Radim Vrbata Pt. 2

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
vrbata may very well be hurt, but it should be noted that he's has some history of brutal playoff performances

ie: in the phoenix 2011-12 run where they went to the conference finals, vrbata led the team with 35 regular season goals and only scored 2 playoff goals in 16 games

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Some players just aren't made for the playoffs, I wished we could've acquired some that are proven playoff performers, but then again we might not have made the playoffs.

JA

I think Radim is hurt. He hasn't looked the same since being knocked down in that Nashville game a few weeks ago.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+weather+late+short+handed+storm+down+Predators+shootout/10935908/story.html
Canucks weather late short-handed storm, down Predators in shootout
By Iain MacIntyre, Vancouver Sun columnist April 1, 2015

It wasn’t the first nasty incident. Earlier in the game, Bieksa was penalized for contacting Viktor Stalberg’s head on a blindside check, but Predator Seth Jones got nothing for shoving Radim Vrbata into the boards then clubbing the Canuck on the back of the head.

That game ended Vrbata's goal-scoring run. He scored no more goals for the remainder of the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
sorry to bump this thread but. there was a twitter thing by botchford. someone asked if he thinks vrby would be dealt. botch seems to think so. do the canucks trade vrby at the draft? or wait till he scores his ususal 30/30 and trade him at the deadline. plus it sucked when in the playoffs against calgary wille D didnt reunite him with the twins. benning took a shot at vrbata too something along the lines of he "scored an empty goal woppy doo. we want him to contribute more in the post-season.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
sorry to bump this thread but. there was a twitter thing by botchford. someone asked if he thinks vrby would be dealt. botch seems to think so. do the canucks trade vrby at the draft? or wait till he scores his ususal 30/30 and trade him at the deadline. plus it sucked when in the playoffs against calgary wille D didnt reunite him with the twins. benning took a shot at vrbata too something along the lines of he "scored an empty goal woppy doo. we want him to contribute more in the post-season.

I think it might be beneficial to Bae to Keep Vrbata around. Seems like a good guy for Sven to learn from and be taken under his wing. They seemed to have a bit of chemistry the few minutes they played together so im intrigued what they can do together in a full season. I'd feel bad for Sven if Vrbata is traded and he's stuck with nobody who can finish his plays. It would be like groundhog day after his season in Utica.

Moving Vrbata at the deadline would be my ideal scenario but I wouldn't be against trading him now if you get a good offer.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
Hi, I only try to find out what you'd want for Vrbata

Brouwer + Carrick + Caps 3rd round pick (62th overall)

is this proposal possible for you?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Not really. We'd want quality, not quantity. One of the pieces would have to be Bowey, Vrana, or your 2015 1st.

Even if we can't get that type of value for him now, we should easily be able to at the deadline especially if we retain some salary (assuming he isn't having a terrible season).

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
If it were me I would hold out until the deadline. But the "two in the bush" route comes with a whole host of problems.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing now. Wait till the deadline when a cup contender wants some high end offense and squeeze value out of them. Vrbata will probably land a 1st and a prospect something similar to Vermette's deal.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Yeah I was thinking the same thing now. Wait till the deadline when a cup contender wants some high end offense and squeeze value out of them. Vrbata will probably land a 1st and a prospect something similar to Vermette's deal.

Yeah, but there are risks with that strategy. What if Vrbata gets injured around the deadline? What if he just isn't nearly as good next season? What if we're in a playoff position again next year and Benning refuses to move him?

Right now his value is quite high, and if we can get a 1st + a little something else for him now I'd definitely take it.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Trading Vrbata is the best opportunity we have to sell high on an asset we own..

I'm all for trading him Friday - for a significant return... a 1st would be nice.. or a specifically targeted prospect...

We'll be losing him for nothing next off-season anyways... let's expedite the move for a return now, and force a youngen to step up to fill the spot.. Our PP, skill level and playoff chances take a big hit...
But hopefully the roster gets an boost of youthful energy, and speed....

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Horvat-Burrows
Kenins-Bonino-Virtanen
Dorsett-Vey/Gaunce-Hansen

sans-Higgins, Vrbata, Matthias, Richardson.

Also... by moving him now... we can begin building chemistry now for a playoff run... because we know it's impossible to strip a playoff team of a potential 30g scorer at the deadline and try to sell it to anyone as being the smart move. Do it now...

Last edited:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Ã'd trade him now, solves our glut of right-wingers, solves our cap problems, so on that basis alone we get value for trading him now and can help replenish our dearth of top 100 draft picks in a deep year.

The added bonus of alleviating the risk of him getting injured during the season pushes it over the top.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

I think he would be dealt too while his value is high. He is coming off a career year and its not a sure thing he will have another 30/30 season nor a sure thing rather or not he's healthy come deadline. Add to that, his value is likely similar now at the draft as it will be at the deadline since teams don't generally wait till the deadline now to make deals.

Also trading him before July 1st also means Benning could try and sign someone else as a replacement (either direct or upgrade elsewhere if Benning believes one of our prospects can step into a top 6 role).

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Actually...
That is not a bad proposal.
Brouwer is a cheaper Vrbata replacement...
And Carrick does have value.

However...
The Canucks is in a cap crunch...
And while Brouwer makes less...
That 1.25 million difference does not help all that much.

While I am not familiar with Carrick...
Quick research tells me that even though he did pretty well last year for Hershey...
He is on the low end of mobile defenseman.
It is possible that he has peaked...
And this is as good as he will get.
Plus...
He is only 5-11...
And that is not what Benning looks for.

I am with y2k on this one.
I would prefer a 1st rounder over this package.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Time to trade him is now. Teams may see what he did last year, and want that for a full season. If no takers, that's just fine, trade him at the deadline.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
theres was an article on sportsnet that regrading vrbata and hamhuis contract situations. and they mention "after a embarassing first round loss to the flames in round 1 there were some "locker room chemistry issues? i wonder what happened and why. willie didnt bother to play him with the twins when the canucks were down a goal or two.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
theres was an article on sportsnet that regrading vrbata and hamhuis contract situations. and they mention "after a embarassing first round loss to the flames in round 1 there were some "locker room chemistry issues? i wonder what happened and why. willie didnt bother to play him with the twins when the canucks were down a goal or two.

That doesnt make sense, he still played with them on the powerplay

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
That doesnt make sense, he still played with them on the powerplay

yah only powerplay. what about 5 on5 play. when playoff intenisty ramps up. vrby disapearred i remmeber one play in the dzone. someone passed the puck to vrbs and a flame came and hit him and he just looked stunned? or something. like shying away from contact.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The canucks should look to move Radim Vrbata.

Simply from a stylistic standpoint, if they're not going to play Vrbata with the twins - is Vrbata really the guy you want to play with Horvat and Svenbae?

For me, it isn't. I don't think management has intentions of re-signing him either. Should do it now before he demands a trade, or is struggling with production because he doesn't fit on a line with the speed of Bae and Horvat.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If we miss the playoffs because Vrbata couldn't produce with Sutter as expected :laugh:

double :laugh::laugh: when Benning says he couldn't find a reasonable deal for him at the TDL because of his poor production

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If we miss the playoffs because Vrbata couldn't produce with Sutter as expected :laugh:

double :laugh::laugh: when Benning says he couldn't find a reasonable deal for him at the TDL because of his poor production

Exactly!

Vrbata won't produce with either Sutter or Horvat. Sutter can't carry enough of a 5v5 offensive load, he will stagnate both Baertschi and Vrbata. Horvat will want to push pace with Baertschi, and I think you need a steady two way presence on that line when you have someone that young at C, with a pure offensive winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad