OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco POLANCOOOOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Geez scorekeeper, I know it's his debut and all, but the ball hit his glove so that has to be an error. What a joke to give Rizzo a double there.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Bob Nutting has so much control over this team that he got Polanco to make a bad play in right field to vindicate the Pirates for letting him rot in AAA until the second week of June.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The ball hit his glove, but it would have been a great play if he wound up with it. If the game were in a neutral stadium it'd be a coin toss decision.

A great play for an average joe or a rec league player, but a major leaguer? That's a routine play. He was pretty much under it and it hit his glove. He was worried about running into the wall. Understandable in his 1st ml game and considering he is still new to rf, but an error nonetheless.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
The ball hit his glove, but it would have been a great play if he wound up with it. If the game were in a neutral stadium it'd be a coin toss decision.

That seemed like a pretty routine play. He took a good route to the ball and was there in plenty of time, he just misplayed catching it for some reason. Like someone said maybe he was afraid of hitting the wall, but that was a pretty routine catch for a major league player.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The one defensive thing that is for sure is that Marte should be the center fielder. McCutchen has no arm at all and Marte is faster than him. Couple that with Marte's at best offensive inconsistency, meaning he would bring more value if his defense was utilized in CF, and he should move over.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Polanco should be the center fielder in my mind. The only problem with shifting things around is that the arm is more vital in the corners. In most park LF doesn't need a gun, but with how huge PNC Park's left field is Marte's arm prevents quite a lot of tag-ups.

As long as McCutchen has range he's acceptable in center, but there's no question that once Polanco figures right field out that Cutch will be the worst fielding of our three outfielders. And really that's a pretty nice problem to have, but still.

Polanco almost feels wasted in PNC Park's right field, but that's where the arm is most important...so shifting Cutch there would make no sense and Marte would be equally wasted there.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Gonna chalk up Polanco's first MLB game to some nerves and jitters. He didn't look very comfortable at the plate his first couple of times up, but his last at bat really started to show his pitch selection is above average.

The gaffe in RF looked to be his being unfamiliar with PNC. He took a good line to the ball but seemed to hesitate and focused more on the collision with the wall than the catch. It didn't help that it was his first play in RF as a major leaguer. He probably could have used a couple of fly balls previously to help get him a feel for how RF plays out there.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Oblique strain for Liriano. It's an ambiguous recovery time, but could mean up to two months. Pretty disastrous week for injuries.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
So the Pirates starting rotation right now is

Morton
Volquez
Cumpton
Locke
Worley

Without looking at other MLB teams starting rotations i would say that has to be the worst rotation in baseball.

:help:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I still remember Jose Guillen's throw in 1998. Incredible cannon. His throw had more distance than Cespedes' throw last night.

I remember Dave Parker in 1979 All-Star game. He threw out 2 runners and won the MVP.

Good god, you're right that is better. I was really young when he came up but I remember he was pretty hyped. Shame it didn't work out here.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
So the Pirates starting rotation right now is

Morton
Volquez
Cumpton
Locke
Worley

Without looking at other MLB teams starting rotations i would say that has to be the worst rotation in baseball.

:help:

Seeing it in writing makes it a lot worse than I thought it was. That's terrible.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's really bad, but it's not like Liriano wasn't already pretty bad, and Cole, as the best pitcher of the original five, was pitching like a solid #3. The healthy pitching we started the year with is the main reason we are at best a .500 team.

(I'm not arguing that we are better off without them, just throwing some more perspective on it).

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
I still remember Jose Guillen's throw in 1998. Incredible cannon. His throw had more distance than Cespedes' throw last night.

I remember Dave Parker in 1979 All-Star game. He threw out 2 runners and won the MVP.

Guillen's throw is better. Parker's throws are best. (Clemente not withstanding) Does anyone have ability to find video of Parker's throw(s). There were more than just the All-Star game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad