Random trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Name a player who during a season, when he was on the ice with his team short-handed, he scored more SH goals himself than the opponents scored PP goals.

There may be more than one answer to this question, but there is at least one. Not including players who scored a single SH goal in case that comes up.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yup, one goal. Enough to get the scoring title named after him.

It was given, or presented, to the league by Ross, hence the name. And Ross scored 60 or so goals in the NHA. He had 16 in 19 games one season, pretty good for a defenseman.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Best in the West

Between the first two expansions in the NHL, this gentleman was - arguably - the best defenseman in the West.

22142.jpg

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Name a player who during a season, when he was on the ice with his team short-handed, he scored more SH goals himself than the opponents scored PP goals.

There may be more than one answer to this question, but there is at least one. Not including players who scored a single SH goal in case that comes up.

I'll go with Goring and Dionne.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Brett Hull definitely did it. I'm sure it's happened a couple of other times too, because I've seen it come up when researching +/- stats from the past, but I'd have to look up who they were.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Sprung From Springfield

Bill White?

Yes. Bill White was 28 years old when he arrived in the NHL, in 1967-68. Before the Kings purchased the rights to the players belonging to the Springfield Indians, White was toiling in the AHL. On the blueline with him in Springfield - for 30+ games in 1966-67 - were Dale Rolfe and Barclay Plager. Not a bad trio.

Free of charge, I'm offering to any budding or actual author both the title and subject of a what could be a terrific hockey book. The title: Sprung from Springfield; the subject, players like Bill White, Dale Rolfe and Ted Harris who toiled in Springfield - with Eddie Shore - before finally arriving in the NHL belatedly.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010

I wanna say Ilya Kovalchuk did this in 2012.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Among NHL forwards with at least 200 career goals, who are the only two who scored more goals on the power-play than at even-strength?

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Yes. Bill White was 28 years old when he arrived in the NHL, in 1967-68. Before the Kings purchased the rights to the players belonging to the Springfield Indians, White was toiling in the AHL. On the blueline with him in Springfield - for 30+ games in 1966-67 - were Dale Rolfe and Barclay Plager. Not a bad trio.

Free of charge, I'm offering to any budding or actual author both the title and subject of a what could be a terrific hockey book. The title: Sprung from Springfield; the subject, players like Bill White, Dale Rolfe and Ted Harris who toiled in Springfield - with Eddie Shore - before finally arriving in the NHL belatedly.

Wow, did he ever lose a lot of hair by 1972. I bet that 71 final stressed him out or he tore it out from the Hawks lackadaisical forwards and their backchecking.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Among NHL forwards with at least 200 career goals, who are the only two who scored more goals on the power-play than at even-strength?

Paul Gardner? Camille Henry?

(Not sure if Henry is eligible, as I'm not sure HSP's uncovered splits from the 50s count towards this?)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Paul Gardner? Camille Henry?

(Not sure if Henry is eligible, as I'm not sure HSP's uncovered splits from the 50s count towards this?)
Paul Gardner is one.

I should have specified that this would only apply to players who started after the league started keeping track of power-plays goals. I don't know what Henry's career numbers would be, but for the last seven years of his career he had 35-ES and 23-PP.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I'll allow myself ... three picks, but two D's.

Holmstrom, Housley, Schneider.

I'm kinda 70% sure Holmstrom is one. And if there are two D's that could have come close to this, it's probably Housley and Schneider.

NVM, I thought Gardner was excluded.

So it's probably Gardner and Holmstrom :)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'll allow myself ... three picks, but two D's.

Holmstrom, Housley, Schneider.

I'm kinda 70% sure Holmstrom is one. And if there are two D's that could have come close to this, it's probably Housley and Schneider.

NVM, I thought Gardner was excluded.

So it's probably Gardner and Holmstrom :)
Yes, Holmstrom is the second one.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
I wanna say Ilya Kovalchuk did this in 2012.
Close; he had 3 SHG and 4 PP goals against.

Brett Hull definitely did it. I'm sure it's happened a couple of other times too, because I've seen it come up when researching +/- stats from the past, but I'd have to look up who they were.
Hull is correct, and there is at least one more I've found.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Close; he had 3 SHG and 4 PP goals against.

Hull is correct, and there is at least one more I've found.
After I answered that I checked and found two others:

Don Saleski '73-'74: 2-SHG, 1-PPA
Valeri Kamensky '92-'93: 3-SHG, 2-PPA

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I certainly never would have guessed Kamensky, though he was definitely an underrated player.

What were Hull's numbers?

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
PPG Defensemen

Before Bobby Orr compiled 120 points in 76 games - in 1969-70 - which defensemen had more points than games played in a season?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->