Race for the Rocket Richard 2021 - Part II

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No, I said it was already a 4 goal gap and that the 7 less games played likely would have just made the gap even larger.

And I've explained the reasons above and don't want to repeat it 20 different times every time a new Leaf fan quotes a post of mine. So if my explanation in the previous half dozen posts to the other fan wasn't clear enough, I'm not sure what else to say.
Probably that if you factor in time played (as you suggested in an effort to level the field), the gap is more likely to shrink than widen.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I may not know everything thats going to happen next but I can say for sure that Auston winning the rocket is gonna happen.
casual fan since 93, die hard since 1998, this will be the 1st major award win(outside of calder) so its a pretty big deal to me.

I missed the Gilmore/Clarke years. I hated hockey until I was about 17 years old.

I hated it because "jocks" were assholes to people like me, even though I liked sports and played them.

Skateboarding was my thing. Prior to that I loved playing baseball and loved the Blue Jays and wow when they won....wow. Tony Fernandez is my fave player of all time.

Anyway, I guess I was bored and decided to "check out these hockey playoffs" and started watching the Ottawa Senators vs whoever they were playing, I was HOOKED, so fast, so violent! so exciting.

So then I decided, next season I'm going to become a hockey fan, guess I'll follow the Leafs since I live in the GTA. Saw a couple conference finals that I knew they wouldn't win and other than that, it's just been a terrible experience.

I'll take having a player on my favourite team winning the Rocket.

Reactions: The Sweetness

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I missed the Gilmore/Clarke years. I hated hockey until I was about 17 years old.

I hated it because "jocks" were assholes to people like me, even though I liked sports and played them.

Skateboarding was my thing. Prior to that I loved playing baseball and loved the Blue Jays and wow when they won....wow. Tony Fernandez is my fave player of all time.

Anyway, I guess I was bored and decided to "check out these hockey playoffs" and started watching the Ottawa Senators vs whoever they were playing, I was HOOKED, so fast, so violent! so exciting.

So then I decided, next season I'm going to become a hockey fan, guess I'll follow the Leafs since I live in the GTA. Saw a couple conference finals that I knew they wouldn't win and other than that, it's just been a terrible experience.

I'll take having a player on my favourite team winning the Rocket.

Sporto's were and are assholes to everyone. I justify it in my mind by thinking the average professional athlete (and especially in hockey) has to have their head on straight and aren't those types of jocks. Some are but based on who've I've met, most aren't. The guys you hated are the failed ones in their 40s at the cougar bars.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
No way anyone catches Mathews this year for the Rocket anymore. Great player. I hope he can stay healthy for a full year so we can see what he can without injuries. Could see him putting up some monster totals or potentially being the one to reach the 50 in 50.

jalidi

Apr 5, 2012
His goals/per game give him 66 for an entire 82 game season, assuming he plays every single one. If he keeps it up through the last game, he'll actually score slightly better than Ovechkin at his very best, and the best in the NHL since Mario Lemieux.

Although his points come to 108 in a full season, just a bit below Ovechkin's peak of 112 when he scored 65 goals and indeed played all 82 games, there's still a few games left for Matthews to add to his damage.

Very interested to see what Matthews can put up with no injuries or lost games in a complete campaign, too.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Wonder if this will be the night he hits 40. Matthews has been on fire lately and he seems to always get up for Habs games.

He's got 17 goals in 21 games vs them which is the 2nd most vs any team.

Reactions: saffronleaf

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
His goals/per game give him 66 for an entire 82 game season, assuming he plays every single one. If he keeps it up through the last game, he'll actually score slightly better than Ovechkin at his very best, and the best in the NHL since Mario Lemieux.

Although his points come to 108 in a full season, just a bit below Ovechkin's peak of 112 when he scored 65 goals and indeed played all 82 games, there's still a few games left for Matthews to add to his damage.

Very interested to see what Matthews can put up with no injuries or lost games in a complete campaign, too.

Yeah, no. Might want to check league GPG before comparing the seasons. And doing something for 82 games against the entire NHL is a lot more impressive than doing it for 56 games against the north division. OV also won the ross against Malkin, while Matthews is behind his own line mate in pts and 25 behind McDavid (would probably be ~50 behind in a full season).

Reactions: Randyne

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Yeah, no. Might want to check league GPG before comparing the seasons. And doing something for 82 games against the entire NHL is a lot more impressive than doing it for 56 games against the north division. OV also won the ross against Malkin, while Matthews is behind his own line mate in pts and 25 behind McDavid (would probably be ~50 behind in a full season).
I get that you're defensive, but what he said wasn't wrong. If he maintains the pace, he would end the season with a slightly higher GPG than Ovechkin did in his top scoring season. That's true. That's fact. But you're also right in that doing it for an entire season is much better than prorating it over a lesser period. But it is nice of you to acknowledge that McDavid is playing at a much higher level than Ovechkin did that season. Respect.

Reactions: BayStBullies

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This has been discussed at length and it's already been established that the scoring environment Ovechkin experienced is higher than the one Matthews has this season when you factor in their ES and PP ice time. Ovechkin was 3rd in the league in powerplay minutes while Matthews was 48th before tonights game. The difference is minimal though which is why if he scores 65 goals it will be equally impressive if his ice time distribution and scoring environment remains similar next season. Either way, he has 66 or 67 goals I believe in his last 82 games now. Pretty crazy from a two-way center.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Best Toronto Maple Leaf ever, and best goal scoring center in NHL history besides Gretzky and Lemieux.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Best Toronto Maple Leaf ever, and best goal scoring center in NHL history besides Gretzky and Lemieux.

Uh, he's real good and all that, Man. But I dunno about the "best ever" stuff. He's about to win a goal scoring race. That's it.

He's never won a Hart, an Art Ross, a Conn Smythe, or any Cups yet.

Geez. I think you're just a bit over-excited.

As for goal scoring Centres. Yzerman? Esposito? Sakic?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad