Confirmed with Link: Radko Gudas traded to Washington for Matt Niskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reactions: Johnk0728

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think I’m upset but it’s more like apathy at this point really. We traded a 2nd pairing vet coming off a good year on an expiring deal for a 2nd pairing vet several years older coming off a bad one with one more year on his contract. I’d say Gudas is the better trade piece too.

I don’t like it but I’m mostly just wondering why. Even in an optimistic outcome this doesn’t really move the needle much at all.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not a guy that is rah rah about this stuff, but the Flyers D core also just got a lot more soft.

Gudas was one of the few on this team that brought that snarl.
Probably an indication that it will be addressed later.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Would have been nice if we could have just got Niskanen for Hagg instead of Gudas, but I guess Gudas being a UFA was a factor.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So I have to believe Fletch's thinking is...

Niskanen is the true vet influence they need (who will actually play, whereas McDonald may be gone/sitting) and losing Gudas removes a penalty magnet.

That's all I can feasibly see as a reason to do this deal because on the surface: we lost. for sure.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Shakey Graves

Jun 10, 2019
South Jersey
Why?? This makes no sense. Niskanen is 5.7/yr with two years remaining. Gudas was 3.35 with 1 year remaining. Plus the flyers retained 1/3 of Gudas’ salary. On top of that Niskanen has a NTC and is now our highest paid defenseman. How is this even remotely a smart move??

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
People saying we got a lot softer on D, Sam Morin may be back there.

I don’t count Morin though. Kid needs to show he is healthy and can handle a regular spot in the lineup.

Gudas also developed into a player that learned he can’t go batshit crazy. Nice balanced edge imo.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hagg averaged 15:08 at ES, 5th on the team.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...ter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evTimeOnIcePerGame

After Myers arrived, he dropped to #6. Only you and Dave Hakstol think he's a top 4 dman.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...ter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evTimeOnIcePerGame

He said if ice-time proved worth Hagg would be a top four D. If you don’t change the narrative by selectively isolating ES average TOI or a specific time frame and just look at total TOI, as he implied, Hagg has the fourth highest. I don’t see where he’s technically wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad