Race for the Calder - Part II

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
He's trying to spin it as if the reason kaprizov and fiala don't play together with zucc is because the wild intentionally spread out the talent instead of limitation based on the positions that they are comfortable playing

To be fair, Fiala and Kaprizov were already on separate lines in the first ~10 games of the season when Zuccarello was sidelined with injury.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He didn't mean as 1 superstar pulling a bus of mediocrity to relevence like Seguin and benn used to do.
He meant that what little talent we have is playing together.

3 of our 5 best players right now play in the same line. The other 2 are defensemen on separate pairs. But that's what he means.
We don't have
Robertson playing with dowling and kero (though as much as they like to try and say so, Kaprizov doesn't play with anyone that bad either)
Hintz with cogliano and pysyk
And pavs with dickinson
To spread those 3 out.

He's trying to spin it as if the reason kaprizov and fiala don't play together with zucc is because the wild intentionally spread out the talent instead of limitation based on the positions that they are comfortable playing
But Kaprizov and Fiala play together on the PP where a 1/4 of all Karpizov's points come from. I mean if someone is going to clain that Robertson is playing with the Stars best players to help pad his stats then the same can be said about Kaprizov and Fiala. Dude is a hypocrite extraordinaire which is why he has no rebuttal to it. Even if he commented he would just deflect and point fingers at Robertson.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Very true I would't say top heavy league, wide. More so objectively, in that, most of their points come from their top line relative to other teams.

I see what you are saying now, still seems hard to compare and compute given the nature of lines changing, lines being different for powerplays, etc.

For example, Pavelski has 20 powerplay points and had 15 points in the first 8 games.. before even playing with Robertson (pretty sure they didn't play together during that time).

Detailed look into it would be necessary rather than adding up total points now, and saying that it's a top heavy line.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I always assuming hockey fans from the State of Hockey would have some understanding of hockey. Being a member of this site a long time has taught me otherwise. That's what I get for assuming. Although I will admit that so many Stars fans not understanding what top-heavy means is also a bit baffling.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
But Kaprizov and Fiala play together on the PP where a 1/4 of all Karpizov's points come from. I mean if someone is going to clain that Robertson is playing with the Stars best players to help pad his stats then the same can be said about Kaprizov and Fiala. Dude is a hypocrite extraordinaire which is why he has no rebuttal to it. Even if he commented he would just deflect and point fingers at Robertson.
Most top line players get 1/4 or more of their points on the PP. Nature of the beast. How Kaprizov scoring at top 10ish rate on the PP being a bad thing you'll have to let me know...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Most top line players get 1/4 or more of their points on the PP. Nature of the beast. How Kaprizov scoring at top 10ish rate on the PP being a bad thing you'll have to let me know...

He's certainly making the most of the opportunities given to him, can't hold that against the guy. :dunno:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Not exactly.

A little bit hyperbole, but after watching Zuccarrello last year... I'm not sure it's that far from the truth in relation to what Kaprizov and Fiala are asked to do.

Yes, the Geek line is a great shutdown line that also provides secondary offense... but Fiala/Kaprizov don't play with them.

If Robertson plays with either Rask/Zucc or Sturm or Hartman/Johansson... his numbers get worse. If Kaprizov plays with Pavelski and Hintz, his numbers get better. It's really that simple.

Reactions: MuckOG

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Only thing is Robertson doesn't get that PP time, or at least hasn't until recently. Now has 2 PP points in his last couple of games as a result since he got bumped up (with Klingberg out). Can't imagine where his point totals would be had he been on it sooner.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Most of the writers who vote on these things justify the votes after the fact, right? It'll be enlightening to see how their criteria line up with MIN and DAL fans' rationale.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

They've played together on the PP for ~10-15 games or so, before that they were largely split (and the Wild had a league history worst PP). Plus, I'm not sure how the argument that Kaprizov plays with Robertson level linemates for 2-4 minutes per game helps Robertson's argument.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Minnesota fans are REALLY trashing their own team in this thread just to prove “Kaprizov is better”.

Talbot and Kahkonen, along with the worst division in the league are the biggest reasons as to why the Wild took a step forward this season.

Robertson’s emergence is going to be the biggest reason as to why Dallas is going to make the playoffs this season. Simple as that.

Reactions: Erebor and Elysian

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Minnesota fans are REALLY trashing their own team in this thread just to prove “Kaprizov is better”.

Talbot and Kahkonen, along with the worst division in the league are the biggest reasons as to why the Wild took a step forward this season.

Robertson’s emergence is going to be the biggest reason as to why Dallas is going to make the playoffs this season. Simple as that.

Not trashing the team....just trashing Rask.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

We just know what our team is. Great D, one hell of a checking line that can keep most top lines in check while scoring, and 2 great creative players left to play with 4th liners(one of them does get Zuc as well who is good).

keeneyedobserver

Mar 5, 2014
We just know what our team is. Great D, one hell of a checking line that can keep most top lines in check while scoring, and 2 great creative players left to play with 4th liners(one of them does get Zuc as well who is good).
I don't see why it's so important to win the Calder. It won't make any difference in how either team does this year, or in the future. I don't think either fan base would trade their guy for the other, so let's just celebrate the fact that we have two great young players who are going to be leading our teams for a while to come!

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Based on pure skill and ability to make the most of it I think kaprizov will take it handily. I would add that finishing behind a player with his ability should not be considered insulting or disrespected.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't see why it's so important to win the Calder. It won't make any difference in how either team does this year, or in the future. I don't think either fan base would trade their guy for the other, so let's just celebrate the fact that we have two great young players who are going to be leading our teams for a while to come!

Couldn't you say the same thing about all individual awards? Why is it so important to win the Norris? Hart? Lady Byng? etc.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

space321

May 11, 2011
Is there really an argument between Pavelski+Hintz vs Zuccarello+Rask? lol it seems pretty obvious which pair is better. The fact that Rask exists is enough to drag that side down into the negatives. People are actually kidding themselves if they think linemate quality doesn't strongly affect scoring.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Terrible defense by the Hurricanes, but watching this game, I will say that Robertson looks very smart out there. Always in a good spot.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Terrible defense by the Hurricanes, but watching this game, I will say that Robertson looks very smart out there. Always in a good spot.
Was pretty impressed with his backchecking not long after his goal, broke up a rush nicely.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

His intelligence is why he's had success despite not being very flashy; he and Heiskanen are probably our smartest players. I think that's why he started off slow, but once his thinking caught up to the speed of the NHL, he has been able to thrive.

Reactions: Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad