Confirmed with Link: Radko Gudas traded to Washington for Matt Niskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost was certainly torched in that series, Sullivan aggressively forechecked him and exposed him. The league followed the next season.

Gudas was turned around more than once by the Pen forwards.

Sanheim started the first four games, Hagg actually played better the two games he played, both Sanheim and Lindblom showed why HCs don't like to give rookies major roles in the playoffs, even talented rookies.

CF% - xGF%
Provorov 52.85% - 53.45%
Ghost 47.90% - 48.48%
Gudas 46.75% - 39.39%
Amac 45.26% - 42.96%
Manning 48.77% - 38.11%
Sanheim 48.00% - 43.77%
Hagg 47.06% - 68.35%

Your lust for only picking the one stat set that supports you is a joke at this point. And it's really fascinating that Ghosts Beer suddenly isn't complaining about seeing Corsi used. Weird.

Is there any point continuing this discussion now? We've done this 3,479.32 times, is there value in doing it again, for anyone? This is the Gudas trade thread anyhow and it's run its course. We can do this in some other thread if you guys really want. Maybe we should make a catch-all dumpster thread to discuss a miserable era that is now over and hopefully replaced with something better.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That series was the beginning of the end for Ghost. He was coming off a great regular season, then was an absolute trainwreck in the playoffs. Endless forced plays & turnovers. Pittsburgh ate him up with pressure, & he kept trying to make plays through it even though he wasn’t fast enough.

And he carried over the same exact problems into the regular season last year. Surely teams learning how to attack him is part of it. His rookie season, he could get by people & make them look bad. Can’t anymore & the league knows it.

As for Gudas, he was terrible that whole season, including the playoffs.

Bit of an exaggeration.

Ghost wasn't awful, he was just exposed, the great regular season simply didn't translate against the Pen forecheck.
And since then what we've seen is he doesn't get the respect he got when he first came into the league, when he scared opposing players with his shiftiness, and they gave him a lot of room to operate. Now those windows are much smaller. He's still trying to adjust.

Nor did Gudas have a terrible season, he was a solid 3rd pair defenseman, who was asked to do more in the playoffs and was exposed as a limited athlete who struggled to handle quick, agile forwards in space.

The two players who stood out were Couts and Provorov.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I assume nobody minds if we shut this down.

@Ghosts Beer shoot me a PM if you're interesting in responding to that and I'll see if I can think of a title for a discussion of the Demons of Flyers Past. Or maybe I do it anyway, I'm starting to think a container thread for that discussion would streamline things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->