with them or even understand them..Im guessing its because I grew up drinking water out of a garden hose and most of you drink fancy bottled water..

I'll take the high road here.

This isn't about turning the other cheek. It's about identifying and adapting to your strengths and weaknesses wrt your opponent. The Rangers, and in my opinion every other team in the NHL, are not going to accomplish anything by trying to physically "stand up" to the Bruins. The Bruins "win" in that category, it's a concession that needs to be made. The Rangers need to find a way to "win" by addressing other aspects of the game when they play that team, and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

Also, and I hesitate to do this because I HATE HATE HATE sports/war analogies, but think of it in terms of Vietnam and the Afghani insurgency. The U.S.A had/has a unique technological advantage in these scenarios. There are way to remain competitive against that advantage, and gearing up to face it head on is not one of them. Please, if there is a response to this, don't let it be a political one.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's guaranteed to be there from fighting. Any concussions will cause CTE. Bigger issue is positive identification up until just a couple weeks ago was impossible in anyone living.

Now they have a way to test for it it's going to cause waves.

And they found CTE in boogaard and likely will find it in every fighter in the league. And most likely in a guy like Crosby too.

I don't think you can make that broad of a statement. If Crosby does have CTE, is it from the high hits he's received or from his few fights he's been in? For me, it's the high hits.

George McPhee was essentially a fighter in the league when he played and he fought some of the biggest heavyweights in his era. He's been a successful GM in the league and has been for a few years. I don't know him personally but I haven't heard of any symptoms for him like dementia, confusion or memory loss.

I guess we'll see if and when they start testing players and former players who are living but it is still going to be tough to say fighting is the cause of CTE.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
George McPhee was essentially a fighter in the league when he played and he fought some of the biggest heavyweights in his era. He's been a successful GM in the league and has been for a few years. I don't know him personally but I haven't heard of any symptoms for him like dementia, confusion or memory loss.
Really, the guy who's signed Tom Poti twice?

(I actually am a fan, and thought it was a good signing.)

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Funny screw up by NHL.com

BC9D1C4CEAAp9-Q.png:large

Dat ain't Callahan :laugh:

:laugh: They got the Ryan part right

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I don't think you can make that broad of a statement. If Crosby does have CTE, is it from the high hits he's received or from his few fights he's been in? For me, it's the high hits.

I guess we'll see if and when they start testing players and former players who are living but it is still going to be tough to say fighting is the cause of CTE.

I'm saying that everyone in the league with repeated concussions is highly likely to have CTE. We all know fighters get concussed often.

And people don't always have to exhibit symptoms of CTE to have it. It affects everyone differently.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This turn the other cheek on this forum really is depressing to me,but thats just me..I respect your opinions but I don't agree with them or even understand them..Im guessing its because I grew up drinking water out of a garden hose and most of you drink fancy bottled water..

Yeah, everyone who isn't you is soft. Fair generalization to make based off of their opinions of hockey fights.

It's just an issue of being realistic. There is not a player in the league that can intimidate Lucic and play useful hockey minutes. There just isn't. Orr and those guys are liabilities. Teams who put them out there against the Bruins are losing out on a chance to bet the Bruins with skill by attempting to match them in toughness, which frankly can't be done.

redfzn

Nov 12, 2007
NYC
bmcccuny.facebook.com
was torts even coaching last night? it's not the first time I've asked myself or my friends this question.

did not use his timeout all game, esp after the first goal or if that wasn't enough, the 2nd.

another too much man penalty

and at one point during the game you see him leaning against the glass, looking up or something when it's a clear opportunity to lean into his boys and shout some words of encouragement (since that's his thing and all).

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Colton Orr isn't a hockey player. Why the hell is he even being mentioned?

First off Orr under Renney was part of the best shut down checking line in the NHL how fast people forget. only if you got past the point he fights. He shut down Sid and Ovach. that season remember Sid got so upset he took a buch of dumb penalties vs Orr. Also a coach needs to know how to use a enforcer not just have one Renney did Torts is clueless with one

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers jerseys are out in force at school today. Apparently people are pretty stoked about beating the Bruins despite the blown lead.

And how is it that literally every game we play turns into a goon argument in the PGT? :shakehead

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Why do a few posters have to make posts about useless goons who can't skate in every single PGT? And then there's always an argument about whether or not these goons are important.

Go to the hockey fights forum and talk about your useless pylons until the cows come home.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers jerseys are out in force at school today. Apparently people are pretty stoked about beating the Bruins despite the blown lead.

And how is it that literally every game we play turns into a goon argument in the PGT? :shakehead

Really listening to sports radio, even Evan and Joe, you would think yesterday's game never happened. We played in one of the most exciting games of the year against one of the best teams in the NHL and won, that included two of the best goals you'll ever see and all you hear about is how a bad a terrible team that hits a ball with a bat is, during the ****ing offseason! :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad