Raffi Torres Update

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I would love nothing more than to see Raffi come back effective as ever, play a full season, and win a Masterton Trophy

Imagine the response

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If Torres comes back healthy (I think the chances are quite slim), and Goldobin proves to be a viable fit in the top 9 (50-50 IMO), things start to look mighty crowded.

Top 6: Marleau, Thornton, Pavs, Couture, Hertl (5)
Middle 6: Nieto, Wingels, Karlsson, Goldobin (4)
Bottom 6: Goodrow, Tierney, Smith, Torres (4)
13th-16th: Burish, Brown, Scott, Tarasov, McCarthy

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
Seen his name in a few other threads, and there hasn't been an update on him in some time. Did a quick Google search, and this was under his CBS sports profile.

"Sharks' Torres Expected Back For Camp

(6/23/15) Sharks GM Doug Wilson said he expects Raffi Torres (knee) to be back for the start of training camp, NHL.com's Eric Gilmore reports. "it looks good for [Torres] to be back in September," Wilson said. "He's progressing really well."

That's great news, but unfortunately after all the setbacks and silence on his status...I'll believe it when I see it. Hoping for the best, because adding him back into the mix (if he's truly healthy) is a game changer for us, for both his presence, and how it affects the Forwards depth.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
He's training in Toronto. Expected back for camp.

I certainly would not pencil him in your lineups for the season opener.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
That's okay. We only need him for the playoffs.

Welcome back, Raffi !

I can easily see DW play the LTIR game with Torres if need be. The guy's been out so long which Dr. would ever say Torres is in the clear medically that he'd be required to come off LTIR.

If DW makes another move that puts us close to the cap, I can see this happening.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
I certainly would not pencil him in your lineups for the season opener.

I'm not penciling him in the lineup for the entire season the way this recovery & surgeries have gone. I'll believe it, when he actually laces them up for a game...and then it's about is he really back, or are we dealing with a shell of his former self?

I want this guy back in there, and of course at 100%, but I'm not optimistic about both of those things happening in '15/'16 that at all.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Can't quite follow it in this thread. Did he replace the ACL again (and when)?

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
From townhall event, DW says Torres progressing well. Skated for first time a couple of days ago. Didn't sound 100% confident he'll be back next year, but overall seemed pleased with progress.

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
Knee replacements take about a year to fully recover, think NaVarro Bowman. His surgery was in late Jan/Feb and missed the entire year last season. I didn't look back in this thread far enough to remember when Torres' surgery took place but you can mark 365 days from when it did until when he will truly be 100%.

Reefer

Mar 25, 2013
San Jose
I saw Raffi a few times in May, maybe it was early June (I think he lives near my work during the season) He always looked to be in great shape and said the knee feels good, but its not like he would say anything differently. I didn't notice any sort of limp, but honestly I think we all know not to expect anything from Torres this year.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Knee replacements take about a year to fully recover, think NaVarro Bowman. His surgery was in late Jan/Feb and missed the entire year last season. I didn't look back in this thread far enough to remember when Torres' surgery took place but you can mark 365 days from when it did until when he will truly be 100%.

I wouldn't expect anyone who has undergone two major "back-to-back" knee surgeries to be truly 100% ever again.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I thought the 1st stretch of missed games wasn't due to surgery. I thought they skipped the surgery just for a "cleaning" of the knee and were hoping it would heal/strengthen enough on its own, but it just never got to where it was needed so he could actually play full time.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I thought the 1st stretch of missed games wasn't due to surgery. I thought they skipped the surgery just for a "cleaning" of the knee and were hoping it would heal/strengthen enough on its own, but it just never got to where it was needed so he could actually play full time.

Doug said during the Town Hall that Raffi got an infection in the knee, which screwed up his recovery.

Siege

Jul 8, 2014
California
Thomas Davis and Frank Gore disagree.

ACL surgery varies a ton. Who had repairs and who had reconstructions? How many times for each knee? Among reconstructions, what's the patient's age, type of reconstruction (cadaver ACL vs patellar tendon graft), and age of said cadaver ACL (almost never tracked). There's no way to compare two athletes remotely accurately without a full medical history and knowledge of whose ACL the athlete received.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
ACL surgery varies a ton. Who had repairs and who had reconstructions? How many times for each knee? Among reconstructions, what's the patient's age, type of reconstruction (cadaver ACL vs patellar tendon graft), and age of said cadaver ACL (almost never tracked). There's no way to compare two athletes remotely accurately without a full medical history and knowledge of whose ACL the athlete received.

Thomas Davis tore his ACL 3 times in 3 years and was able to bounce back. From my understanding it's that Raffi was trying different ways to rehab and strengthen the knee last year but ultimately had it repaired in Feb. (Ironically right after the Sharks epic slide). I am cautiously optimistic we will see him back this year.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thomas Davis tore his ACL 3 times in 3 years and was able to bounce back. From my understanding it's that Raffi was trying different ways to rehab and strengthen the knee last year but ultimately had it repaired in Feb. (Ironically right after the Sharks epic slide). I am cautiously optimistic we will see him back this year.

Yeah the one major thing that has slowed torres recovery is that he for the most part was avoiding major surgery at all costs.

He has now done the full surgery to fix the probkem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad