Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 1/27/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Respectfully asking the question though, would you not think that there is a style of play that can neutralize the Ranges potency? I think that when it does happen, it is the quickness of the opposing team and the pressure they put on the Rangers. One shot, puck is gone, other team has it. Neutral zone clogged, what's the option to burn the opposition on that choice of strategy.
That kind of thing is not something to just chalk up to chance. I bet AV thinks about it an awful lot. I need absolutely zero advanced stats to see what neutralizes the Rangers.
Tonight was a very good example. Lets say that Halak sucked tonight, how different would it have been. Maybe a tied game. My point is that the Rangers were not clicking against the Islanders. They just did not get to have their way. A few games counting now.

Upcoming Bruins game has the potential to be another one like tonight.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Heres a dream lineup:

Nash-Stepan-Zucc
Miller-Brassard-MSL
Hagelin-Hayes/Vermette/Santorelli-Vermette/Hayes/Santorelli
Carter-Moore-Stempniak

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Methot-Klein
Hunwick

Wait, Ryan Carter??? I might put my head through a window if we got Ryan Carter. I've never hated a hockey player more in my life.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kudos to the Islanders, they are the better team right now.

A few things:

*The core of our team game is our blue-line moving the puck. They are clearly struggling to do so against teams that either get in real fast on us or real heavy. We play really well against most of the league, but have struggled a lot with Tampa, the Islanders and Boston, for a long time, for example.

If we should look to improve in one area its definitely obviously the puck moving ability of our blue line.

The problem mainly is that we don't have a go to PMD and our Ds aren't very fast. Klein and Staal especially had problems on a shift by shift bases, and AV consequently broke them up. Boyle moves the puck real well, but the man is old nowadays.

*We need to be a little bit more poised with the puck in the attacking zone.

The Islanders collapse pretty deep around their own net, and gives up ice around the perimeter, but the top guys in their 5 man box are really -- fast -- and if you just put the puck into the mass of guys in front of the net, odds are that you are going the other way in a hurry more often than not. You want to get pucks to the net, you must get pucks to the net, but you gotta be a bit smarter with it against this team.

MSL and Boyle were a few time involved in a real positive way in this area. MSL is real smart at getting open, and Boyle got his eyes open and is smart. The other heady players we have must take on a bigger role; mainly Zucc, Step, Brass and co. Here its also problematic that we have quite many stiff D’s in our top 4.

*First goal is a real bad goal by Hank. He cannot get that far out of the net because a pass is made to a guy with zero angle. I didn’t like his game tonight. He looked frustrated because he was forced to make a few saves, and lost his composure it seemed like. Spoiled attitude.

*I don't think our 3rd line is that problematic, a lot has been talked about our bottom two lines not being as good as last year. But I think our 4th line has had problems developing that identity where they help the team on a regular basis.

*Lastly, I think Staal has shown stints of playing better lately. But he is not good enough to be an important core player in a game like this. He must start playing better with the puck.

Last edited:

Vidic15*

Rangers beat the Rangers. When we play our game, we play Globetrotter hockey. We might be a victim of our success this past year, and a Tanner Glass away from blowing this season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

A few things:

*The core of our team game is our blue-line moving the puck. They are clearly struggling to do so against teams that either get in real fast on us or real heavy. We play really well against most of the league, but have struggled a lot with Tampa, the Islanders and Boston, for a long time, for example.

If we should look to improve in one area its definitely obviously the puck moving ability of our blue line.

The problem mainly is that we don't have a go to PMD and our Ds aren't very fast. Klein and Staal especially had problems on a shift by shift bases, and AV consequently broke them up. Boyle moves the puck real well, but the man is old nowadays.

The Islanders collapse pretty deep around their own net, and gives up ice around the perimeter, but the top guys in their 5 man box are really -- fast -- and if you just put the puck into the mass of guys in front of the net, odds are that you are going the other way in a hurry more often than not. You want to get pucks to the net, you must get pucks to the net, but you gotta be a bit smarter with it against this team.

MSL and Boyle were a few time involved in a real positive way in this area. MSL is real smart at getting open, and Boyle got his eyes open and is smart. The other heady players we have must take on a bigger role; mainly Zucc, Step, Brass and co. Here its also problematic that we have quite many stiff D’s in our top 4.

*First goal is a real bad goal by Hank. He cannot get that far out of the net because a pass is made to a guy with zero angle. I didn’t like his game tonight. He looked frustrated because he was forced to make a few saves, and lost his composure it seemed like. Spoiled attitude.

*I don't think our 3rd line is that problematic, a lot has been talked about our bottom two lines not being as good as last year. But I think our 4th line has had problems developing that identity where they help the team on a regular basis.

*Lastly, I think Staal has shown stints of playing better lately. But he is not good enough to be an important core player in a game like this. He must start playing better with the puck.

Yeah. I'd expect a goalie to make the save too when 5 tape to tape one-touch passes are made beneath the faceoff circles.

Never mind how the defense played that goal, and just giving a nod to the Islanders for a fancy play.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah. I'd expect a goalie to make the save too when 5 tape to tape one-touch passes are made beneath the faceoff circles.

Never mind how the defense played that goal, and just giving a nod to the Islanders for a fancy play.

It's kind of tough to blame Hank on the first Fishstick goal.

The passing on that goal would be difficult to do with no defense on the ice, let alone defense that ISN'T a step behind. How the puck got through sticks and skates and sat as flat as it did is almost unbelievable. I don't think anyone in the NHL makes that play more than 2 or 3 times out of 100.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
But they lost to the Islanders! Blow it up!

I'm not saying to blow it up. I'm asking if it would be a good idea to maybe try to switch things up. McD and Girardi have not looked good together this season.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's kind of tough to blame Hank on the first Fishstick goal.

The passing on that goal would be difficult to do with no defense on the ice, let alone defense that ISN'T a step behind. How the puck got through sticks and skates and sat as flat as it did is almost unbelievable. I don't think anyone in the NHL makes that play more than 2 or 3 times out of 100.

McDonagh dropping to the ice caused him to lose Grabovski, who was left wide open for a tip-in. Hank did every single thing he could to keep them treading water through the first period. Once they finally figured out how to play against the Isles, they were the much better team. Rangers had 20 more shot attempts (76 to 56) than the Islanders, but Halak had a .975 save percentage. The chances were there, they just couldn't beat the hot goalie.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Islanders are for real.

The Rangers have some serious issues with their bottom 6. When the 3rd, and especially the 4th line, step on the ice the opposition really doesn't have to worry much about defense.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Allaire won't be pleased with that goal, it's a cross ice pass to a guy with no angle and Hank isn't between the pipes anymore.

I noticed how Hank didn't look pleased at all before that goal, that's a Hank tilting playing that way. I've seen him a good 14 years, I've seen it before.

Nobody is perfect, I love Hank and I don't expect him to be perfect 24/7/365.

But what was Hank's problem last night? We faced a team that is better of us late January 2015, he had to make a few saves to cover for the guys infront of him. Don't like to see him not step up to the challenge and play typical Hank POs hockey in this situation, instead of getting frustrated ... That's all.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
My god was that game brutal to watch just based on Sam and Joe alone. You would think it was the Islanders broadcast. Kinda getting sick of those two. Since JD left and Joe joined, Sam has become even more unbiased. I don't care about being professional, talk about the damn team that fans are tuning into watch. Stop blowing the opposition as if they are god's gift to the world and do everything right with all these great back stories. It is becoming unbearable. Time for Sam to retire or give up the Rangers like Doc gave up the Devils. It's time for Kenny Albert to take over in the booth.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
My god was that game brutal to watch just based on Sam and Joe alone. You would think it was the Islanders broadcast. Kinda getting sick of those two. Since JD left and Joe joined, Sam has become even more unbiased. I don't care about being professional, talk about the damn team that fans are tuning into watch. Stop blowing the opposition as if they are god's gift to the world and do everything right with all these great back stories. It is becoming unbearable. Time for Sam to retire or give up the Rangers like Doc gave up the Devils. It's time for Kenny Albert to take over in the booth.

I agree and what get me even more aggravated is that on the post game show on MSG Network, Al Trautwig does nothing but talk up the Islanders during the show. Look, give the Islanders their due, but it's a Rangers post game show. If I wanted to hear post game commentary on the Islanders, I would have changed the channel to MSG+. I'm sure Howie and Butchie weren't spending too much time talking about the Islanders' opponent. And please, dump Micheletti and give Dave Maloney his job!!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The only good thing last night was that the capital lost too. :laugh:
Oh god.. I know we will bounce back for sure.. But we were old, rusty, slow,
not focused, uninterested, the long break was meh.
We need to improve on all areas of the ice to secure playoffs this season,
and can someone remove Ryan Mc. captain role - so he can start focus to play
hockey again (he is not himself.)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Rangers probably outplayed the Islanders for most of the game but couldn't manufacture the chances the Islanders got and scored on. Very few clean chances on Halak and just seemed to be trying to force the puck through traffic which is ultimately a credit to the Islanders but they also got the "luck" tonight.
Outside of the 1st period I'm not actually upset about this game, just unfortunate. Don't think it's worth picking apart Lundqvist's performance.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I agree and what get me even more aggravated is that on the post game show on MSG Network, Al Trautwig does nothing but talk up the Islanders during the show. Look, give the Islanders their due, but it's a Rangers post game show. If I wanted to hear post game commentary on the Islanders, I would have changed the channel to MSG+. I'm sure Howie and Butchie weren't spending too much time talking about the Islanders' opponent. And please, dump Micheletti and give Dave Maloney his job!!

At least Albert/Maloney/La Grecca/Stemkowski tell it like it is. They are honest. That is what I want, even if it means them ripping my team because in all likelihood they deserve it.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I knew we'd loose this one when I heard sam say they've completed half a line change with the isles hemed in their own zone, glass finally go onto the ice....We're down what 2 goals and we're putting the 4th line out there when we already have possesion in the offensive zone? Last night had to be one of Boyles worst games ever two big goals and he's out there just pointing around like that's somehow gona do something and then Mac does his usual stick wave and lays on the ice, pathetic.

At least Albert/Maloney/La Grecca/Stemkowski tell it like it is. They are honest. That is what I want, even if it means them ripping my team because in all likelihood they deserve it.

This, I absolutely love listening to Maloney on the radio especially against rivals like the Pens and Flyers. He holds nothing back and tells it like it is good or bad. Last flyers game he ripped Rinaldo so hard for a good 3-4 minutes I almost had to pull over laughing, and if dirtbag Rinaldos mother was listening she would surely be crying...it was great.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York

Kinda the point I was making when looking to give Maloney the job. I want Ranger talk from people like Dave who will discuss truthfully what the Rangers are doing wrong. Plenty to discuss on that issue alone to fill up post game air time. No need to fill the air time on a Ranger post game show with worshipping at the altar of blue and orange.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rangers probably outplayed the Islanders for most of the game but couldn't manufacture the chances the Islanders got and scored on.
I saw it differently. Rangers were outworked for much of the game. Once again, when faced with a heavy forecheck, the desire not to get their nose dirty really stands out.

I am not discounting games the games against Kings, Sharks & Ducks. But I did not think that the Rangers were the better team against the Sharks. And had to hold on for large parts of others. And against the Bruins, Tampa & Boston, this team has shown NOTHING. All teams that are much bigger. All teams that confront the likes of Nash. All teams that show that when they take away the first pass and the Rangers do not generate a chance off of the rush, they generate next to nothing. This team looks good when they are given lanes. When those get taken away, they have not looked good.

Even a team like Columbus. Yes they won, but were they really the better team on the ice? And the Blue Jackets are again the bigger team who generates a heavy forecheck.

Not a positive sign to me.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

A few things:

I have some quibbles but all in all a very good post. The thing is when speaking of teams playing heavy against us--we have a good 4th line but the question for me--is it good enough? When we lost to NJ in '12, Boston in 13 and LA in '14--all those teams rolled 4 lines and excelled in playing a heavy game against us. As an example pointing towards last night's game Martin and Clutterback both for the past several years have been consistently among the top 5 hitters in the league. That line both of them are on caused a lot of havoc. To me it's an area to look at--because I think we need a bit more push back than we have.

In any case I had no doubt which was the better team last night and it wasn't us. Reading some of the post game commentary here it would seem though that some people still don't get that the Islanders are a very, very good team and it's not just luck and funny bounces going their way. It's very well constructed--players able to fit and excel in the roles they're given from the first line to the fourth line--3 solid defense pairs and good goaltending. They're young and they're quick and fast and last I knew they still had quite a bit of cap space. It won't be hard for them the next few years to hold their team together.

So it would be smart for us to pay attention. IMO we're going to have to add more jam to our lineup--focusing more on the player's ability to play than their ability to drop the gloves. It would not be a bad thing either to have an Avery style agitator. Right now I think we're a little bit too cute and a little bit too soft.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I'm glad there are others that also thought last nights telecast was extremely annoying.

This is a rangers telecast, I don't care about hearing about 'Hamonic's rough start to life at a young age' and talking about 'Nelson's roots in hockey from his uncle and grandpa'.

Then during the first intermission Al Trautwig wants to ask St Louis about his feelings for playing in this building for one of the last times.

This is a rangers broadcast, I don't care and I'm sure others don't care about hearing about the islanders....Last night was over the top.

Also, I don't know how anyone is going to blame last night on Lundqvist, The Tavares goal he gave up was the only goal that was weak and he should have stopped.

The first goal the Islanders globe-trotted around the rangers zone and it was damn near embarrassing that they could make so many tape to tape passes like that without someone getting in the lane or stick-lifting one of their sticks to get the puck away. Lundqvist got hung out to dry on that play.....And I think Hank was more annoyed at his team's defense on that goal that any thing else.

The second goal was blocked before it got to the net and gifted to Martin's stick for an open net.

On the third goal McDonagh transformed into Girardi and decided to score on his own goalie like I've seen the rangers defense do to Hank dozens of times before.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
The rangers need to be more conservative in getting the puck out of their zone when they play teams that presure them for low. Too many defensive zone turnovers. Just get the puck out and wait for some mistakes where your speedy wingers can create. I feel the
More teams see this as an issue for us on the back end the more teams will use this approach on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad