OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco POLANCOOOOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Marte is such a frustrating hitter. Here's a guy who hit the first pitch he saw in the majors out. Now he either is taking all the way on the first pitch of an ab, or he tries that drag bunt that he never connects on. He gives up way too many easy first pitch strikes. It is at the point that I think pitchers throw over the middle of the plate first pitch to him because they know he won't swing. Perfect example was that k there. He is taking all the way on the first pitch, a fb thigh high center. He proceeds to swing at 2 breakers in the dirt. The key to hitting is controlling the count and swinging at the best pitch to hit in an ab. Far too often does he let the pitcher get up 0-1 by throwing good pitches to hit.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Tucker does seem like a well-spoken kid-- easy to see why that combination of confidence and talent made him a first rounder.

Pirates are not doing themselves any favors tonight against Sammmghafekhelwkgnlwegnvlewgnlgenlgenmlg;;;. Volquez looks solid so far, and was dealing some nasty stuff last inning, but he's probably going to have to throw 6 or 7 shutout innings to give us a chance in this one.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That was a beautiful pitch to end the inning.

Polanco gets a single on an 0-2 count. Bad spot by Samarjdfdjsdjzidjsijfjia. Baker is a lousy catcher at throwing people out...first steal incoming?

edit: Nope, Marte single does the job instead.

That Cutch is an okay ballplayer, eh? Triple brings 'em both in. But...overslid third?

e2: Downpour settles in...thankfully the game is official if it comes to that.

What is it with these NL Central teams having weather? Rain isn't a thing in June...

e3: 2nd & 3rd with 1 out? No problem. Volquez getting it done in clutch situations tonight.

e4: What a ****ing catch by Marte! Wow!

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
What an outing for Volquez. Let's hope he can build on it and stay consistent. Even 6 innings/2 earned runs would be a lift to this pitching staff going forward.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
And he gets out of it (though 'it' was only the a double for Samariefjsioghajkgbavlknfa[o';jghja) again.

Getting 7 innings out of him tonight is huge. Getting 7 shutout innings out of him? Magnificent.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Tuned into the D'backs-Astros game and watched Chad Qualls blow a save.

Well no ****ing ****, Houston. I'm assuming Daniel McCutchen is next in their closer pipeline.

edit: Gaby with a double off the bench. Snider had one earlier tonight. The bench has been real good this year...without a doubt the best aspect of having a 1B platoon that works and about 14 outfielders.

e2: Hughes gets a strikeout on a pitch that hits the batter :laugh:

e3: One good thing about living on the west coast is that this game ended at 8:28 for me :laugh:
Polanco looks like a ****ing giant when doing the post-win celebration with Cutch & Marte...good lord.

Last edited:

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Raise it!

Nick Kingham just promoted to Indy. He could be on our rotation next season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kingham struggled early, but apparently he's done pretty well the past few weeks. He's almost assured a September call-up and could potentially start next season in Pittsburgh...though I wouldn't put money on that.

If Kingham can live up to what his projection is we'll have that pitcher that we've so desperately needed for so long - the innings eater. I hope expectations of Kingham don't get out of hand, he's a #3 guy that a certain Pirates Prospects writer seems to get enamored with (and mad at) a bit too much, but we need that kind of guy that can give us 220 innings and a 3.40 ERA.

His teammates weren't helping him much in Altoona, either...a 3.04 ERA and a 1-7 record...yeesh. That lousy 2009 draft is really evident with how awful Altoona is...at least Mel Rojas, Jr. (2010) seems to have returned to being a legitimate prospect...but even he's in AAA now. Altoona is in a desperate need of some Bradenton call-ups.

edit: On the Bradenton front, third straight star for Glasnow without allowing a run with only 6 hits allowed...despite his struggles his ERA is now 1.90. Josh Bell pulled a McCutchen and homered for the third straight game and added a double.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, Altoona is terrible. When I saw them a week or so ago, it was against the Blue Jays AA team, and there were about 3 balls hit out of the infield all day.

This series with the Marlins actually matters in terms of catching them in the wild card race. Our pitchers are Locke, Morton, and probably Worley. I'm kind of curious to see what Worley can bring... it doesn't seem like there are any other options unless they have Gomez and Pimentel both throw a few innings or something, but given the general pitching struggles, sapping long relief like that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad