Random trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Thought this was worthy of a bump, as I was asked a good question the other day.

Name the 2 pairs of brothers that had 1 play in the NHL and one play in the CFL.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Who scored the first ever overtime penalty shot goal, and who was the goalie?

Sorry to bump my own Q, but I thought I'd give hints.

The scorer was the first ever draft pick in his franchise's history, and went on to play just over 900 games with them.

The goalie was, at the time, a backup. Playing for the team that he previously lost to in the Stanley Cup finals in his only finals appearance, and backing up the goalie that he lost to in those finals.

The two teams playing were the two teams that played against each other the night that Wayne Gretzky had his last career 5-point game.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Sorry to bump my own Q, but I thought I'd give hints.

The scorer was the first ever draft pick in his franchise's history, and went on to play just over 900 games with them.

The goalie was, at the time, a backup. Playing for the team that he previously lost to in the Stanley Cup finals in his only finals appearance, and backing up the goalie that he lost to in those finals.

The two teams playing were the two teams that played against each other the night that Wayne Gretzky had his last career 5-point game.

David Legwand and Kirk McLean?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Another CFL/NHL question.

Only player to play in the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup Finals in the same season (Grey Cup in November and then the Cup Finals following Spring).

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Another CFL/NHL question.

Only player to play in the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup Finals in the same season (Grey Cup in November and then the Cup Finals following Spring).

I think its a Leaf from the 30's. Can't recall his name. I think he was named Canada's best athlete for the first half of the century.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I think its a Leaf from the 30's. Can't recall his name. I think he was named Canada's best athlete for the first half of the century.

Not Lionel Conacher, though he did win both the Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup, though years apart. A little later than his time.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Gerry or Gary James...

Too lazy to href it.

Yup! I have the pleasure of knowing him personally. Is a member at a golf course I used to work at. Got to meet Brian Williams too when he came to do a story on James for the 100th Grey Cup.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Who was the first goalie to be replaced during a game in NHL history, and when did happen?

Deliberately, that wouldve been Art Ross in 1931 in the Semi-Finals against Montreal when he pulled the Goalie & added an extra attacker. However I think what your asking is when was the first Goalie pulled for playing badly, poor performance yes? For that we get into the more modern era, introduction of the 2 Goalie system.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Deliberately, that wouldve been Art Ross in 1931 in the Semi-Finals against Montreal when he pulled the Goalie & added an extra attacker. However I think what your asking is when was the first Goalie pulled for playing badly, poor performance yes? For that we get into the more modern era, introduction of the 2 Goalie system.
No, much earlier.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
No, much earlier.

... hmmmm. Ok. We talking being pulled for an extra attacker or being pulled because of poor performance & replaced with a backup? And its pre-1931 but NHL era so 1917/31 yes? Dont wanna cheat & go lookin for it, but that was my answer above, first thing popped into my head; Art Ross pulling Tiny Thompson for an extra attacker. Teams only carried one Goalie back then (and for a long time after) so unless its an injury or illness & fill-in, Im unaware of any replacement due to poor performance and not even sure if the Rules permitted it back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad