Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 1/27/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The rangers need to be more conservative in getting the puck out of their zone when they play teams that presure them for low. Too many defensive zone turnovers. Just get the puck out and wait for some mistakes where your speedy wingers can create. I feel the
More teams see this as an issue for us on the back end the more teams will use this approach on us.

Agreed, although this is what worries me. Are the Rangers a one trick pony? Can they play more deliberate when needed?

They got beat at their own game last night, which was probably most concerning.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Agreed, although this is what worries me. Are the Rangers a one trick pony? Can they play more deliberate when needed?

That is what I was saying last night. They are a one trick pony in terms of speed. The Rangers entire game is built around speed. The Islanders do a good job of neutralizing that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Agreed and I know many have been saying this for a long time.

They are faster than just about every team in the league. They are more skilled than most (25+ teams) as well. Combine those two and you can win a lot of hockey games.

Their system shows cracks when their speed advantage is neutralized, the opposition makes the Rangers Dmen make quick decisons (by getting in fast and physical on the forecheck), and the interior of the ice is clogged in the offensive zone (forcing the Rangers to attempt low % passes or play a weak cycle game.)

That is how you beat the Rangers. Not a lot of teams can do all of those things (requires speed AND physicality AND skill) but when they do the Rangers just don't have another card. That is the danger of a one-dimensional lineup.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Agreed and I know many have been saying this for a long time.

They are faster than just about every team in the league. They are more skilled than most (25+ teams) as well. Combine those two and you can win a lot of hockey games.

Their system shows cracks when their speed advantage is neutralized, the opposition makes the Rangers Dmen make quick decisons, and the interior of the ice is clogged in the offensive zone. That is how you beat the Rangers. Not a lot of teams can do all of those things but when they do the Rangers just don't have another card. That is the danger of a one-dimensional lineup.

Yep. You could see it last night. The pressure caused our outlet passes to be absolutely horrible. The dmen are used to having all day in their zone to make a decision.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They would have to play Torts, stretch pass, tip, go get style as opposed to the make pretty outlet passes, unfortunately I'm not so sure who on the roster is going to get the puck back reliably should they try it.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Islanders excel at pressuring the puckcarrier and forcing turnovers. Hayes and Miller are good at holding onto the puck, but the Rangers could probably use another player who is hard on the puck and strong along the boards. Both the forwards and defensemen were giving up the puck too easily last night.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Islanders excel at pressuring the puckcarrier and forcing turnovers. Hayes and Miller are good at holding onto the puck, but the Rangers could probably use another player who is hard on the puck and strong along the boards. Both the forwards and defensemen were giving up the puck too easily last night.

If McDonagh and Girardi would stop handling the puck like a ****ing hand grenade we'd be OK...

Klein needs to take some shifts with McDonagh. He's much better with the puck

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Heres a dream lineup:

Nash - Brassard - Zucc
Kreider -Stepan - MSL/Miller
Hagelin - Vermette/Santorelli/Brodziak - Miller/MSL
Carter/Winnik - Moore - Hayes
Spares - Stempniak/Fast
Glass to Dallas for a pick

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Klein
Methot - Boyle
JMoore/Hunwick

Fixed it for you
That team looks very good
Price for Vermette might be too high though
Would like to keep Moore over Hunwick as the 7D as he can bring home an asset at the draft being an RFA
Time will tell

And BTW the loss yesterday means nothing come April. Absolutely NOTHING

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Fixed it for you
That team looks very good
Price for Vermette might be too high though
Would like to keep Moore over Hunwick as the 7D as he can bring home an asset at the draft being an RFA
Time will tell

And BTW the loss yesterday means nothing come April. Absolutely NOTHING

I agree... but we clearly need one or two additional pieces to solve a team like this...

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYRangers: #NYR Practice Lines: Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello; Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis; Hagelin-D.Moore-Stempniak; Glass-Hayes-Fast Extra: Millerâ€

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So it would be smart for us to pay attention. IMO we're going to have to add more jam to our lineup--focusing more on the player's ability to play than their ability to drop the gloves. It would not be a bad thing either to have an Avery style agitator. Right now I think we're a little bit too cute and a little bit too soft.
This year's team is softer and smaller than last year. That is not going to work long term.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The answer is yes and no. They can be very good offensively when they can get the first pass and generate offense off of a rush. When that is taken away from them, they can seemingly do nothing. No chipping puck in and chasing it. No winning battles along boards and in corners.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
“@NYRangers: #NYR Practice Lines: Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello; Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis; Hagelin-D.Moore-Stempniak; Glass-Hayes-Fast Extra: Millerâ€

Sad. I think miller brings way, way more than most of the bottom 6. He should in no way be in the conversation as the scratch IMO.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That is how you beat the Rangers. Not a lot of teams can do all of those things (requires speed AND physicality AND skill) but when they do the Rangers just don't have another card. That is the danger of a one-dimensional lineup.
The issue is that a lot of the teams that they are competing with can do that. Boston, Tampa, Isles, Columbus. They can all do it. I am sure that teams like the Caps and Pens can figure it out too.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
There is a post from the pre season where I said the islanders were bigger faster and stronger and with a goalie they were going to be better then us. They own us this season. Don't mean an thing to playoffs but rangers need to tweet a bit.. Glass needs to go ..fast is umm not anything special need a fourth line grinder that can play big not dumb

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The issue is that a lot of the teams that they are competing with can do that. Boston, Tampa, Isles, Columbus. They can all do it. I am sure that teams like the Caps and Pens can figure it out too.

It's amazing that we're one of the best teams in the league if there's such an obvious way to beat us.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's amazing that we're one of the best teams in the league if there's such an obvious way to beat us.
The Rangers are a good team. But like other good teams, some of the is by cannibalization of some very bad team. What have the Rangers looked like against teams like Islander, B's, Tampa? Or even Columbus? What is the track record there? What is the commonality? They have been the inferior team in all of their games against those teams.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Glass in for JT and Dom playing 3c? Maybe it's Lindberg time...or banish Glass time...or something...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The Rangers are a good team. But like other good teams, some of the is by cannibalization of some very bad team. What have the Rangers looked like against teams like Islander, B's, Tampa? Or even Columbus? What is the track record there? What is the commonality? They have been the inferior team in all of their games against those teams.

We've played one game against Boston and are 1-1 against Columbus so I don't see your point.

Tampa caught us when we were barely a team early in the season and they had a blazing start. And if they're anything, they're not a big team.

We outplayed the Isles last night and lost, we outplayed them the 1st game and lost. It happens.

But the real commonality is our defense is garbage at moving the puck. It's not some mythical size factor that we don't have. We lose against pressuring teams because Girardi, Klein, and Staal are puck-impotent. They have zero ability to move it, especially under pressure. But nobody wants to hear that, they'd rather pawn off our issues on things like lack of size and some mythical compete level that we don't have.

Last edited:

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
Just beat those clowns in the playoffs and all is fine.

And please, no more Glass. I like the guy, but not on my hockey team. Give some of the kids a chance.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yup keep playing glass. Means we have 2 1/2 lines maybe 3 instead of 4 solid lines which is required to be a top team in this league . I guess he's punishing miller the couple of bad turnovers he made in his own zone and neutral zone? Whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad