OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
What was the ask for Stanton at the time? 2015 I think. Glasnow and others, that we passed up on? Upton was the year before I think, but they wanted Marte.

I remember hearing a package of Marte, Polanco Cole and Stetson Allie for Stanton, Yelich and Steve Cishek at the time

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd make the trade for DeGrom. Essentially what I was trying to drive at in one of my rambling, longer posts yesterday was that we're better off pushing a bunch of chips in the middle for right now, next year, and in some respects 2020 than we are continuing to slowly build. We have some good talent circling in the lower minors, and if things don't work out, we have a combination of potentially useful and valuable pieces to integrate into a new core and go for a more proper rebuild in 2020/21.

The Mets are such a shit show that who knows what would even happen. Meadows, Keller, Kuhl, Mitchell/Sanchez + a lottery ticket would be a steep price, but how much would it really subtract from the next few years? There's cost-control basically spread all around, and that deal wouldn't touch potential supplemental pieces to chip in over the next few years as well. The major problem would be figuring out who plays SS - would have to hope Newman could do it.

It wouldn't be the worst big game to try and hunt. Braves/Phillies might be a little gun shy, since it's in their interest to keep as much young talent as possible and build with free agency. The Yankees are going to press, but Cashman has historically been pretty cheap, and if you assume he wants to protect Sheffield + general Mets hatred of Yankees + desire to get mostly MLB talent, then who knows?

I imagine that this winning streak needs to keep rolling, or else something just about as good such as 2/3 here in Cleveland, and 3/4 vs the Mets this weekend. With no one seemingly in charge in New York, it seems more likely that they'll just chart a course in the offseason, but maybe their braintrust panics some. If the Pirates start a package with Meadows, Kuhl, and Keller, then you have one pitcher who has put up mid-rotation numbers and will step in, an MLB ready position player who tore it up, and a pretty shiny pitching prospect who is not that far off either. We have the capacity to add any number of organizational help with guys like Osuna, Frazier, Holmes, Eppler, etc., and/or some appealing low minors guys like Cruz, Mitchell, Hearn.

I still give it no chance of happening, but the dynamics of this deadline are pretty strange. I think Huntington has genuinely been involved in big discussions, but I still think his MO is always to err on the side of caution. The one big difference between this team and previous teams is how many positions are locked in with controllable talent. Could things fall into place such that he has an opportunity to basically utilize his top prospects and trade up from Kuhl to DeGrom? I think it's too homeristic, but crazier things have happened.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
gonna find out real soon how this game will go in the bottom of first. Still think Williams is the weak link of the rotation.

Dont like this matchup at all.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The only logical explanation for this season is that somebody has figured out a cheat code on reality and rigged everythng to go our way, and the huge bad stretch was pennance or something.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What a weird season. First I regretted not buying the mlb package, so I bought it. Then I soon there after regretted making the purchase. Now I'm once again happy I bought it......

weird

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If Bell can find his power to go along with what the rest of the lineup is doing, we actually have a chance.

Need more from Moran too. As much as we dismiss Mercer , he does have 24 doubles now. Him and Harrison would be ok if we had our 3rd and 1st basemen hitting for power.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Mercer has generally been very solid, but this is the first year with a negative WAR and he's 31. I don't think he's been so bad that he's sinking the team, but this should be his last season as a Pirate unless he picks it up in the second half.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the key at this point is essentially the pitching. The offense will eventually cool off, but unless it goes ice cold, if you have reasonably solid starting pitching and good backend arms in the bullpen, it will be harder to go into a real slide.

Best case scenario is that we ride this win streak out as long as possible, obviously. The quicker we stack up wins, the more room for error we have in terms of the win total it will need to get into the WC game.

Offensively, easy to say after tonight, but J-Hay going into the kind of mode we saw out of him last year would be massive. I wouldn't change a thing from Moran, and hope to just see Bell getting better contact. If the outfielders continue their power, we'll have a decent amount of power overall.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty much a free win. Didn't cost the Indians that much in terms of expending their bullpen either, but the "nothing can go wrong" train keeps rolling right along. Now we have two cracks to win the series, with Musgrove and Taillon on the mound. Eventually we will get into a deficit early on in a ballgame, but right now it just feels like no moments of the game are even imposing.

Every win of this streak becomes massive, since we chip away at the WC race quickly, and maybe even catapult ourselves back into the divisional race. The Cubs have four games vs Arizona right now (lost the first tonight), then three vs. the Cards. If they slide a little bit, it's conceivable that we could be facing them down 5 games or so, meaning that we could close that to 3 games with still plenty of time remaining. I won't hold my breath, since the seven they have after that are vs San Diego and Kansas City, but more possibilities open up sooner if we keep winning every day.

Williams looked pretty solid to me, even with the massive comfortable lead for the whole game. He had some hard hit balls early on, but his location was very sharp, and it seems like that changeup is currently a weapon vs. lefty batters.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the thing to hope for is that 2014 J Hay materializes for the next two months.

A much different late season boost could come from Nick Burdi, who is now in Altoona. Can't imagine it would be until September, and I'd guess the same for Kang, unless he really goes on a tear or somebody gets injured.

To me, the deadline will be about which reliever strengthens the depth a little bit more, and varied amounts of speculation and rumor over a starting pitcher if we keep winning a bunch of games. One idea I saw kicking around was trading Nova and an ok prospect to Toronto for Happ, which maybe gives an upgrade in the short-term and clears Nova's salary for the next few years. It's an interesting proposition, but I'm not sure that Happ would really recapture what he had when he was here. At SP, I'd say it's deGrom / Archer or bust.

Outside of that, I don't see a lot of room to move around. In fact, even if we hypothetically went out and paid the premium for deGrom, unless the trade involved Williams or Kingham, then presumably the bullpen spot currently occupied by Sadler would go to Williams. I guess Brault could be optioned, but otherwise I don't see a lot of space. The bench bats are basically set unless there's a trade. The only question is if Meadows will be called back up when he's safely past super two, or if we'll try and get power out of Luplow. Since Meadows not on the team means that we're going to see S Rod in CF sooner or later, my hope is that we get him back up here as soon as possible, but now that Polanco has less negative attention on him, it might be harder to work Meadows in.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Sonny Gray might be available, I personally don’t think he’s that great, but he’d definitely be an upgrade to our rotation.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know the other shoe will drop, but for now, I am enjoying the hell out of the streak and the fact that the team actually wants to add at the deadline and not dump away talent like every year.

Reactions: Brandinho

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I know the other shoe will drop, but for now, I am enjoying the hell out of the streak and the fact that the team actually wants to add at the deadline and not dump away talent like every year.

Enjoying it as well but still keep looking back at that 13-32 stretch. Just 5 wins during that , putting them at 18-27 (which is still horrible) and they are 57-44 and at the top of the WC.

Said all along this team had what it took to compete. Got up to 9 games above .500 but after that they couldnt get the bats on the same page with pitching. So many blown games, If they just pulled out a few of those I definitely think they could have avoided that long losing streak and at least stayed around .500. But things eventually spiraled out of control after hovering around the .500 mark for awhile when they dropped to 8 games under. So from 9 up to 8 under. 17 game collapse.

During this stretch theyve been firing on all cylinders. Hitting for avg, power, starting pitching, and the pen. That wasnt even happening when they started out with a 26-17 record. If we can just get one of Bell/Moran to start hitting for power as well, this team has a chance. We've witnessed how important it is to have that in the lineup. Most of these wins during this streak were due to the long ball. Some of these guys wont keep it up. We need at least one of Bell or Moran to step up in that category.

They are first in MLB in July in HRs with 28.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sonny Gray might be available, I personally don’t think he’s that great, but he’d definitely be an upgrade to our rotation.

Sonny Gray would be a good target. Struggling so you can probably not pay an arm and a leg for him AND two of his biggest issues magically disappear if he is traded here... Yankee Stadium and the over reliance on secondary pitches.

Eovoldi would eb a good add also.

Reactions: That1Kid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad