Raffi Torres Update

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Such as who?

Says many - like the media down to us reading between the lines. The guy hasn't played in almost 2+ seasons and doesn't show any signs of coming back. In short, he's either done or will be a Malhotra story in that he'll never be the same again.

Sad really, because he would have made our lines that much more complete this year. We needed someone who hit hard and put fear into another team. Ironic that when we finally get this player he gets injured. I was at that preseason game - that moment upsets me so much.... finally sign a player we've been needing for a long time and then boom it's over.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A little too little too late. Torres would have been useful last year and this year to make us competitive enough for a good playoff run. Even if (big fat ****ing if) he comes back at 100% next year it will be too late for us given the direction the team is currently heading in.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
A little too little too late. Torres would have been useful last year and this year to make us competitive enough for a good playoff run. Even if (big fat ****ing if) he comes back at 100% next year it will be too late for us given the direction the team is currently heading in.

Exactly, I understand nobody wants to go through surgery and doing it is never a 100% guarantee. But it definately has more of a chance of coming back then just waiting it out (which is what the sharks did wasting an entire season doing so)

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Exactly, I understand nobody wants to go through surgery and doing it is never a 100% guarantee. But it definately has more of a chance of coming back then just waiting it out (which is what the sharks did wasting an entire season doing so)

He was not coming back this year if he had another surgery. His knee was infected and they had to wait for a while anyways. They hoped he could skate with a brace, which obviously didn't work out, but he wouldn't have been back this year period due in no way by decisions made by the Sharks.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He was not coming back this year if he had another surgery. His knee was infected and they had to wait for a while anyways. They hoped he could skate with a brace, which obviously didn't work out, but he wouldn't have been back this year period due in no way by decisions made by the Sharks.

They were talking about surgery 2-3 months ago. But were just waiting it out hoping that he could get to the point that he could go without it till the offseason where they would do the surgery any ways. I still say the sharks should of just did the surgery the moment the infection was gone. That way if the sharks had made the playoffs, you never know that extra little spark that torres brings to the team could of propelled the sharks a bit farther into the playoffs then they did without him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
They were talking about surgery 2-3 months ago. But were just waiting it out hoping that he could get to the point that he could go without it till the offseason where they would do the surgery any ways. I still say the sharks should of just did the surgery the moment the infection was gone. That way if the sharks had made the playoffs, you never know that extra little spark that torres brings to the team could of propelled the sharks a bit farther into the playoffs then they did without him.

Yea, the surgery was gonna have to happen sooner or later. Probably should've done it earlier just so he could get offseason training done but if the expectation was that he may get to play again this year, he might have pushed himself too hard, too early again and could've ended up risking complications.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Yea, the surgery was gonna have to happen sooner or later. Probably should've done it earlier just so he could get offseason training done but if the expectation was that he may get to play again this year, he might have pushed himself too hard, too early again and could've ended up risking complications.

This was the earliest time since he had to make sure the infection was 100% gone and wouldn't come back.

znrch

Too real.
Apr 3, 2013
Central CA
Anyone in the market for a Torres jersey? :laugh::cry:

very nearly bought one myself when he started playing because I just loved his energy. Seemed to jumpstart the team completely. Kinda glad I didnt now, but if he ever makes it back and plays for an amount of time that leaves an impact on the team then i'll be back in the market. :D

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
[nhl]777444[/nhl]

Hey Docs - just give Raffi some teerminator legs!

And all should be good.

RIP_leg.jpg

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
I seem to remember Michalek's first ACL cadaver tissue procedure failed due to infection? By no means is Raffi 'out of the woods' just because it's surgery #2, in my opinion.

Mostly, I cry for the all the salaries that could've been better utilized. But that's not Raffi's fault.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I seem to remember Michalek's first ACL cadaver tissue procedure failed due to infection? By no means is Raffi 'out of the woods' just because it's surgery #2, in my opinion.

Mostly, I cry for the all the salaries that could've been better utilized. But that's not Raffi's fault.

With torres on the shelf injured the sharks still had 5+ million in cap space. If wilson wanted to do something he had the room to do it, he just didn't want to.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With torres on the shelf injured the sharks still had 5+ million in cap space. If wilson wanted to do something he had the room to do it, he just didn't want to.

This year, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Not last year though. Cap space was a real issue and a reason that may have prevented getting d-men but some of that was still self-inflicted.

znrch

Too real.
Apr 3, 2013
Central CA

I thought I read something about DW saying he'd make more moves in the summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad