Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
@hurricure - As mentioned, if you want walking distance, the Ramada by Wyndham Raleigh or the Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh Arena are your two best bets. If you don't mind a short Uber/Lyft ride then I'd also look at the following properties which are within 2-3 miles of the arena.

There's also a bunch (like 10-11) hotels near Crabtree Valley Mall, about 5 miles away - it's a little further away from the arena but, again, more options if you want them.

As for getting playoff drunk your best option in walking distance/stumbling distance is Backyard Bistro. Again if you don't mind an Uber/Lyft ride Glenwood South (about 6 miles away from PNC) and Fayetteville Street (about 7 miles away in downtown Raleigh) are sort of the two main activity hubs in th eimmediate area. There's also a pretty thriving microbrew scene, including Gizmo (9 miles away from PNC) where @DaveG used to (still?) work as an assistant brewer. In full disclosure it's co-owned by my wife's best friend (who also used to come around here occasionally as thinkingcake). Let me know if you're looking for a few more specific recommendations in the way of bars/restaurants/breweries.

Last edited:

McBrockGinn

JerkDaddy
Jan 9, 2018
Male
Alright... if these guys can keep this up and actually make the playoffs I’m going to head out that way for game 1 and 2...since I’m a west coast BC boy I know nothing about Raleigh except that your a proud bunch of jerks.... what hotel do I want to book (obv no car so close to something that helps me get around), what seats am I chasing... where do I go to get playoff drunk... not too concerned about price so a little closer to the nice side than the skid side... thanks for your help

That's my exact plan as well - coming from Toronto. I've been telling my wife for years that I'd only make the journey down to watch a home game once they make the playoffs. It's starting to look like a real possibility so I've been creeping this thread again to get some tips and suggestions on how to do right.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Thinking of driving down to Raleigh from Toronto to see a Canes playoff game. Seeing as tickets for the Leafs will likely run $350+ to see a game in Toronto, it makes me want to take a trip down to Raleigh to see a game and experience the playoff atmosphere.

Wondering if you folks have suggestions for places to eat, tour and visit while in the city for a couple days?

Cheers!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah @smitty10 if you jinx our playoff hopes then that wouldn't be cool and I would be mad at you. I wouldn't hurt you though as thats against the law.

Anyways I'll second what @Ahoy there said but I'll be a friendly fella and give you a general synopsis here.

Places to eat.

1. Raleigh Beer Garden. This place has 350+ on tap and also has custom hand-crafted food items, try the beer pretzel.
2. The Pit BBQ. Pretty much a must if visiting the city. Will probably be the fanciest BBQ place one will ever visit (BBQ places in the south are more moderate/casual settings for cheap) but it's worth it.
3. Bojangles. Yes it's fast food but you gotta try it once if you haven't.
4. I ate at a place called J. Alexanders by Crabtree Valley Mall recently. American-style food that I thought was really good. Pricey but a good place to chill.

Tour/Visit.

1. Duke University. It's in Durham but it's a popular visitor spot and the campus is worth visiting if you get the opportunity.
2. Natural Museum of Science, it's actually NCs most visited attraction surpassing the Biltmore Estate in Asheville.
3. NC Museum of Art. I haven't been in years but it was always a good visit.
4. Pullen Park. Good place to bring the kids but adults like it too.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
booking right now. Where's the best place to buy tickets to the games? I'm starting to get giddy

I'd go with Ticketmaster and include the verified resales in your search parameters (I think they automatically get included but I might be wrong). That's the official channel through the team and for something like this I'd hate to get caught with tickets that aren't legit.

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
I'd go with Ticketmaster and include the verified resales in your search parameters (I think they automatically get included but I might be wrong). That's the official channel through the team and for something like this I'd hate to get caught with tickets that aren't legit.
thanks again, went with stub hub... ITS REALLY HAPPENING...unfortunately the new GF and my daughter wanted to tag along so Pejorative Slured drunken playoff Phil will have to stay in canada. Semi drunk and obnoxious Phil will still be making the trip, although it is a very fine line and might trip over it

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
thanks again, went with stub hub... ITS REALLY HAPPENING...unfortunately the new GF and my daughter wanted to tag along so ******ed drunken playoff Phil will have to stay in canada. Semi drunk and obnoxious Phil will still be making the trip, although it is a very fine line and might trip over it

Stubhub is usually legit (I've purchased tickets through them numerous times). Just for something *this* special I would want an absolutely 0% chance that something could go wrong with the tickets which is why I'd go with Ticketmaster. Any other random Canes game? Sure. First playoff game in 10 years? I'm leaving nothing to chance.

hurricure

Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
I hope I’m not annoying you folks too much.... with that two day break between games is it worth taking some time and heading to a beach, if so which 1??? Plane tickets purchased, Wingate reserved, game tickets purchased... 1 of you jerks better teach me to tailgate properly!!!!

Reactions: McBrockGinn

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I hope I’m not annoying you folks too much.... with that two day break between games is it worth taking some time and heading to a beach, if so which 1??? Plane tickets purchased, Wingate reserved, game tickets purchased... 1 of you jerks better teach me to tailgate properly!!!!

Grill
Meat to grill
Beer
Cigars
Rock Music
Sunglasses
Water
Febreeze and mouthwash to eliminate the cigar smell and after-taste

Good to go my friend! :thumbu:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Brie
Prosciutto-wrapped melon
Sun-Dried Tomato and Ricotta Bruschetta
Smoked Salmon and goat cheese on mini-toast
Lobster tails
Arugula salad
Mulled wine

Oh, you don't mean a tailgate in Chapel Hill, you mean the Canes game. :sarcasm:

Since you are traveling, take the easy way. Go buy some BBQ and some Bojangles and bring it rather than grilling on your own.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Totally aren't annoying us. And if you take a day trip I'd say to etiher go to the beach, the mountains (Asheville, especially), to Charlotte, or Pinehurst if you're a golfer. Closest beach is Wrightsville Beach - not sure how that one compares to others, though.

Brie
Prosciutto-wrapped melon
Sun-Dried Tomato and Ricotta Bruschetta
Smoked Salmon and goat cheese on mini-toast
Lobster tails
Arugula salad
Mulled wine

Oh, you don't mean a tailgate in Chapel Hill, you mean the Canes game. :sarcasm:

Since you are traveling, take the easy way. Go buy some BBQ and some Bojangles and bring it rather than grilling on your own.

Also concur here. If you're a n00b, get it done for you rather than deal with the hassle yourself. There's also both a Harris Teeter and a Whole Foods not far from the arena and both have full deli counters if you wanted to do that rather than Bo's or BBQ.

hurricure

Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
I’m an Uber Noob... I’ll fumble through it... can’t believe I’m actually doing this... packing right now, drive to Spokane and fly out at 5 in the morning... what’s the night like... should we pack some warm clothing or can I get by in shorts and sandals the whole time?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’m an Uber Noob... I’ll fumble through it... can’t believe I’m actually doing this... packing right now, drive to Spokane and fly out at 5 in the morning... what’s the night like... should we pack some warm clothing or can I get by in shorts and sandals the whole time?

I would recommend something at least a little warm, but that's up to you. Only going to be a high of 17C/62F on Monday and a low of 6C/44F. Other than that, you should be ok.

Reactions: hurricure

hurricure

Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
I’m in your city... I pictured less green but am super surprised...beautiful everywhere I’ve seen so far...um are tornado watches something that happens often here? I’m definitely not used to those types of warnings!!

Last edited:
Reactions: vorbis

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’m in your city... I pictured less green but am super surprised...beautiful everywhere I’ve seen so far...um are tornado watches something that happens often here? I’m definitely not used to those types of warnings!!

We get Tornado watches sporadically from March through November so they aren’t uncommon as storms sweep across the south, but they aren’t exactly a regular thing either (meaning they don’t happen every week). I recall reading somewhere that NC gets about 25 actual tornadoes per year across the whole state and that April is usually the worst month.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Be glad you're here this week and not last week - I think you may have escaped the yellow haze.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

hurricure

Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
This place is fantastic and everyone is friendly as can be... going to check out the museum of science today... game last night was one of the greatest nights of my life... so far no regrets heading east to see all you jerks!!! And what in the world would cause a “yellow haze” other than something delicious like sulfur dioxide?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This place is fantastic and everyone is friendly as can be... going to check out the museum of science today... game last night was one of the greatest nights of my life... so far no regrets heading east to see all you jerks!!! And what in the world would cause a “yellow haze” other than something delicious like sulfur dioxide?

Pine pollen. It's notoriously bad down here.

20180115b-www-asthmacenter-com.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad