Confirmed with Link: Radko Gudas traded to Washington for Matt Niskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It is weird that we don't get pick compensation out of basically saving their bacon cap wise. I think the trade helps Washington more than it helps us

Par for the course. Fletch is proving that he is terrible at extracting correct value out of trades.

I never watch the Craps, so I am not going to moan about the actual player. I will assume he is garbage until proven otherwise :laugh:

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’m not a guy that is rah rah about this stuff, but the Flyers D core also just got a lot more soft.

Gudas was one of the few on this team that brought that snarl.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
the retention is dumb. Interested to see if these means MacDonald is getting bought out.
as much as i want him off the team. I would hope someone would take him at 50% and save us the extra cap next year. It is only like a 1mil difference this year if we burry him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At least he's a righty.

I guess they feel he can handle tougher matchups better than Gudas can?

Im not thrilled with this. Id have been fine acquiring Niskanen, but giving up Gudas makes it nearly a wash. Gudas 1 year until UFA and Niskanen 2, so thats a factor I guess.

They might think that... but he has a 0.3 higher ExGA/60 over the last 3 years than Gudas with the same zone starts and only marginally higher competition.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I've gotta be honest, i'm shocked at the reaction here. I got the notification for this trade, and my first thought was "oh god, the HF flyers board has gotta be pissed." And yet most of you guys seem to be more confused than outright upset.

I mean, as long as this means they're not trading their 1st round pick + Ghost for Trouba, then i'm okay with it. I'm extra okay with it if it means they buy out AMac. But i agree, retaining on Gudas doesn't make much sense.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The plan must be to lay Niskanen on the top pair with Provorov though, the team has never wanted to play Gudas on top pairing. Niskanen must have faced tougher matchups than Gudas the last couple years?

Similar zone starts, Niskanen has marginally harder QoC. But results offensively and defensively has been worse.

Here's hoping he rediscovers his form from 2013-17. Then the Flyers might "win" this one.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Seems like a sideways move, but I have to say "Matty" Niskanen has been a considerably better player than Gudas only until recently, so if a change of scenery helps him rediscover that, I'm happy

If.

It's a weird one

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Gudas is sure as hell not the defensemen we should be replacing.

We didn't upgrade or fill a need... we traded a 2nd pair RD for another one who's older.
Costs more and has an extra year, and were retaining salary

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess the upside here is Fletcher can now say "I went out and added a top 4 vet D", so long as he doesn't mention he did it by trading away a cheaper/better/younger one as well.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Niskanen played 18:36 a game at ES for the 4th best team in the league, but on the Flyers I guess he's only 2nd pairing material. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gudas is sure as hell not the defensemen we should be replacing.

We didn't upgrade or fill a need... we traded a 2nd pair RD for another one who's older.

The only way I really see the logic is if they *think* he can get his form back from 2013-17. Where he was a v.good #3 who could play #2 with right partner.

If that happens Flyers might "win" this.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Flyers need to upgrade their D. Flyers do upgrade their D, people act confused and/or complain about the move. The beat goes on :rolleyes:

Could you provide your view of "upgrade" with this deal, please? It doesn't seem as cut and dried as you are indicating. For full context, I'm on the fence myself with this deal.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Niskanen played 18:36 a game at ES for the 4th best team in the league, but on the Flyers I guess he's only 2nd pairing material. :laugh:
Yeah. Pretty sure he's going to be penciled in with Provorov.

You only make this move as the Flyers if you think you got an upgrade. At least Washington had some motivation to save cap-wise. Even if they think Gudas isn't as good, he's more valuable to them at his number.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The only way I really see the logic is if they *think* he can get his form back from 2013-17. Where he was a v.good #3 who could play #2 with right partner.

If that happens Flyers might "win" this.
AKA, not a smart move/bet.

Would've made more sense to add him for picks, while keeping Gudas, that way we ADD to the defense instead of just making a possibly detrimental swap. So much for "adding depth".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad