OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Offseason at the Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Over/under on how long #TuloWatch lasts? The reportedly positive workout coupled with a large number of teams in attendance seems to muddy things a bit, but I'm going to stake a gamble that it will be resolved by tomorrow afternoon, with Tulo being a Pirate. I just don't see the starting SS option elsewhere, and while he could vacillate and move to 2B for Oakland, my gut still says as long as the Pirates are willing to move forward, he'll jump on the opportunity.

If it's not resolved by Thursday or a few days after, then who really knows, but I'd suspect we would move on to prioritizing Galvis or Owens. The plan is clearly not to go into the season with only Newman/Gonzalez.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The west coast workout scares me a bit, but I still agree that the Pirates probably represent the best chance for him to accumulate 500+ PAs while being able to show he can stick at SS right out of the box. Plug and play essentially.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the A's slide in. I would think being able to use the DH once or twice a week, or whenever needed, would be beneficial to Tulo. Semien does pose a bit of a sticking point, but I wonder if the A's would approach him to make a switch to 2B (where he's been very good in ~30 games). The A's are a playoff team and have some pretty solid hitters to put around him, so any slow start or slump might be less visible, whereas the same on the Pirates could be highlighted more so since he'd be the major focal point/engine of the lineup.

Not to mention he's a LBS Dirtbag and Santa Clara born and raised, which is less than an hour away from Oakland Coliseum, which might be a bigger personal connection than Hurdle.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
38 million from the Blue Jays, but these players still try and get the most they can get.

He would have to get a 2 yr deal in excess of $38m total to get more money. There's literally no way for him to get extra money besides getting a $39m+ contract or picking up a 2nd job.

I get you're an avid Nutting/Pirate basher, but please keep it fact based.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah, money isn't an issue with MLB buyouts. Whatever he signs for just comes out of the Jay's payment, if I'm remembering correctly.

If that's the case then i'm wrong.

But that kind of seems like a weird rule.

Tulo should just accept the minimum if that's the case.

He wouldn't have any motivation to get any money from this contract which just seems weird to me.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that any money he makes (including incentives) would just be being paid from the new team, rather than the Jays. So in any scenario, he's going to sign for the veteran minimum. I'm not absolutely sure about incentives, and that could be a difference-maker, but I do think it basically comes down to playing time as well as playing SS vs 2B or 3B.

It sounds like he won't be a utility player at all, so the only relevant teams would be those who can offer him the inside track on an infield starting position. Oakland definitely concerns me a bit, but Tulo was pretty consistent about SS until only recently, so I think we're still the logical fit. It makes a whole lot of sense for Oakland, and the DH option also could factor in here. I'm also not certain about the relationship with Hurdle. My memory is hazy, but I've read things like Hurdle benched him for an extended amount of time towards the end, and that he was one of the main players who was leading the charge to see him go. But, that was a long ass time ago, and they won a WS together, so hard to be sure.

I do think that timing might be important. From Tulo's perspective, he wants assurances that he can be a starter. Only us and Oakland seem to fit that bill by my counting. From Oakland's perspective, they have to make a decision about what to do at 2B, and Tulo represents an equally good gamble, but maybe they want more of a sure thing. From our perspective, this is also maybe not a sure enough thing, but it absolutely frees up whatever peanuts are remaining to sign a LHP reliever and/or Anibal Sanchez, and I think the timing is doubly important because addressing SS is clearly the top priority. So if Hurdle reached out and Tulo's receptive, I'm thinking it's just a matter of another day or two. If things aren't as straightforward, then I doubt we'll linger long.

Reactions: cheesedanish87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Kluber's salary makes any pining for him a moot point (he's owed 52.5 million over the next 3 seasons), but just for kicks while we pine for Tulo, he'd certainly be a great acquisition. A rotation of Kluber-Taillon-Archer would firmly stabilize us as contenders for the next three seasons. Without really digging further, I'd guess his surplus wouldn't be quite good enough to demand the moon, but it might still take something a bit uncomfortable like Keller + Cruz + a lower minors prospect.

As a sidenote, there are obviously good reasons to be worried about the Archer trade now that it's over, but unless he craters, he's still a good financial investment and has the potential to be a crazy bargain. I say this on the heels of Matt Harvey getting 11 million next year.

Kluber going to the Reds would really make the division a struggle, but I think from our perspective, the division getting a bit better bodes well, since then there's a straight line from doing extremely well in the division to the playoffs. That's a tall order, and I guess there are other reasons to be worried about the other NL fringe teams starting to lap us, but if the Reds are good enough to shave wins off the Brewers, Cubs, and Cards, it makes the overall win total to win the division less likely to be out of reach, which is all the sustained mediocrity of our strategy allows us at this point.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't get what Cleveland is thinking.

Their division is so awful, keep your players and you have a great chance to win the division.

Eventually those rebuilding teams in the AL central will get better and you wouldn't have this opportunity forever.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Reds are currently sitting at $68-$69m in 2019 salary. They ended last year with $82m in active salary and $100m in total commitments.

To compare, Pirates are sitting on $47m for 2019 and ended last year with $67m active and $91m total.

Not to step on DJ's toes... I was already looking at Spotrac

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Reds payroll is around 100 million, I believe, thanks in no large part to Homer Bailey's albatross. They are clearly moving strongly on a starter, and although Kluber is way better than Keuchel in my opinion, it might make more sense for them to keep guys like Senzel and Trammell, one of whom it would take to get Kluber.

Kluber wouldn't put the payroll into astronomical standards. The Pirates have a reasonable amount of cost certainty already built into the team with guys on guaranteed contracts, and arbitration can't go totally haywire on you in the span of two or three years, which is basically what our window is. There's really no reason to mince words: not only has Nutting been unwilling to flip a few extra switches for a push when the team is hot, but he's also generally been unwilling to actually keep the payroll around 100ish million.

Without looking, I would guess Kluber's 17 million would put us somewhere around 95 million for next year. Moving Cervelli could obviously cut that further, and he'd be off the payroll next year in any case. Dumping Nova's salary and then making the bold move to get Kluber for a difference of 7 million would be exactly the kind of deal that would bolster our chances decisively, and exactly the kind of big move that should follow the aggressiveness to get Archer and Kela. We'd have locked in contracts until 2021, and depending on how things shake out with certain players, injuries, and so on, perhaps even a chip or two to move via a future trade to avoid a full teardown in 2021/2 (in my opinion we should just go as reckless as possible and do the teardown then, but because Keller, Tucker, and Hayes are all close enough to contribute in this window, not be totally reckless with them).

I get the criticisms of Cleveland, especially on the financial end, but from their perspective it's also wise small market strategy. Trading Kluber doesn't take them out of the playoffs, though they would be weaker in the playoffs. Their top prospect is a pitcher, and Bieber has emerged as a great mid-rotation piece on top of Carrasco and one more year of Bauer. If they can get a blue chip prospect, then they recycle their talent and keep moving. They have a serious upper hand on their division if they keep playing their cards right. However, Trammell is still a bit far away to help Cleveland right now. But if they could move Kluber for very good value, and then say reallocate that money towards signing AJ Pollock, it could be a win win.

And Cleveland at least sometimes operates in that manner, unlike for us, when a salary dump is just a salary dump.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I don't know if it's ownership or Huntington or what, but the recent moves (all moves since the last WC appearance) seem to indicate that the Pirates will do whatever they can to avoid a total tear down rebuild, for some reason.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah I think it's of a piece with the aiming for mediocrity approach. Over 162 game seasons, I don't have as huge a problem of it as some do, and while the playoffs are definitely partially a crapshoot, what I really don't see is the strategy we have to press if we did make it into a playoff series. That's also why I think it's probably dumb for the Indians to move Kluber, and definitely dumb for the Mets to move Thor. If you can get into a playoff series and have elite pitchers who are on their game, you can do a lot of damage.

We possibly have a chance for that, including on the bullpen end, especially if Diekman performed very well and we had a group of 4-5 lights out options.

As the hours drip by, I'm assuming the worst re: Tulo. As in, the Cubs cutting Russell and signing him worst.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, he should go bye bye even regardless of this situation.

BTW, is your avatar from Grim Fandango? I never played it back in the day, but I got a PS4 recently after probably 10 years of not gaming. I just picked it up for 5 bucks in a sale on the PSN store.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Stop wasting time and just sign him. No risk high reward. Adding a big name would help with ticket sales as well so dont know why they wouldn't be all over it. If he can stay healthy he can have a season weve recently seen from guys like Cabrera, Lowrie, etc who had to prove they can come back. Add that to Kang bouncing back and our offense could be enough to compete considering our pitching.

Season relies on them mainly, if they can match(or close to) what they did after the deadline we should be competing for the division. Shouldnt see any big losing streaks. Winning most series'. This season could look like one of our playoff years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad