OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco POLANCOOOOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
KEPNER3-articleLarge.jpg

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Gomez and Braun. Is there really any other reason not to detest the Brewers?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Davis hasn't been the same since his injury. I am not expecting much. Maybe a left handed Sanchez at best.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Normally ptbnl can be anyone in the org, but Since draft picks can only be dealt a year after they have signed and all picks last year were signed by mid July, it is quite likely the ptbnl is a 2013 draft pick. Considering Davis has been on the trading block all summer and he will only be used in a platoon here, he shouldn't be getting a big return, but I fear that Huntington is panicking from the .500 start and might have overpaid.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Damn, a single would have tied the game. But no, Pedro with another K.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Maldonando should have been eating dirt by now. But the Pirates have no balls to do anything about the Mercer spiking.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Bases loaded, gotta do it here.

Marte up.

Wow, he pops up. The LOB count now at 10. Pathetic.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
frustrating night and this ptnbl talk has me a bit nervous that we paid too much for ike. clearly no one else wanted or needed him, so i guess the FO has earned some trust. im still mad about losing herrera though.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Bad game all around. I was there, and it was worth it to pay for tickets to see Gomez throw a tantrum live, but otherwise, pretty ugly. Morton picking back up with the frustrating starts where he mostly looks good except for the sequence that costs the team the game + the sequence of weird bad bounces. I still have faith in him, but he's got to get that curveball worked out. It seems like he wants to lean on it a lot more this year, but it isn't consistent enough.

The offense is what it is. We're going to hear about situational hitting soon, but that isn't a real thing, so it's not worth talking about. Davis should help some--I don't expect the PTBNL to be much. Davis is going to be like another Pedro, and he'll make that part of the order pretty susceptible to LHP, but it's not like the people he is replacing are good, except Sanchez vs LHP.

We definitely have to win one of the next two, and no one, myself included, has confidence in Wandy right now. It would be great to somehow squeak that game out and give ourselves a chance to start the homestand 3/4, but we'll see. 2-2 is not the end of the world. I think it's still more important to beat on the Cards and Reds. I'm not a believe in the Brewers at all. The bullpen sucks, and their starting pitching is an injury away from being pretty mediocre, but I guess that's a bit unfair. Mainly, I'd just be pretty surprised if they are still near the top of the division in July. We need to keep treading water at worst, and keep our nose to the grind.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is purely my speculation, but I'm thinking it's going to be someone like JaCoby Jones...which is a hefty cost, but not outrageous by any stretch (and a guy who's best fit is the outfield). Either him or one of our early round pitchers. If it is indeed a 2013 draft pick that gets dealt here then as long as it's not one of our first rounders, which it obviously won't be, then I really don't have an issue with it...we're so near the draft that it's too difficult to tell who's legit and who isn't from the second round on. Jones is a guy with a pretty good ceiling, but a fairly low floor. He profiles best as an outfielder, but the Mets may well like him as a short stop, a bigger organizational weakness there than it is here even.

Davis profiles to be a great fit, but a lot of his problems are mental right now. Getting out of New York should help him a lot, going to PNC Park will help (power left-handed bat), sitting against lefties will help (career .828 OPS against righties and .598 against lefties...with Gaby's .900 OPS against lefties that creates a damn fine platoon). His numbers away from Citi were higher than at home, too.

This is one of those trades that could legitimately end up lopsided for either team...if Davis repeats 2013 then his career is essentially over, he'd be relegated to AL bottom-tier DH/back-up 1B status, but he has the talent to be a Pedro-type batter at first. He just turned 27, so he's far from a reclamation project as a power hitter.

My expectations are tempered...I'm seeing ~20-24 home runs from Davis and a .750 OPS...which will be a modest, but notable, upgrade from Jones last year. I never checked what his splits were before, I knew he was better against righties than lefties, but I never realized just how often he was facing lefties in New York.

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
Good news is polanco continues to tear it up. 3 hits today. I read somewhere a few days ago that he only has had something like 6 or 7 swinging strikes so far this season.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Where will Polanco hit when he's called up? Obviously he'll have to earn his spot, but when he does-what are we thinking the lineup will look like? Probably:

Polanco
Marte
Cutch
Alvarez
Davis/Gaby
Walker
Martin
Mercer

With probably Martin and Walker flipping when a lefty is pitching as opposed to a righty. Or will Clint leave Marte at the top of the order?

Also, do you keep Tabata over Snider since Polanco is a lefty, or do you keep Snider on the bench in order to get at least one lefty bat on your bench? Would any team take Tabata's remaining contract in a trade?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm thinking Polanco slots into #2 when he's called up, since we really don't have a standard #2 hitter on the roster as it stands and Hurdle didn't balk at putting Marte right into the #1 spot. When or if those two switch spots is something that will evolve...Marte is the better base-runner as it stands, but Polanco is probably not going to strike out every third at bat on his best day.

FWIW, despite Marte leading the league with 26 strikeouts early and hosting a mediocre .259 batting average, he's still posting a .359 OBP, which is completely fine as a leadoff batter. The strikeouts are a problem, but he's walking more and he's always going to get hit.

On a similar note, Cutch & Pedro have walked a combined 25 times already this year. Getting some protection in the line-up is a necessity...hopefully Ike can be that.

tumblr_lo86frQd5v1qmn7mjo1_500.gif

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The Ike Davis trade is either a draw or a win for us. I can't see the PTBNL being anything other that a fringe top 20 guy and probably someone from round 3 or later in the 2013 draft class. Huntington is not going to trade away a top prospect, at least not for Ike Davis.

Even if Davis flames, i don't see any of the pieces we could give up as being essential to our future.

Polanco is in absolute beast mode right now (knock on wood). It's tough because you can't bring him up until June due to the Super 2, and i hope that when May/June rolls around he hasn't slumped. Hopefully he's still hot when they do decide to pull the trigger and call him up.

As for the lineup. GP needs to start in the 2 hole. We need a left handed bat to separate Marte and Cutch. It's a tough 1st assignment but given that Polanco has always been a patient hitter and has had low K numbers, i think it really is the perfect fit. He has tremendous speed, will take a walk, but also rarely strikes out, which is what you need from the 2 hitter.

1. Marte
2. Polanco
3. Cutch
4. Pedro (his horrendous BA will start to look bad if it stays where it is through the end of the month. Power is nice, but he needs to be in the .220's at least)
5. Martin (RH bat to break up Pedro/Davis low BA/high K). Plus he's hitting real well right now)
6. Davis (we face a lot of RH pitching, so i would think he'll get a crack at the bulk of time at 1b)
7. Walker
8. Mercer
9. Pitcher

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The big issue right now is not even the hitting. It's the crappy outings from our starters (sans Volquez).

Cole ERA/WHIP 4.74/1.42
Liriano 3.96/1.24
Rodriguez 7.31/1.56
Morton 4.32/1.32

That right there is why we're 8-9. I didn't expect Liriano to keep the numbers from last year and honestly if he's in the high 3's/low 4's i wouldn't be THAT upset. Obviously we need better from Cole. Wandy won't be in the rotation a month from now. I've called that for 2 starts now. Morton is up and down.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The big issue right now is not even the hitting. It's the crappy outings from our starters (sans Volquez).

Cole ERA/WHIP 4.74/1.42
Liriano 3.96/1.24
Rodriguez 7.31/1.56
Morton 4.32/1.32

That right there is why we're 8-9. I didn't expect Liriano to keep the numbers from last year and honestly if he's in the high 3's/low 4's i wouldn't be THAT upset. Obviously we need better from Cole. Wandy won't be in the rotation a month from now. I've called that for 2 starts now. Morton is up and down.

I really want to see Liriano pick it up, if Liriano can pitch close to how he was pitching last year and the pirates are out of it at the trade deadline Liriano could get you a good prospect in return.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
What's with Tony Watson, is he hurt or something? This guy hasn't pitched in what feels like forever? I thought he was your guys set-up man.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Davis in the lineup tonight batting 6th, sucks that the pens are on at the same time as the bucs, would of liked to watch tonight's game.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Davis in the lineup tonight batting 6th, sucks that the pens are on at the same time as the bucs, would of liked to watch tonight's game.

So no Buc's game on TV tonight??

I was hoping to go back and forth between the two games.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Jesus....Wandy gets even worse. ERA now over 8. Gotta pull him from the rotation Clint. Ike Davis with a double and run score in his 1st AB. Our rotation is a mess right now.

Glad the Pens are winning (knock on wood).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad