Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Boston

Kershaw

I'll be much more comfortable if Hagelin can take that next step into full-time legit top 6 producer and this is more than just a hot streak. I guess we'll see.

Hags has been top 6 his whole (short) NHL career, minus the first ones where he started on the bottom lines. IMO he is 3rd to Nash and Gaborik right now in best forwards on this team.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Machinehead, did you forget that Asham can snipe like Ovechkin?

We'll be fine. :sarcasm:
-----------------
The secondary scoring has been getting better. First it was Kreider/Miller leading the way, then it was Stepan/Hags/Nash. (Although Nash is, IMO, our primary threat.) Our two big guns in Bucktooth Beaver Brad Richards and Gabby have to step it up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hags has been top 6 his whole (short) NHL career, minus the first ones where he started on the bottom lines. IMO he is 3rd to Nash and Gaborik right now in best forwards on this team.

OMG, a positive post from Torts! Here I was putting you in Drew's class of debbie downers. The way he's been playing (forget the goals), he's been our second best forward IMO lately. Richards, Gabby, and Cally are still better players, but he's playing better than them (though Cally has played well recently I think). I think he's pretty easily the the 5th best forward on this team in general.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
OMG, a positive post from Torts! Here I was putting you in Drew's class of debbie downers. The way he's been playing (forget the goals), he's been our second best forward IMO lately. Richards, Gabby, and Cally are still better players, but he's playing better than them (though Cally has played well recently I think). I think he's pretty easily the the 5th best forward on this team in general.
Torts still despises the rookies especially kreider even though kreider has looked very good since returning from injury

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Torts still despises the rookies especially kreider even though kreider has looked very good since returning from injury

I don't see where Torts despises rookies.

Hagelin jumped right into our top 6 last year, McDonagh right into our top 4 the year before that, and JT Miller has already garnered shutdown minutes after 3 games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
:):):)

It was getting confusing when referring to Torts the poster vs. Torts the coach, so I got my own name back.

I didn't know you were the same person. :laugh: I've gotten used to being annoyed and waiting for a negative post/an ode to Boyle when I saw Tortorella. Now I have to adjust! :laugh:

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Well I mean, they are both tied for 2nd in points.

Yes, they are but that doesn't tell the whole story unfortunately. Gaborik has his ninja like style so I am not that worried about him, but boy oh boy does Brad look slow out there. I know he was recovering from the flu but the guy seems to be developing "Rangeritis" faster than anyone else this season. His 66 points last season were a huge help but look at the drastic difference between his Dallas stats (90+ points) compared to both this and last season. The guy looks very lethargic out on the ice. I can't tell if it's laziness or being out of shape but he has made a lot of boneheaded plays this year. He needs to either shorten his shifts if he can't keep up out there or take a step back and assess the situation from the bench. I know Richie does most of his damage from the powerplay, and I know he stepped it up last season after a slow start. It just hurts my eyes to see a proven Conn Smythe winner struggle as much as he has out there.

*Bob Richards*

Yes, they are but that doesn't tell the whole story unfortunately. Gaborik has his ninja like style so I am not that worried about him, but boy oh boy does Brad look slow out there. I know he was recovering from the flu but the guy seems to be developing "Rangeritis" faster than anyone else this season. His 66 points last season were a huge help but look at the drastic difference between his Dallas stats (90+ points) compared to both this and last season. The guy looks very lethargic out on the ice. I can't tell if it's laziness or being out of shape but he has made a lot of boneheaded plays this year. He needs to either shorten his shifts if he can't keep up out there or take a step back and assess the situation from the bench. I know Richie does most of his damage from the powerplay, and I know he stepped it up last season after a slow start. It just hurts my eyes to see a proven Conn Smythe winner struggle as much as he has out there.

Agreed. Gaborik, I'm not concerned about. This is his game. I'm hoping that Richards is just off to a slow start and nothing more. His contract stings a little worse with every passing game so far.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Agreed. Gaborik, I'm not concerned about. This is his game. I'm hoping that Richards is just off to a slow start and nothing more. His contract stings a little worse with every passing game so far.

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the contract part. I mean, it's nowhere bad enough to buy him out or anything, it's just concerning that he has no footspeed. Take a look at our center depth, and it's clear why we struggle with faster, quicker teams.

Richards
Stepan
Miller
Halpern/Boyle

Because the centers have more defensive responsibility, these guys need to hustle back and back-check harder than anyone else on the ice. If our Defense wasn't so good at bailing them out and not exposing their lack of speed, we would be alot worse than 7-5 right now. I mean, take a look at the play where Girardi flubs the puck at the blue line and check out what kind of pressure Richards puts on the breakaway shooter (Think it was either Krejci or Bergeron). He barely catches up and just swings his stick so lazily. Micheletti was complimenting Richard's backchecking but honestly he didn't do squat. What's up with that? Our best center can't even lift the stick of the guy on a break. Also, don't even get me started on that play In Overtime where he almost gifts Boston the game-winner. We need Richards to step up in a big way. Hagelin did it, Stepan did it, Hell, even Lundqvist did it. Now it's time for Richards to lead our centers and take over the east.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:):):)

It was getting confusing when referring to Torts the poster vs. Torts the coach, so I got my own name back.

Come here buddy gimme a hug! BIG HUG!!

bearhug2.jpg

Drewbackatu*

It's such a heartwarming feeling being recognized and referred to on the HF Boards.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know Richards was never a blazer, but did he really lose all his speed in one season? He's not that old yet. Plus he was to lose his speed, wouldn't it be during a season when he didn't have an 8 month offseason? Maybe that has nothing to do with anything.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I thought I read somewhere that Brad organized team practices during the lockout? Or maybe I'm getting confused here

Heyoooo*

Nash has looked great the last few games. Hopefully the production continues. He can play all the defense and hit he wants, the 7.8 is for goals/points.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I know Richards was never a blazer, but did he really lose all his speed in one season? He's not that old yet. Plus he was to lose his speed, wouldn't it be during a season when he didn't have an 8 month offseason? Maybe that has nothing to do with anything.

Has he ever been a better skater than this??? I definitely don't remember it. He has always been a very awkward skater.

This is what I posted on him before we got him:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=33446076&postcount=463
I agree.

Many at these places are stuck in the video game mode. Brad Richards is seen as a 85-90 attribute player, just like the other stars.

We are talking about a former 3rd round pick here; who is small; who is soft and somewhat injury prone; who is a awkward skater in many situation; who is not a dazzling stickhandler; who isn't a elite playmaker in the Adam Oates and co mold (who just sets up and can thread a pass through traffic); who has failed to carry a team into the PO's in a really long time.

Brad Richards has a really good shot; but more then anything he has outstanding offensive instincts and he has the ability to evaluate the team infront of him and find chances to get something on the board no matter what it takes. On the PP point, he is just very good and skilled at his craft. He can do what it takes to play a elite style. He isn't fast. He isn't a dangler. He isn't the best passer. But he has all the skill he needs for the PPQB, he can move sideways, he can fire away in many different sitautions, and more then anything else -- he knows what to do. He is just good enough to be on top of the PKers. Its as simple as that. He is smart enough, and skilled enough to execute what he wants to do.

To compare him to other players in somewhat the same mold, I would like to mention Patrick Elias and -- why not -- Brian Rafalski. Two guys who are valuble to their teams. Who certainly have earned their paycheck. Detroit signed Brian Rafalski to a 5 year 6m deal in 2007. He have earned every cent of the 24m he have made in his 4 years of that deal. Pat Elias has certainly been a factor in getting NJD into the PO's up untill this season.

Could we use someone like that? Most certainly!!!

And if it only came down to dollars and cents, you know what, sure why not 7.8m if thats what it takes. Slats will just have to settle with a cheap goon instead of a Boogie/Brasher type, that'll save you the mil you are overpaying.

But it does not only come down to dollars and cents. Expectations/pressure/the impact on the rest of the team -- we know better then to look past those aspects in NY. We know better.

I mean compare these two scenarios:
1. Brad Richards signs here in NY for 6.5m per. He says he wants to play in NY, but at the same time avoid the heat in Toronto, where he would have received more money. It doesn't really become that big of a deal.

2. We blow everyone away on July 1 and gives Richards a helluva offer, on par with the true superstars in the NHL. There is a bunch of talk about how "Slats did it again". The instant topic from day 1 is "Will Richards be different then Gomez, Drury or Redden?" Can "he" handle the pressure???

I might be paranoid, but I am scared of the nr 2 option. I would love the 1. option. Its about more then the dollars and cents.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Has he ever been a better skater than this??? I definitely don't remember it. He has always been a very awkward skater.

This is what I posted on him before we got him:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=33446076&postcount=463

I remember reading that when you posted it and thinking it was spot on. Unfortunately Richards hasn't been able to improve the NYR PP.

The thing we all need to remember when talking about Richards is that has always been a player that primarily does his damage on the PP. Since the NYR PP is in a constant state of severe malfunction, his pts are naturally down.

Let's take a look at Brad Richards' career:

Tampa Bay:
00-01: 82-21-41-62, ES: 14-22-36
01-02: 82-20-42-62, ES: 15-28-43
02-03: 80-17-57-74, ES: 13-23-36 (37 ESP/82)
03-04: 82-26-53-79, ES: 20-31-51
05-06: 82-23-68-91, ES: 12-28-40
06-07: 82-25-45-70, ES: 12-23-35
07-08: 74-20-42-62, ES: 9-22-31 (34 ESP/82)

Dallas:
08-09: 56-16-32-48, ES: 11-16-27 (40 ESP/82)
09-10: 80-24-67-91, ES: 11-40-51 (52 ESP/82)
10-11: 72-28-49-77, ES: 21-27-48 (55 ESP/82)

Rangers:
11-12: 82-25-41-66, ES: 18-24-42
12-13: 12-2-7-9, ES: 2-6-8 (55 ESP/82)

Richards was basically scoring at his career average at ES last year and is currently scoring at the exact same pace as his career year in ES scoring.

Brad Richards is only a PPG player with a functioning PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad