Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 1/27/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think last year's playoff run is giving this team (and the fans) a false sense of greatness. Last year they made the playoffs by just 3 points, then struggled to beat the Flyers, one of the worst playoff teams in recent years. Any other opponent probably would have won easily. Second round they were about to go meekly to the Pens, shut out back to back by that playoff stalwart Fleury, before the emotions of MSL's mom and a finally-hot Henry carried them back. Then they got to play Montreal without Price. They had some breaks to hide the fact that they were not a great team. The recent hot streak had a lot of wins against bad teams, hiding the fact that overall they have a losing record against the top teams. Reality is that the Rangers are a good team, not a great one, and they will need good fortune like last year if they're gonna repeat that playoff run.

Since January 1, 2014, the New York Rangers have THE best record in the National Hockey League. 13 months and over 100 NHL games. Nobody has won more games; nobody has a higher winning pct. Not Anaheim, not LA, not San Jose, not Pittsburgh, not the Islanders, not even Chicago.

There's no false sense. If you told me before the season that we would only lose to Tampa and the Isles I would have taken it. That's basically what we're doing at this point.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sorry, you don't make the ECF 2/3 years without being a very good team. So what if we had a hard time getting to the SCF? It's literally the hardest trophy to win in professional team sports. We draw the Blackhawks instead of the Kings and there's a parade down Broadway.

Kings won the Cup as an 8th seed, should it be revoked? They made it to SCF this past year by the skin of their teeth, so ****ing what?

Last edited:

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
This team is way too soft and it really shows against the Isles.

Having Zuccarello, Hagelin and St. Louis on this team is too redundant imo. Need some more size for this cycling strategy to actually work against the Islanders.

The "we are too soft" argument dont hold up anymore, We can go toe to toe with the biggest and strongest in the west. The problem we have against the Islanders are mental.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the three losses to the Islanders are almost carbon copies of each other. It's not just luck and bounces. The Isles pinned us in our end a bit too much. Forced our D into making too many mistakes. When we got the puck into their end we forced too many plays--the Isles execution of their breakouts were really good all night and we were often caught scrambling to get back on defense.

The first period to me was just crap. Numerous players just giving the puck up. It's one thing when they're forced. It's another when they're not. The team pretty much left Henrik out to swing in the wind too many times and though I didn't like how he left the net on Grabovski's goal--that we were down only 1-0 at the end of the first bordered on miraculous.

In the second and third periods last night--the Rangers did play with a lot of energy--the Rangers did create a lot of good and very good scoring chances. OTOH the Islanders much more than less controlled their own defensive zone. The very good chances didn't turn into very many great scoring chances--not a lot of rebounds left in front of the net. Halak had to be very good--that's easier sometimes when you're playing with a lead. Basically the advantage we had over them came down to just territorial. They played it safe--waited for mistakes and took advantage of enough of them. I would say we expended more energy in losing than they did in winning which is another way of saying we chased the play too much.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The "we are too soft" argument dont hold up anymore, We can go toe to toe with the biggest and strongest in the west. The problem we have against the Islanders are mental.

Not like it ever had a leg to stand on in the first place.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
To me the three losses to the Islanders are almost carbon copies of each other. It's not just luck and bounces. The Isles pinned us in our end a bit too much. Forced our D into making too many mistakes. When we got the puck into their end we forced too many plays--the Isles execution of their breakouts were really good all night and we were often caught scrambling to get back on defense.

The first period to me was just crap. Numerous players just giving the puck up. It's one thing when they're forced. It's another when they're not. The team pretty much left Henrik out to swing in the wind too many times and though I didn't like how he left the net on Grabovski's goal--that we were down only 1-0 at the end of the first bordered on miraculous.

In the second and third periods last night--the Rangers did play with a lot of energy--the Rangers did create a lot of good and very good scoring chances. OTOH the Islanders much more than less controlled their own defensive zone. The very good chances didn't turn into very many great scoring chances--not a lot of rebounds left in front of the net. Halak had to be very good--that's easier sometimes when you're playing with a lead. Basically the advantage we had over them came down to just territorial. They played it safe--waited for mistakes and took advantage of enough of them. I would say we expended more energy in losing than they did in winning which is another way of saying we chased the play too much.

This is exactly what I saw. The one thing that I still don't understand about the Islanders is why so many people think Capuano is holding them back. I admit to only watching them occasionally outside of the games against the Rangers, but they sure do looked well coached, in addition to talented/balanced, to me.

I certainly think the Rangers are amongst the best teams in the league, and that they can absolutely beat the Islanders in a 7 game series. That said, I also acknowledge that match-ups absolutely do matter, and right now, the Islanders and Tampa Bay present a match-up problem for the Rangers. I don't think it is one that can't be overcome, but they definitely need to approach games against those teams a bit differently.

I know this isn't groundbreaking stuff here, and it's a fairly obvious statement when you're what, 0-6 vs. those teams. But while the Rangers are really good, they aren't so good that they can impose their will on every team out there. They didn't lose these games because they weren't trying, or because they were "playing scared".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad