McD-Boyle
Staal-G
Moore/Hunwick-Klein

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Actually it implies that this isn't going to continue to happen, and the Islanders are lucky to not have a different score.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I definitely agree with you here. For the most part people seem to think that there's some magic that if you beat someone who outplayed you, somehow you're the better team. I think that matters maybe to some really bad teams, but it seems like the Islanders were lucky this game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
McDonagh has been a major disappointment this season. All season, pre-injury and since coming back, he's looked out of shape and like he's trying to force every play.

Last season he could play 30 minutes a night and not look tired, now he's reaching for pucks without moving his feet in the first period. Last season he was letting the plays develop and playing with great instincts, now he's playing more similar to John Moore with the giveaways and rushing the puck all alone with tunnel vision.

If he starts to round into form we will indeed be a scary team.

Question, what is more disappointing this year? AV's inclusion of Glass in the lineup or McDonagh's drop in play?

BTW, that stat about being 16-4-0 in the last 20 and Glass has dressed in 3 of the losses is insane.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I definitely agree with you here. For the most part people seem to think that there's some magic that if you beat someone who outplayed you, somehow you're the better team. I think that matters maybe to some really bad teams, but it seems like the Islanders were lucky this game.

The definition of outplayed is what matters. I know that it is entirely subjective, and that is why there are so many disparate views of the same thing.
Such is the nature of sports and discussion boards.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Capuano played his fourth line almost 15 minutes apiece tonight, and two of them took penalties.

It's obvious he has a game plan against the Rangers -- he extends Tavares' shifts against the McDonagh-Girardi pair to wear them out, and he uses his fourth line to wear down the defense the way the McKay-Holik-Peluso "Crash Line" used to.

That line had 20 hits and scored a key goal.

Like another poster alluded to in the GDT, the Rangers' bottom six needs an upgrade. Glass, Stempniak and Moore are having weak seasons. Hayes, Miller and Fast are rookies. Hagelin is the only consistent one.

It's a good thing the Rangers' weakness has been exposed. If they have a good 4th line or 3rd line against solid teams, those lines can neutralize the top-2 lines. The Rangers then grab the advantage with their defense and goaltending.

I'm wondering. Really wondering what Sather is thinking. I think we all know this team is very very close competing for another Cup.

The Rangers can still catch the Islanders and the division. They play two more times, but on March 10th, the Rangers enter their last game with the Isles with four games in hand. If the Rangers win the next meeting and the hover around 3-5 points back of the Isles on the March 10th game, it's conceivable for the Rangers to leapfrog them with the games in hand.

This game was a blip. An unfortunate blip, but a blip nonetheless.

I always go back to the 1994 Devils -- 0-6 against the Rangers in the regular season, win Game 1 of the CF with a late tying goal and an OT winner and the tide turns. It took seven games and two miracles to beat them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I always go back to the 1994 Devils -- 0-6 against the Rangers in the regular season, win Game 1 of the CF with a late tying goal and an OT winner and the tide turns. It took seven games and two miracles to beat them.

When's the last we lost a regular season game to the Flyers? Took 7 games. Also Montreal where we didn't score for 3 years, we beat them. Lots of examples.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Rangers have by far been the better team--that alone is very refreshing compared to the last outing against the isles... that was just a total **** show...

Were not getting the bounces and the players in the right places, but were definitely the better team on the ice. Scoreboard just says differently.

AV better smarten up about these guys only because there is a good chance we see them in round 1, if not round 2 of the playoffs...

I think you were on the wrong channel. The Rangers were sloppy, out of sync, and outworked for the majority of the game. In no way shape or form were they the better team. Sure, it was marginally better than the poop show from the last Isles game, but the performance tonight is not going to win a lot in the NHL.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Capuano played his fourth line almost 15 minutes apiece tonight, and two of them took penalties.

It's obvious he has a game plan against the Rangers -- he extends Tavares' shifts against the McDonagh-Girardi pair to wear them out, and he uses his fourth line to wear down the defense the way the McKay-Holik-Peluso "Crash Line" used to.

That line had 20 hits and scored a key goal.

Like another poster alluded to in the GDT, the Rangers' bottom six needs an upgrade. Glass, Stempniak and Moore are having weak seasons. Hayes, Miller and Fast are rookies. Hagelin is the only consistent one.

It's a good thing the Rangers' weakness has been exposed. If they have a good 4th line or 3rd line against solid teams, those lines can neutralize the top-2 lines. The Rangers then grab the advantage with their defense and goaltending.

I'm wondering. Really wondering what Sather is thinking. I think we all know this team is very very close competing for another Cup.

The Rangers can still catch the Islanders and the division. They play two more times, but on March 10th, the Rangers enter their last game with the Isles with four games in hand. If the Rangers win the next meeting and the hover around 3-5 points back of the Isles on the March 10th game, it's conceivable for the Rangers to leapfrog them with the games in hand.

This game was a blip. An unfortunate blip, but a blip nonetheless.

I agree with this concept of a missing identity for the bottom 6... If that is the case, then I might have to get on the Vermette Bandwagon...

That said, I'm wondering what is the best move to make with the bottom 6... The top 6 is no doubt better than last year simply due to the development of the players in it (sans Zucc, who seems to have taken a step back)... Unfortunately it's at the cost of a reduced bottom 6...

some thoughts:

Stempniak is great on the 4th line with Dominic Moore and I feel like those 2 should stay together.

Glass needs to be moved, yesterday.

I'd like to see Miller in the top 6 before the seasons end--I feel he has the talent to play there.

Something like this:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Vermette/Santorelli-MSL
Hayes-Moore-Stempniak

Unfortunately there isn't much sandpaper in that lineup... If we go for a 3rd line add, I'm not sure where he fits then... the weakest link is a 4th line player, meaning Miller has to be demoted, Nash and MSL moved up, which brings us to our current lineup. This proposed solution removes Hayes from Center, which I also do not see happening

MSL needs to NOT go up against top line competition... I just do not see it in him to work against top line competition with Stepan. He's not useless, but he's caught drifting and watching now and again, and he most certainly does not produce as much as I expected he would.

I'm all for going for Marc Methot for the 3LD position. I really like Hunwick, but against fast/physical teams he gets eaten alive.

Heres a dream lineup:

Nash-Stepan-Zucc
Miller-Brassard-MSL
Hagelin-Hayes/Vermette/Santorelli-Vermette/Hayes/Santorelli
Carter-Moore-Stempniak

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Methot-Klein
Hunwick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.