Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Do you folks from Carolina on this board know each other... it would be fun to meet some of you before game 4 and have a beer or two in the parking lot... let me know if anyone is interested...Such a strange world we live in nowadays...can feel like you know people but have never actually seen or met them... strange and pretty f***ing cool... I was a solo canes fan in BC for many many years

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Do you folks from Carolina on this board know each other... it would be fun to meet some of you before game 4 and have a beer or two in the parking lot... let me know if anyone is interested...Such a strange world we live in nowadays...can feel like you know people but have never actually seen or met them... strange and pretty ****ing cool... I was a solo canes fan in BC for many many years

I've only met 1 of the board members (unsustainable). I like to think it's because I like my privacy, but in reality, it's probably that none of them want to meet me. :laugh:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
@DaveG, @tarheelhockey, @Finlandia WOAT and I (well more Finlandia and I because Dave's in Winston-Salem now and tarheel has kids) do bar trivia together. @Navin R Slavin and I also live in the same neighborhood although I don't think we've ever met in person (although I've spotted him at more than a few Canes games because his seats used to be a row or two behind mine)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Message boards are literally built for people who are too shy/introverted to meet people in real life.

That may be their origin but probably not anymore.

I use it bc I can’t stay on a conference call with the 30 of you regulars during work hours.

Edit: I’ve met one person here, as Finlandia and I went to high school together. I think middle and elementary school too but we didn’t know each other then.

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Haha well let’s have an hf meet and greet (beer) on Thursday... I’d honestly love to put faces to the usernames...I can’t picture you as the shy type Hank haha... I just travelled 2665 miles so I could meet BBA and get him to sign my hat

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I met @Unsustainable once at a Checkers game, 2013 I think. It was at the Spectrum Center. He hooked me up with box seats, it was good time. Thanks buddy! :yo: #charlotte4life #CLTHockeySquad #Thuglife

Not a lot of HF posters in Charlotte. I think @Zezima @Socks @Unsustainable and myself are it, at least active/regular posters. I know there's a Panthers fan but can't remember his name.

@Tawnos ? (apologies if not you)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Do you folks from Carolina on this board know each other... it would be fun to meet some of you before game 4 and have a beer or two in the parking lot... let me know if anyone is interested...Such a strange world we live in nowadays...can feel like you know people but have never actually seen or met them... strange and pretty ****ing cool... I was a solo canes fan in BC for many many years

If you're serious, I'd suggest starting a dedicated thread, so we can figure out where in the parking lot and when and so on.

McBrockGinn

JerkDaddy
Jan 9, 2018
Male
I want to express my sincere thanks for some absolutely great hospitality as well. I drove down from Toronto with my wife for 5 days between games 3 and 4. We stayed around the Glenwood South area and had a blast. The city is extremely walk-able with some great options for late night activities. I was really taken back by the extensive craft beer scene you guys have. We probably hit up 5-7 breweries (memory gets a bit hazy) and went to a number of bars around our hotel as well. Truly impressive! I don't think I had a bad beer the entire week (minus the $5 bud lights at the arena). Games 3 and 4 were clearly the highlight of the trip though. The tailgating experience was nothing like anything we could possibly replicate in Canada. I'll forever remember the games though. We had some great seats for game 3 right behind the Washington bench. My wife gets pretty animated at games and let a few of the Caps fans sitting in front of us have it. The crowd and the atmosphere inside PNC for both games was unlike anything else though. It was soo great to be apart that environment and soo happy to see that the area is fully supporting these guys. Crazy what winning can do... There's a real good chance we'll be back for more playoff hockey in the future!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I want to express my sincere thanks for some absolutely great hospitality as well. I drove down from Toronto with my wife for 5 days between games 3 and 4. We stayed around the Glenwood South area and had a blast. The city is extremely walk-able with some great options for late night activities. I was really taken back by the extensive craft beer scene you guys have. We probably hit up 5-7 breweries (memory gets a bit hazy) and went to a number of bars around our hotel as well. Truly impressive! I don't think I had a bad beer the entire week (minus the $5 bud lights at the arena). Games 3 and 4 were clearly the highlight of the trip though. The tailgating experience was nothing like anything we could possibly replicate in Canada. I'll forever remember the games though. We had some great seats for game 3 right behind the Washington bench. My wife gets pretty animated at games and let a few of the Caps fans sitting in front of us have it. The crowd and the atmosphere inside PNC for both games was unlike anything else though. It was soo great to be apart that environment and soo happy to see that the area is fully supporting these guys. Crazy what winning can do... There's a real good chance we'll be back for more playoff hockey in the future!

Glad you guys had a blast! Offhand do you recall (hazily or otherwise) which breweries you might have gone to?

McBrockGinn

JerkDaddy
Jan 9, 2018
Male
Glad you guys had a blast! Offhand do you recall (hazily or otherwise) which breweries you might have gone to?

Should be able to *scrolls through my wife's Instagram account*
  • Raleigh Brewing
  • Lynnwood Brewing
  • Big Boss Brewing
  • Cloud Brewing
  • Crank Arm Brewing
We went to a number of solid Bars as well: Raleigh Beer Garden, Flying Saucer, Boxcar, and Paddy O Beers.

The other brewery on our list that we didn't get to was Brewery Bhavana - got a lot of recommendations to try that one (from the various bartenders in the bars we hopped around to) but just ran out of time.

Side note: we went to Lucky B's but I didn't see Battaglia...

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
I am flying in the early afternoon May 1st Game 3,.... I am planning on grabbing something quick to eat/drink and head to the lot. Can anyone recommend a bar/restaurant to grab something to eat with a good selection of local beers by the PNC that I can walk to the lot after?

I have looked at the OG post but some places I saw I do not think were mentioned.

Reactions: HisIceness

ManiacCaniac

Nov 7, 2005
The only place within walking distance that would serve food and an adult beverage is Backyard Bistro. There's a Wendy's nearby if that suits you.

Reactions: MTK

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
The only place within walking distance that would serve food and an adult beverage is Backyard Bistro. There's a Wendy's nearby if that suits you.

Thank you. Backyard Bistro it is. Also, in the parking lot can you drink from the can/bottle or do you have to put it in a solo cup? Just wanted to check as nothing came up on google about it. and we have certain venues that it has to be in a solo cup and some venues it doesn't matter?

Reactions: HisIceness

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thank you. Backyard Bistro it is. Also, in the parking lot can you drink from the can/bottle or do you have to put it in a solo cup? Just wanted to check as nothing came up on google about it. and we have certain venues that it has to be in a solo cup and some venues it doesn't matter?

You can drink from a can or bottle.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
IT IS PROBABLY MENTIONED SOMEWHERE, BUT ARE THERE ANY NATURAL LANDMARKS OF GREAT NOTABILITY IN NORTH CAROLINA?
The two biggest natural attractions in our state are probably the outer banks barrier islands that stretch the entire Atlantic coastline of the state and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that forms a large portion of the Western border of the state with Tennessee. And while we are not the biggest state in the Union, those two natural landmarks are about a seven hour drive apart depending on which portion of the Outer Banks you wish to visit.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
also the great dismal swamp and the black river, home to the oldest confirmed living tree in eastern North America, and one of the oldest on the planet.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
IT IS PROBABLY MENTIONED SOMEWHERE, BUT ARE THERE ANY NATURAL LANDMARKS OF GREAT NOTABILITY IN NORTH CAROLINA?

The two biggest natural attractions in our state are probably the outer banks barrier islands that stretch the entire Atlantic coastline of the state and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that forms a large portion of the Western border of the state with Tennessee. And while we are not the biggest state in the Union, those two natural landmarks are about a seven hour drive apart depending on which portion of the Outer Banks you wish to visit.

Other natural landmarks:

Pilot Mountain

c3ojgslmbd5d1ycr3ueh.jpg

Chimney Rock (where the climax of Last of the Mohicans was filmed!)

2017-10-07_chimney-rock-state-park_chimney-lake-lure-early-fall-color.jpg

Blue Ridge Mountains

blue_ridge_mountains_NC.jpg

Cape Hatteras National Seashore

chns-59.jpg

Grandfather Mountain
grandfather2.jpg

Mount Mitchell
a6o86zdc0pmbjnlsrngp.jpg

There's also DuPont State Recreational Forest which contains four sets of waterfalls (again featured in the film Last of the Mohicans in which Western NC subbed in for Upstate New York):

Hooker Falls
hooker-falls-03-1024x683.jpg

Triple Falls
triple-falls-nc-01-770x515.jpg

Bridle Veil Falls
bridal-veil-falls-highlands_0.jpg

High Falls
high_falls_NC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events