Confirmed with Link: Radko Gudas traded to Washington for Matt Niskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
At least he's a righty.

I guess they feel he can handle tougher matchups better than Gudas can?

Im not thrilled with this. Id have been fine acquiring Niskanen, but giving up Gudas makes it nearly a wash. Gudas 1 year until UFA and Niskanen 2, so thats a factor I guess.

None of this trade makes any sense....

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think he's a good D-man but this kind of a weird one. Gudas was so damn good last season. What the hell...

I can only think we did this because Fletch wanted a RHD that had some offensive pop in his game.

I don't think it's about offensive pop, it's about having a guy who has played on the top pairing for Washington for many years.

I have been a big Gudas fan ever since we traded for him, but he wasn't a guy you would expect to play 70+ games on a top pairing.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't think it's about offensive pop, it's about having a guy who has played on the top pairing for Washington for many years.

I have been a big Gudas fan ever since we traded for him, but he wasn't a guy you would expect to play 70+ games on a top pairing.

I mean, Gudas has outscored him 5v5 over the last 3 years...

Reactions: Fragmuffin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Odd move. In the division. Have to be betting on a rebound. 32 going on 33, you have to be pretty confident at his number. Niskanen wasn't good last year. He's more naturally skilled than Gudas and should help with zone exits, but is he more effective? Gudas is going into his walk year and I guess they had no intentions of re-upping him. But this looks like that veteran RHD they wanted to play with Provy, which means Sanheim-Myers/Ghost 2nd pair which I can get behind. Not sure Niskanen is the one that is going to unlock Provy though.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Flyers need to upgrade their D. Flyers do upgrade their D, people act confused and/or complain about the move. The beat goes on :rolleyes:

I need to see Niskanen play with this d group to make a judgement call. Won’t lie and say I have paid a lot of attention to Caps games the last year.

It is a bit funny though. Miss out on Q, have to settle for AV. Likely miss on Panarin/Duchene, trying to settle for Hayes.

Niskanen is the top 4 vet dman to come in and help?

Bunch of meh. It’s alright, maybe I’m picky. Who knows, but doesn’t really tickle he pickle.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
the retention is dumb. Interested to see if these means MacDonald is getting bought out.

Reactions: backburner

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love the contrast between this thread and the main board one where non Philly fans can't believe Washington downgraded so much and didn't even get a pick.

To be fair, Gudas is undervalued by non-Flyers fans because of his bad reputation.

I mean this guy literally just won the Ashbee Trophy.

Last edited:

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
HATE this move. Niskanen is on my list of most overrated players in the league. Every time I watch him he does something stupid. Hopefully the numbers tell a better story than the eye test. Appleyard?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have to think that the rationale here was Winnipeg was asking WAY too much for Trouba, Karlsson was a pipe dream, so Niskanen lets us kick the can down the road an additional year, with the hopes that Provorov, Myers, Ghost, and Sanheim will be, in some combination, our top 4 at the end of Niskanen's deal.

Of course, that all hinges on Niskanen actually being able to play, but it looks to me like Chuck thinks Niskanen's an upgrade on Gudas, so he's using cap space this year to avoid paying additional assets for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad