Race for the Calder - Part II

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

That might have something to do with how important Robertson has become to the Stars success this year.

Seriously . Stars had to play fringe NHL players / AHL players so much that they now fullfill expansion draft requirements . WHen you have to dress a line of Kero-Dowling-Pysyk your team isn't doing so hot.

I remember the Penguins really sticking out on this chart during their back-to-back Cups, therefore I'm going to assume that Colorado or Boston will win the Cup this year. (or heck, maybe Dallas?)

Sorry Vegas, Florida, Long Island and Minnesota, analytics have spoken.

Reactions: Elysian

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Wait, wait, wait... I just saw Robo got an assist on the PP but it was a Pavelski goal. Did our coaching staff grow a brain and put our offensive driver on PP1 or was that in the midst of a change and he got lucky to be with the PP guys who are good?

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Wait, wait, wait... I just saw Robo got an assist on the PP but it was a Pavelski goal. Did our coaching staff grow a brain and put our offensive driver on PP1 or was that in the midst of a change and he got lucky to be with the PP guys who are good?

clearly he’s riding Pavs right? I mean it was all Pavs because surely Pavs is the reason why Robo is having all this success.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
clearly he’s riding Pavs right? I mean it was all Pavs because surely Pavs is the reason why Robo is having all this success.
It blows my mind that Robo-Hintz-Pavs has so much chemistry, but screw that lets put Benn on the first PP over Robo because.... reasons. Especially when you consider Benn has an unreal wrister but we cant decide if we should put him in a position to use that or net-front over the greatest puck tipper in the game

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Robertson with the OT assist on Benn's goal. Finished with 2 points tonight. Robertson is 2 points back of Kirill.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Lol why stop at 2 assists? Why not dig further back in his stats? Oh wait, I know the answer....

2 more assists tonight, to 2 more different players.

Last 4 assists have been to 4 different fwds (all primary assists too).

Happy to continue this each time to make you see how narrow and stupid you look.

Reactions: MBTendy

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I think Robertson will finish with more points, Kaprisov more goals (obviously, but also more important). If Kaprisov hits 25g, there's no way he doesn't win it.
If Robertson leads all rookies in scoring as well as assists and doesn't win it will be a a kick in the nuts.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Wild are off until Wednesday night. Don't think that Kaprizov hasn't been paying attention to what Robertson is doing and will come out flying against the Blues. Should be a fantastic race to the finish.

Admittedly I'm biased, but I believe Kaprizov is still the favorite due to his filthy goals. Assists are great, but the ladies (and voters) love the electric goal-scoring much more.

My only fear is that since the Wild have already clinched a playoff spot that Evason will decide to rest Kaprizov a few games.....But I think the chances of that happening are pretty remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Club and catters078

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
We are in the midst of an amazing rookie race between these two now.

This is their current 82 game pace..

Kaprizov - 38 Goals, 33 assists and 71 pts
Robertson - 26 Goals, 47 assists and 73 pts.

Who knows if their returns would diminish over a normal longer season..still cant help but hypothysise against other dominant years from Rookie forwards. Here are some comparisons from recent years rookie fwds to see how they compare.

(Everything below is 82 game pace for comparison as some players below didnt play 82, eg McDavid only played 45 games in bis rookie year for 48 pts)

15-16
Artemi Panarin 31g, 48a, 79pts
Jack Eichel 25g, 32a, 57pts
Connor McDavid 29g, 58a, 87pts

16-17
Auston Matthews 40g, 29a, 69pts
Patrick Laine 40g, 31a, 71 pts
Mitch Marner 20g, 45a, 65pts

17-18
Matt Barzal 22g, 63a, 85pts
Clayton Keller 23g, 42a, 65pts
Yanni Gourde 25g, 39a, 64pts

18-19
Elias Pettersson 32g, 44a, 76 pts
Brady Tkachuk 25g, 26a, 51pts

19-20 (rookie pt race lead by D men)
Domink Kubalik 36g, 19a, 55 pts
Victor Olofsson 30g, 33a, 63 pts

While Robertson and Kaprizov are both older than most rookie seasons abive...still a fantastic rookie season from the two

Reactions: Erebor

P10p

May 15, 2012
2 more assists tonight, to 2 more different players.

Last 4 assists have been to 4 different fwds (all primary assists too).

Happy to continue this each time to make you see how narrow and stupid you look.

If you're trying to defend the stance that playing with Hintz/Pavelski aren't greatly helping his point total, especially compared to the linemates Kaprizov okays with, you're already downing in the kool-aid and there is no saving you.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Simply put, scoring goals on Minnesota is much more impressive than scoring assists on Dallas. Even much more when you consider the line mates both players have.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
Simply put, scoring goals on Minnesota is much more impressive than scoring assists on Dallas. Even much more when you consider the line mates both players have.

Specially because Dallas was known for its stellar offense!

P10p

May 15, 2012
Specially because Dallas was known for its stellar offense!

Specially because Dallas is very top heavy, which Robertson gets to be a part of. Meanwhile Kaprizov gets to drag the carcass of once NHLer Victor Rask around the ice, and plays on a powerplay including the likes of the aforementioned Rask and a past expired Nick Bonino...

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If you're trying to defend the stance that playing with Hintz/Pavelski aren't greatly helping his point total, especially compared to the linemates Kaprizov okays with, you're already downing in the kool-aid and there is no saving you.

So what you are saying is that any player who excels because of the chemistry he has with his linemates is solely a product of that line and he relied on them to be successful?

"When Robertson is on the ice for the Stars, the team’s offensive creation at five-on-five is seven percent above league average. When Robertson is not on the ice, the Stars’ five-on-five offense is 18 percent weaker than league average in terms of expected goal rate for... When Kaprizov is on the ice, the Wild’s expected goal generation is 16 percent below league average. Without Kaprizov deployed, their offensive generation actually improves to seven percent below league average."

Some of your statements makes it obvious you have no f***ing clue about what you watch on the TV when it comes to Dallas so try again, come back with a better understanding of the Stars.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So what you are saying is that any player who excels because of the chemistry he has with his linemates is solely a product of that line and he relied on them to be successful?

"When Robertson is on the ice for the Stars, the team’s offensive creation at five-on-five is seven percent above league average. When Robertson is not on the ice, the Stars’ five-on-five offense is 18 percent weaker than league average in terms of expected goal rate for... When Kaprizov is on the ice, the Wild’s expected goal generation is 16 percent below league average. Without Kaprizov deployed, their offensive generation actually improves to seven percent below league average."

Some of your statements makes it obvious you have no f***ing clue about what you watch on the TV when it comes to Dallas so try again, come back with a better understanding of the Stars.

Couldn't help but notice that you neglected to include the following from the same article you quoted:

" Of course, context is important. Roope Hintz is a more impactful center than Victor Rask, not to mention that Kaprizov draws tougher competition:

The average forward Kaprizov faces has an average five-on-five game score of 0.42. The average forward Robertson faces has an average game score of 0.33, which is a very big difference. Also, maybe demonstrating how hard Kaprizov is to contain, Kaprizov is tied for ninth in the NHL with 18 penalties drawn, while Robertson has drawn just three. Kaprizov also has 19 takeaways to Robertson’s 11."

Dallas Stars Daily Links: Robertson vs Kaprizov

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
That is because that is not that big of a deciding factor, penalties drawn is a stupid argument and .09 is not a big difference. What is a big difference is the 5 on 5 stats, try to keep up. 5 on 5 stats is pretty glaring and Robertson is leading by a New York Mile, leading in assists and will likely over take in points.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Dallas is one of the worst goal scoring teams over the last three seasons though?

Do people think Dallas is some offensive dynamo?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Couldn't help but notice that you neglected to include the following from the same article you quoted:

" Of course, context is important. Roope Hintz is a more impactful center than Victor Rask, not to mention that Kaprizov draws tougher competition:

The average forward Kaprizov faces has an average five-on-five game score of 0.42. The average forward Robertson faces has an average game score of 0.33, which is a very big difference. Also, maybe demonstrating how hard Kaprizov is to contain, Kaprizov is tied for ninth in the NHL with 18 penalties drawn, while Robertson has drawn just three. Kaprizov also has 19 takeaways to Robertson’s 11."

Dallas Stars Daily Links: Robertson vs Kaprizov

Ah yes, analytics.

What goes into a "five on five game score", I wonder?

Honestly curious, never seen that metric used before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad