Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3542.jpeg

He was asked if a sale to TD could happen but says the owner wants the team to remain in the Chicago area and thinks the Canes may want to be closer to home.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
View attachment 864191

He was asked if a sale to TD could happen but says the owner wants the team to remain in the Chicago area and thinks the Canes may want to be closer to home.
Very encouraging. Total control ain't much different than TD owning a team. Still think we'll eventually get an affiliate we own that is closer to home but this isn't bad in the meantime as that is easier said than done.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
View attachment 864191

Interesting about a sale. I would think having an AHL team in Chicago would be much better than having one in “wherever” Carolina: easier access to commercial aviation, huge market, much lower transportation costs for the team to away games, bigger draw to AHL free-agents, etc. If the Wolves were for sale and I were Dundon, I’d do that even if they asked/stipulated the team has to stay in Chicago. Plus, the fact Chicago has a big Russian speaking community doesn’t hurt given the make up of our prospect pool.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Interesting about a sale. I would think having an AHL team in Chicago would be much better than having one in “wherever” Carolina: easier access to commercial aviation, huge market, much lower transportation costs for the team to away games, bigger draw to AHL free-agents, etc. If the Wolves were for sale and I were Dundon, I’d do that even if they asked/stipulated the team has to stay in Chicago. Plus, the fact Chicago has a big Russian speaking community doesn’t hurt given the make up of our prospect pool.
They did say closer to home. Not necessarily in NC. Baltimore seems to be the place. Close enough to us and the competition.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They did say closer to home. Not necessarily in NC. Baltimore seems to be the place. Close enough to us and the competition.
Ok, that’s fair.

That said, why would they prefer Baltimore to Chicago? Other than being able to have a prospect drive from the AHL affiliate to Raleigh, I can’t think of any reason to prefer building something new in Baltimore vs having a dedicated fan base in Chicago.

Now there has got to be a good crime rate joke comparison here, but I’m already on my second drink of the evening and it’s not coming to me.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Ok, that’s fair.

That said, why would they prefer Baltimore to Chicago? Other than being able to have a prospect drive from the AHL affiliate to Raleigh, I can’t think of any reason to prefer building something new in Baltimore vs having a dedicated fan base in Chicago.

Now there has got to be a good crime rate joke comparison here, but I’m already on my second drink of the evening and it’s not coming to me.
Just making assumptions here:

Baltimore doesn’t have hockey and maybe some would spend their money locally instead of trying to get into DC.

Baltimore is 5 hours away , Chicago is 12.

Baltimore and the teams on its schedule would be very close to our division foes. Making it easier if an emergency call up is needed on the road.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oh man the finding out stage seems to be more thorough than we thought.

Ousting the GM to put our own guys in place? The Wolves owners possibly selling to Dundon?

After the way the Wolves went on the offensive when the affiliation split up last year, this is kind of shocking. I guess this past season was more damaging to their finances than we believed.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Oh man the finding out stage seems to be more thorough than we thought.

Ousting the GM to put our own guys in place? The Wolves owners possibly selling to Dundon?

After the way the Wolves went on the offensive when the affiliation split up last year, this is kind of shocking. I guess this past season was more damaging to their finances than we believed.
Zero affiliation fees and no playoff gate is a lot of lost revenue from previous seasons.

Add in no parent team to help with the veteran contracts or provide “free” prospects and it’s a recipe for a bleeding ledger.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Well, he’s out as GM to get promoted.

Remember, we didn't fire Francis as GM, we promoted him to an empty office and then he quit.

Promoting somebody to a non-hockey role is certainly a way to soften the blow for somebody financially and for PR purposes, but don't mistake it for an actual increase in power and responsibility.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Forwards:
On contract: nadeau, blake, gunler, FUS, robidas, Jaaska, Trikizov
Options to sign: Guslistov and Mercuri
Older RFAs: Suzuki, Comtois, Tieksola, Murray

Defense
On contract: morrow, seeley, fensmore, heimosalmi, Honka
Option to sign: Montgomery
Older RFAs: coghlan, smith, Mendel

Goalies
Perets, Martin, Khazheyev

Needs

Forwards: 2-4 veteran AHL guys who would be first line call ups. The number will depend on how many of the older RFAs we keep, if Guslistov is coming over, and how many make the NHL squad. I would assume we sign at least one other guy to an AHL deal for depth in case of injuries. The signings will likely be 2 centers and possibly a winger. We have a lot of wingers in the system. Suzuki and Robidas are the only centers right now. FUS and Guslistov are possible centers.

Nadeau-Suzuki-FUS
Trikizov-UFA-Blake
Comtois-Robidas-Jaaska
Gunler-Ufa-Guslistov

Maybe one makes the roster and that shuffles things around

Defense: I’ll assume morrow makes the big squad. We need 2 defensive defenders. All of our guys on contract are offensive focused. Mendel and Montgomery are options to fill those spots. I don’t know that either are serious call up candidates. We’ll have to make decisions on Smith, Coghlan and honka. They are all redundant with Fensmore, Seeley, and Heimosalmi on contract. Get 1 defensive lefty to start and another to play backup.

Mendel-Coghlan/Honka
Seeley-Heimosalmi
UFA-Fensmore

Pretty exciting stuff

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Just making assumptions here:

Baltimore doesn’t have hockey and maybe some would spend their money locally instead of trying to get into DC.

Baltimore is 5 hours away , Chicago is 12.

Baltimore and the teams on its schedule would be very close to our division foes. Making it easier if an emergency call up is needed on the road.
What about Atlanta? Major Hub, direct flights to Raleigh, and with Baltimore one has to fly out of DC

Just a thought since we are speculating relocation of the Wolves

Reactions: hockeynjune

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What about Atlanta? Major Hub, direct flights to Raleigh, and with Baltimore one has to fly out of DC

Just a thought since we are speculating relocation of the Wolves
Atlanta has many of the same travel challenges as Charlotte with a further distance from the parent club. I don’t see any advantage to moving from Chicago to Atlanta.

Baltimore at least can bus to some AHL games.

In terms of airports, BWI is much closer to Baltimore than Washington and you can get many places from there.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
The only direct flight from BWI to RDU is southwest and the fly 4 to six times daily. ATL has Delta, Southwest and Frontier that fly directly to RDU, A Total of 11 to 13 daily flights.

Not saying Baltimore is a bad place to be, but I think Atlanta could be an option too

Reactions: hockeynjune

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad