OT: Raiders news, notes

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Does anyone else remember in high school you could flood the bathroom by flushing more than two urinals at once?
No? Ahhhhhh, Clark.....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Miami, Baltimore win to get to 9-5. In day wins to get to 10-4.

Cleveland leading Giants at the half by 10.

Their playoffs hang by a thread.

I’d play Mariotta for the next 2 hoping to build up demand if he plays well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raiders season is done, but it was over after the ATL game.

Man alive, this team has issues. Game winning throw, for some reason their rookie 1st rounder Arnette jams his guy but doesn't follow him up the field. He remains in the flat, to do what guard against a dump off to the RB? The LB Singleton would have that responsibility. That's simply poor coaching and or a player with low football IQ.

But, the Raiders have issues that they need to resolve.

1) Red Zone offence. How many sub 30 yard FG has Carlson made this year? Too many. They need better play calling and execution in the red zone. A pair of 1st and goal opportunities resulted in FG attempts. When Carr drops back you know if he doesn't release it quickly, they aren't scoring. And their quick throws, they've done roll outs the past 2 games and the play wasn't there for them. Add in the running game can't get them the 5 yards to get to the goal line. How many receivers have caught a TD on a goal to goal situation this season? Need a big body WR.
2) OL, Miller has regressed without Incognito this season. Getting beat, by his guy who ends up making plays on running calls. He doesn't need to blow his man up, just need to get in the way, but he's getting cleanly beat and the DE is able to make the play from the outside. Not acceptable.
3) No pass rush. Need an Edge rusher
4) DT, need to get some penetration
5) Secondary - need to cover better
6) Clock management. Calling a running play with 1 TO left at the 20? In FG range, so the goal has to be to try to get a TD, not make it a sub 30 yard FG attempt.
7) Coaching - impacts a lot of the above. That play call on 3rd down to Renfrow, what was that design? With #Agholar to his left, the only way that play makes sense is if Agholar runs a fade to the back pylon so that his CB has to go with him and vacate the flat at the goal line. That leaves room for Renfrow to continue towards the sidelines rather than stop up, which gave his CB a chance to make the tackle. An accurate pass in front of Renfrow allows him the chance to turn up field and reach for the goal line. A decade of watching football and being an offensive mind, some of the play calls by Gruden leave much to be desired. And the Defense, needs help.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
7 more years. 7 more years on that Gruden contract. Mad.
Disappointed in that after a decade of watching and analyzing football he hasn’t been that creative. Expected more from him on the offensive side of the ball.

he needs to revamp his coaching staff. How Arnette doesn’t follow his guy up the field is inexcusable. Either he wasn’t told which is coaching or he didn’t execute the play cause he peaked back at the QB.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Disappointed in that after a decade of watching and analyzing football he hasn’t been that creative. Expected more from him on the offensive side of the ball.

he needs to revamp his coaching staff. How Arnette doesn’t follow his guy up the field is inexcusable. Either he wasn’t told which is coaching or he didn’t execute the play cause he peaked back at the QB.
If Mark Davis was actually rich and had money to spare it wouldn't be so bad.

He can't fire him because he doesn't have the cash.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm still learning the technical aspects of football. (And the last time I watched with any regularity was more than a quarter of a century ago. Some things have changed.)

Some generalities....

Lots of injuries. That needs to be looked at if specific training regimes can help prevent some injuries. I don't know what investments the team has made on rehabbing injuries, but that might be able to be improved.
Loss of players to COVID. And a related issue of the pervasive worry of the disease the entire season.
A number of guys opted out (I wasn't paying attention as to who did/didn't for the Raiders). That shouldn't be an impact next season.
Lack of fans - teams usually play off fans (either supported by home fans or working off "hate" of fans on the road). That should help.

Sometimes it seemed like play was the "safe" option rather than taking some risks. (See Miami's faux punt that resulted in a first down) Definitely need to improve offense. I think the "hail Mary" pass on Saturday was the first one I have seen the Raiders do in a while.
A number of incomplete passes. How much due to lack of training/workouts (cut short because of health concerns)?
The first few games of the season went pretty well, but there were defensive issues through season that resulted in DC being fired.
Too much dependence on players that missed due to injury, covid?
A bit concerned that kicker missed extra point yesterday on relatively straight kick.

I haven't even studied the team cap situation to know which players have good performance/salary, and who is over paid, etc.

IIRC, pundits stating that neither Carr nor backup QB are signed for next season. Uncertainty may have been a factor.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carr and Mariota have contracts for next season, just that they don't have any large guaranteed money moving forward. If LV cut Carr, it would only count $2.5 mill in dead cap space next season.

Covid - Raiders one of the teams who were in the higher end of Covid cases. Baltimore had a lot too and they are considered a buttoned up run team compared to LV.

Injuries - they do happen, so LV can always look into the causes behind them.

Kicker - not many truly reliable ones aside from Tucker from Baltimore. Just have to make enough of them and or not miss critical ones.

I had a strong suspicsion that Miami would do a fake punt on 4th and 1 from mid field range. Should have been ready for it.

Gruden plays it too safe in terms of his deep red zone offence. Can't run it in from the 5 not does it seem like anyone can get uncovered if it's a drop back pass. Plus, I don't understand how they designed that play that went to Renfrow. You can't be expected him to break a tackle when he comes to a full stop to catch the ball at the 2. It needs to be designed to allow him to keep moving to have momentum to get to the end zone.

They need to get better on the DL. No enough pressure to help the secondary.

And they need to upgrade the coaching. Defensively, not good enough at all levels. At OL, Miller isn't developing. Jackson/Hudson have made pro bowls, but Miller is getting beat off the snap even when the play isn't running behind him, so all he needed to do is to keep in front of his guy and keep him neutral. But, he loses right away and or gets pushed back. Can't have that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Carr and Mariota have contracts for next season, just that they don't have any large guaranteed money moving forward. If LV cut Carr, it would only count $2.5 mill in dead cap space next season.

Covid - Raiders one of the teams who were in the higher end of Covid cases. Baltimore had a lot too and they are considered a buttoned up run team compared to LV.

Injuries - they do happen, so LV can always look into the causes behind them.

Kicker - not many truly reliable ones aside from Tucker from Baltimore. Just have to make enough of them and or not miss critical ones.

I had a strong suspicsion that Miami would do a fake punt on 4th and 1 from mid field range. Should have been ready for it.

Gruden plays it too safe in terms of his deep red zone offence. Can't run it in from the 5 not does it seem like anyone can get uncovered if it's a drop back pass. Plus, I don't understand how they designed that play that went to Renfrow. You can't be expected him to break a tackle when he comes to a full stop to catch the ball at the 2. It needs to be designed to allow him to keep moving to have momentum to get to the end zone.

They need to get better on the DL. No enough pressure to help the secondary.

And they need to upgrade the coaching. Defensively, not good enough at all levels. At OL, Miller isn't developing. Jackson/Hudson have made pro bowls, but Miller is getting beat off the snap even when the play isn't running behind him, so all he needed to do is to keep in front of his guy and keep him neutral. But, he loses right away and or gets pushed back. Can't have that.

I think Carr did enough to earn another season. He proved to me at least that he can be a good enough quarterback to lead a team, as long as the team has a good defense. But that's true of every good quarterback besides a handful that aren't available. He's better than Mariota and probably whoever else would be an option for us.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
7 more years. 7 more years on that Gruden contract. Mad.

Even Belichik didn't get that kind of term. The annual amount yeah he beats Gruden and he should. Only the Raiders could have done this stupid contract. Good luck to fans of them. I've postponed leaving the buccaneers as long as they have this roster in hopes of at least one more win before supporting local sports. I was hoping for an MLB team for ages and after the nats winning the title last year I can also move on from that franchise as I hate the fanbase with a passion. If the raiders tanked this season they would have landed themselves a generational talent at qb, but it wasn't to be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even Belichik didn't get that kind of term. The annual amount yeah he beats Gruden and he should. Only the Raiders could have done this stupid contract. Good luck to fans of them. I've postponed leaving the buccaneers as long as they have this roster in hopes of at least one more win before supporting local sports. I was hoping for an MLB team for ages and after the nats winning the title last year I can also move on from that franchise as I hate the fanbase with a passion. If the raiders tanked this season they would have landed themselves a generational talent at qb, but it wasn't to be.
No way they would have not won a game as SOS the Jags had it all the way.

making the PO only gets more difficult.

KC and LAC are tough divisional opponents. Buffalo, Tenn, Indy has a good roster but lack a qb, Cleveland and Baltimore. Pitt so long as Ben is around. Miami if Tua can push the ball more than he has shown.
But PO have to be the goal and expectation for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad