Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 1/27/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Really........?

****ing idiot.

I think you can make a pretty compelling argument that 5 of the top 6 (barring Hagelin) can be scratched at any given time. They are that unspectacular.

I think Miller is near the top of that list as he continues to be absolutely careless with the puck at times, and moreso in the last few weeks. The only thing that stinks is Glass is the guy that stays in the lineup when one of these other guys takes a seat.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think you can make a pretty compelling argument that 5 of the top 6 (barring Hagelin) can be scratched at any given time. They are that unspectacular.

I think Miller is near the top of that list as he continues to be absolutely careless with the puck at times, and moreso in the last few weeks. The only thing that stinks is Glass is the guy that stays in the lineup when one of these other guys takes a seat.

I totally disagree about miller. Seems like often he's the only one putting in any offensive effort on his line.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I totally disagree about miller. Seems like often he's the only one putting in any offensive effort on his line.

Yup. Miller has been the best player in the bottom 6. He's been better than all except maybe Hags.

The fact that Glass, Stempniak, Fast are all regulars over him is insane.

AV is ruining the team. He should be looking at ways to make Miller better and possibly shake up lines, not sit him. WTF.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

He's playing defense too... Anyone see him back check early in the game while the isles were on a rush and he stripped the puck of the carrier and hauled it up the ice?

Didn't look lazy to me...
This reeks of av playing vets over prospects because of the uncertainty of they bottom 6

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's playing defense too... Anyone see him back check early in the game while the isles were on a rush and he stripped the puck of the carrier and hauled it up the ice?

Didn't look lazy to me...
This reeks of av playing vets over prospects because of the uncertainty of they bottom 6

Meanwhile, the bottom 6 being uncertain is AV's fault.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

"Offensive effort" is pretty much the polar opposite of what I am complaining about and why he will be sitting. He's been awfully poor and protecting the puck in the defensive zone lately. That undeniable.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One of the first big mistakes last night was Miller making a point to point pass to no one in his own zone. Five feet and daylight ahead of him to get it out of his own zone. It didn't cost us--still it was mystifying. Instead of easily breaking out of our defensive end the Isles kept the play alive in our own zone. Now he wasn't the only one who made plays like that in the first period--Boyle, St. Louis, Klein for a few others. Still it's unpressured mental mistakes like such that makes you wonder how prepared he was to play from the get go.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yup. Miller has been the best player in the bottom 6. He's been better than all except maybe Hags.

The fact that Glass, Stempniak, Fast are all regulars over him is insane.

AV is ruining the team. He should be looking at ways to make Miller better and possibly shake up lines, not sit him. WTF.

This happens EVERY SEASON - the top 6 starts to falter and rather innocuous decisions in the bottom 6 get put under the microscope.

This team hasn't had trouble scoring. Its had trouble dealing with pressure in their own end. This is, by far, the weakest part of Miller's game.

I think he should play over Glass, but this stuff about how hes been the best is in the eye of the beholder -- Fast, for instance, has been far far far better at responsibly navigating the defense zone.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I dont understand why AV hasnt been asked point blank by one of the media guys why Tanner Glass is in the lineup.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
So were you all fine with Matt Martin trying to take Staals head off at the end of the game? I mean who could have prevented that right?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We've played one game against Boston and are 1-1 against Columbus so I don't see your point.
How have they looked against Boston for last 2 years? In the win against Columbus, they were not the best team on the ice. That is the point.
Tampa caught us when we were barely a team early in the season and they had a blazing start. And if they're anything, they're not a big team.
No excuses. Every team has injuries. And that should not equate to not being able to win a board battle or not willing to get their nose dirty. They are certainly bigger than the Rangers and play that way.
We outplayed the Isles last night and lost, we outplayed them the 1st game and lost. It happens.
We must have watched two different games. We could not win one battle.
[QUOTEBut the real commonality is our defense is garbage at moving the puck. It's not some mythical size factor that we don't have. We lose against pressuring teams because Girardi, Klein, and Staal are puck-impotent. They have zero ability to move it, especially under pressure. But nobody wants to hear that, they'd rather pawn off our issues on things like lack of size and some mythical compete level that we don't have.[/QUOTE]
You watch the games against the teams that I have stated and that is your take away? Not enough puck moving defensemen?? Really?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So were you all fine with Matt Martin trying to take Staals head off at the end of the game? I mean who could have prevented that right?

Yeah, with Glass on the ice, Martin did it anyway.

Toughness rocks!

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I dont understand why AV hasnt been asked point blank by one of the media guys why Tanner Glass is in the lineup.

The media guys love him as much AV does, unfortunately. Brooks has been carrying a torch for him all year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
How have they looked against Boston for last 2 years? In the win against Columbus, they were not the best team on the ice. That is the point.

The Rangers outplayed the Bruins in every game last year yet were swept. Meanwhile before that, they were like 6-1 against the Bruins the two years before that.

And it's one game against Columbus.

No excuses. Every team has injuries. And that should not equate to not being able to win a board battle or not willing to get their nose dirty. They are certainly bigger than the Rangers and play that way.

You seriously must have this exact phrase on your clipboard constantly. Because it's all you complain about, no matter how a loss goes, this is always your go to complaint. It's convenient too, it's not like anyone will remember two specific board battles won that they can point to. Yet I don't see any complaining about Girardi and Staal being braindead with the puck and not being able to transition for their damn lives. I don't see any complaining about Ryan McDonagh having his head so far up his ass he can see his own stomach. I also don't see any complaints that Tanner Glass by himself makes every line he plays on worthless.

We must have watched two different games. We could not win one battle.

Winning battles is directly correlated to gaining the puck. And, god damn did we have the puck a lot those last two periods. We must've watched two different games because IDK what you were watching.

You watch the games against the teams that I have stated and that is your take away? Not enough puck moving defensemen?? Really?

Yup, couldn't transition for ****.

Conversely, I don't know how you could possibly come up with "size" is the problem after last night.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Halak just has the Rangers number.

His last 5 starts.

.976 (Rangers)
1.000 (Rangers)

The Rangers love making average goalies look elite.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers outplayed the Bruins in every game last year yet were swept. Meanwhile before that, they were like 6-1 against the Bruins the two years before that.

And it's one game against Columbus.

You seriously must have this exact phrase on your clipboard constantly. Because it's all you complain about, no matter how a loss goes, this is always your go to complaint. It's convenient too, it's not like anyone will remember two specific board battles won that they can point to. Yet I don't see any complaining about Girardi and Staal being braindead with the puck and not being able to transition for their damn lives. I don't see any complaining about Ryan McDonagh having his head so far up his ass he can see his own stomach. I also don't see any complaints that Tanner Glass by himself makes every line he plays on worthless.

Winning battles is directly correlated to gaining the puck. And, god damn did we have the puck a lot those last two periods. We must've watched two different games because IDK what you were watching.

Yup, couldn't transition for ****.

Conversely, I don't know how you could possibly come up with "size" is the problem after last night.

I'm just glad someone sees it the same way I'm seeing it.

The way the Islanders won is the same way Ottawa has been winning in MSG for the past six years. Speed and pressure on the forecheck. Has nothing to do with size. The Tortorella teams were constantly abused by talentless hacks with speed. The difference is, the Islanders, Tampa, and Boston aren't talentless.

The common denominator is Girardi, Staal, and to a lesser extent, McDonagh.

The slower teams are afraid to pressure the Rangers because of the Rangers speed.

The Rangers lost one ugly game to Tampa where Lundqvist **** the bed. The other two were much closer; the one in Tampa could have gone either way until the refs showed up. They've lost badly to the Fishsticks twice at home, and the bad game in Boston.

Adding size wil actually make the problems worse, as Ranger pressure in the offensive zone really wasn't a problem and it could limit the team's speed. One could argue, however, that they aren't "dirty" enough, and that's a fair criticism. This is where Hayes, Stempniak, D. Moore, etc. have to be a bit more physical.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I think last year's playoff run is giving this team (and the fans) a false sense of greatness. Last year they made the playoffs by just 3 points, then struggled to beat the Flyers, one of the worst playoff teams in recent years. Any other opponent probably would have won easily. Second round they were about to go meekly to the Pens, shut out back to back by that playoff stalwart Fleury, before the emotions of MSL's mom and a finally-hot Henry carried them back. Then they got to play Montreal without Price. They had some breaks to hide the fact that they were not a great team. The recent hot streak had a lot of wins against bad teams, hiding the fact that overall they have a losing record against the top teams. Reality is that the Rangers are a good team, not a great one, and they will need good fortune like last year if they're gonna repeat that playoff run.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think last year's playoff run is giving this team (and the fans) a false sense of greatness. Last year they made the playoffs by just 3 points

Irrelevant.

then struggled to beat the Flyers, one of the worst playoff teams in recent years. Any other opponent probably would have won easily.

Hyperbolic bull-****. Flyers PP kept them alive and we had no Kreider and an unhealthy mcDonagh

Second round they were about to go meekly to the Pens, shut out back to back by that playoff stalwart Fleury, before the emotions of MSL's mom and a finally-hot Henry carried them back.

I'm sure getting Kreider back and McDonagh's resurgence had nothing to do with winning games 5, 6, and 7.

Then they got to play Montreal without Price. They had some breaks to hide the fact that they were not a great team.
And Montreal got to play Tampa without Bishop. What's your point?

The recent hot streak had a lot of wins against bad teams, hiding the fact that overall they have a losing record against the top teams. Reality is that the Rangers are a good team, not a great one, and they will need good fortune like last year if they're gonna repeat that playoff run.

If you just get to ignore all the playoff teams they beat during the last 20, sure, you can come to that conclusion.

Everybody needs good fortune to win the stanley cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Nobody. There's not a human walking this Earth Matt Martin is afraid of.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Glass? He played in the game...Having a useless goon (or just all around ****** hockey player like Glass since he isnt really good enough at hitting or fighting to even be classified as a goon) isnt going to prevent dirty players from doing dirty ****.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Nobody. There's not a human walking this Earth Matt Martin is afraid of.

Greatest 4th liner of all time AINEC

B8ZTSIYIEAAVXvM.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad