OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
two on , no outs. SRod coming up soon. Here we go.

Hurdled #1

1 out and guys on 2nd and 3rd. Sean does his thing as usual. they get to walk Mercer and get to Taillon.

and leads to him having a poor bottom half of the inning. expected.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Eh, I am staunchly against Rodriguez playing, but it's fair to say that Suarez made a pretty nice play on his first at-bat. He just had a pretty decent at-bat in the last inning to force a key walk, and get Mahle to throw a bunch of pitches. It's bad that he's going to keep playing over Moroff while Harrison nurses his injury, but since it's inevitable, might as well hope he puts up some more good at-bats.

That was a key inning. Taillon has had to dance through the raindrops a little bit. He's again getting ahead almost every time, getting two strikes a lot, but not putting guys away enough. It's maybe a good idea to nibble in a close game in this bandbox, but it's costing him pitches. He could use a quick inning if he's going to definitely get 6 IP.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Crooked score here would be nice, allow Taillon to try and be aggressive and maybe get 7 innings. He's pitched a very nice game - I'll gladly take six scoreless or 1 ER.

LMAO SERPICO

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We're firmly in weird baseball territory. Would be nice to just see the bullpen coast through this one. Maybe get Feliz some work. Save some for tomorrow - you pretty much never want to count on a sweep, but ideally we'll set ourselves up for one with another good start from Kingham.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Definitely seems like it could be a capper. The key will be more solid pitching. It's funny, Taillon's line wasn't sterling last night, but in the flow of the game, he was pretty crucial. He got into some long battles early in the game that cost him pitches, but he also did a good job of staying out of bad situations, which I think was important in a weird, fresh start long rain delay kind of game. A couple bad sequences and we could have been on the other end of a 4 or 5 run inning, and he had some key Ks when he needed.

Kingham was on a nice roll prior to the ASB, and what we need is more 6 inning, minimal runs kind of starts. Tonight could be big for propelling the momentum again post-ASB. The Reds are facing down the deadline, and Harvey will definitely be showcase-starting on Sunday.

We're also facing down the deadline and pretty much should be even if we sweep the Reds and Indians, but it's much lower stakes. I could live with getting some value out of Dickerson, but Cervelli and Harrison are hurt, and the only real piece seems to be Vazquez, but short of getting the Yankees to pay up huge (if you could pry Sheffield, you probably have to think about it), I doubt that's in the cards. Maybe there's a small chance we'll move Mercer or Freese for C prospects, but I wouldn't be surprised if NH does absolutely nothing at the deadline.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Update: S-Rod is bad again.

More seriously, it seems crucial for this team to get ahead in the first half of the game. Even if it's just a run or two, they definitely switch into another gear and look much more sharp. I'm sure this is a pretty standard and obvious thing, but it's also how they looked a lot more often early in the season.

Edit: luck still strongly in our favor. Would be nice if it can extend into next week in a very tough series vs Cleveland. Gotta press for the sweep tomorrow, assuming this lead holds. We could be 4.5 games behind in the WC race if Milwaukee loses and we win - a week and a half ago that was 13 games or so. Really insane.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Would be nice if Dickerson is correcting for his lack of HRs. Would also be nice if Bell would find some power.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Dickerson can be pretty streaky with his power, so even if he just has an insane run for the next 10 games or so, he picked the perfect two weeks of the season for it. It's nice that Bell is finding his hitting stroke finally, and encouraging that a lot of the balls have been hit pretty hard.

This will pretty much be the case as long as we remain where we are in the standings, but now that we have the opportunity, a sweep against a worse team is actually pretty crucial. In this case it gives us a decent chance to make sure we're 4-2 in the first two series, and a good foothold on the 7-3 run we probably need. Hard not to like the immediate performance: steady and shutdown pitching with solid hitting spread throughout the lineup, even S-Rod.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think if Bell finds his HR power, this team will definitely make a run at the wild card. He has just 1 HR since June 1.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Damn I have Harvey in fantasy so this batting practice situation is bad for me but I don't care, keep the dingers coming.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Not sure you could even draw up a better series. Hopefully it gives us an edge to somehow take the series in Cleveland - if so, hype train will really be geared up. With where we are in the race, pretty much any series loss is going to be hard to swallow, but the sweep gives us cover to lose in Cleveland and still be 4-2 after the break.

Nova and Dickerson both present interesting situations at the deadline. Both trending up, still some control left so not irrelevant to making a push next year, but also both have younger, cheaper players behind them. I think it probably makes sense to just stand pat on both, as it's hard to see how any trade would move the needle that much.

The only trades that I'd irrationally want NH to get involved in are on the one hand, Britton or another impact RP, and on the other hand, a better SP. If we could move for Britton and give up a younger prospect or two with a high ceiling, like Mitchell or Sanchez + a C pitching prospect, then that's a calculated risk that's unequivocally bad in the medium to long term, but is the type of conservativism that has really plagued NH. Now if that asking price is Meadows or Keller, obviously it's a nonstarter, but it's hard to believe the bidding for Britton could get that extreme, and we have some pieces to play with further down the line (I single those two out specifically because we have relative OF depth, given the major league situation plus other prospects).

At SP, I think it's somewhat dicier, since the available players are either out of a price range or might not move the needle enough. For instance, it would be great on paper to acquire Fulmer and have Taillon, Musgrove, Fulmer, and Kingham as the core SPs going forward. But will any one of those guys really shoulder the impact starter role you need to be a threat in the playoffs?

Whatever highly unlikely thought experiment you want to spin out, the fact rmains that we are not really committed to a specific time frame. I'm hoping we'll be willing to use some bullets to try an augment the immediate and near future, if only because at the end of the day, I don't think we can hope for much other than being involved in the WC race to some extent year after year, and hoping for the best with the rest. If that's right, then it makes sense to try and take some risks wherever you can. Another high end bullpen arm suddenly makes the pitching situation look very good if these starters keep turning in 6 good innings.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I do not understand this team. All I know is that they aren't a bad team, but I don't think I've ever seen such a dramatic gulf between the good and bad stretches.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
For his body type and skill that truly makes no sense

It doesn't make sense, but I think it makes more sense than the people who envisioned Bell as someone who'd slug 30+ home runs every year. His hit tool has always been his best asset by far and he's never been a guy who was seen as a future slugger. Go back and read any scouting report and all of the questions are about his in-game power.

So then last year happens and he suddenly shows considerably more power than he ever has at any point in the past. His average tanked, his strikeouts shot up, but a lot of people were happy because he was finally showing big power and they assumed he could incorporate that into his game without a significant loss in some other area to compensate for it. Perhaps he can't. You can lose your entire approach by trying to tweak the wrong aspects of it. I'm not saying that Bell has lost everything, but I do wonder if he isn't going to end up realizing that trying to unlock his power wasn't worth the sacrifices.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I always envisioned Bell in the Will Clark/Mark Grace mold (w/o the gloves)... good eye, strong hit tool, some power to tap into but not league leading power, doubles by the bushel-full, good to v good average/OB%.

I never thought he was going to be the huge bopper corner infielder, more of that really strong pre-roids era first baseman (again, w/o the glove most of those guys had... Clark, Grace, Garvey)

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Well there are certainly pros and cons of changing your batting approach, Dickerson is obviously showing what happens when it works out. I still think Bell has HR upside, but he certainly has a lower ceiling just because he doesn’t swing wild like some of the guys that hit those kind of numbers.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Well there are certainly pros and cons of changing your batting approach, Dickerson is obviously showing what happens when it works out. I still think Bell has HR upside, but he certainly has a lower ceiling just because he doesn’t swing wild like some of the guys that hit those kind of numbers.

That's a fair point, but I'd draw a distinction in that Dickerson altered his approach to make it more fundamentally sound and to negate his biggest flaw, which was his inability to hit fastballs. Bell altered his approach because he wanted more power, but a lack of power is not nearly as big a flaw as being one of the worst fastball hitters in the majors. There also isn't anything that Dickerson had to sacrifice for that change, it's just an objectively better approach that makes 2018 Dickerson better than 2017 Dickerson. Bell seems to have sacrificed contact for power and that isn't the path I'd like to see him take in terms of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->