Race for the Calder - Part II

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
It’s not impossible, but kaprisov has taken another step lately to kinda close the door.

I don't think it's likely that Robertson surpasses Kaprizov either, but they've both "taken another step lately".

Kaprizov - Last 10 Games
8-2-10, -2
7 PPP (5G, 2 A)

Robertson - Last 10 Games
6-7-13, +9
1 PPP (Assist)

70% of Kaprizov's offense during that time has come on the powerplay vs Robertson's ~8%. Basically this tells me that if Kaprizov could produce at Robertson's level at 5 on 5 and Robertson could produce at Kaprizov's level on the PP, they'd be two of the best players in the league. :laugh:

Reactions: Chrisinroch

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
When Robertson is on the ice, the goal differential for Dallas is +15, while when he is off the ice, the goal differential for Dallas is -3.

As for Kaprizov the goal differential for when he’s on the ice for the Wild is +9, while Kaprizov isn’t on the ice, the goal differential is also +9.

Simply put, Robertson has been a more impactful player for the Stars than Kaprizov has been for the Wild.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
When Robertson is on the ice, the goal differential for Dallas is +15, while when he is off the ice, the goal differential for Dallas is -3.

As for Kaprizov the goal differential for when he’s on the ice for the Wild is +9, while Kaprizov isn’t on the ice, the goal differential is also +9.

Simply put, Robertson has been a more impactful player for the Stars than Kaprizov has been for the Wild.

+/- is the single most overrated individual stat in hockey. Always has been, always will be. Way too often players get a plus or a minus when they had absolutely nothing to do with the goal.

Reactions: MK9 and Rob Brown

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
+/- is the single most overrated individual stat in hockey. Always has been, always will be. Way too often players get a plus or a minus when they had absolutely nothing to do with the goal.

When there is that large of a gap between the two, yeah it should definitely be apart of the discussion
Robertson: +18

Kaprizov: ZERO

When Robertson is on the ice, his team is better. Those are just facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yackiberg8

Lowrider

Apr 25, 2021
What are the other candidates for the TOP 3 anyway?

I read some good stuff about that kid from Carolina. Good stats at least.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
for months you say, lmao
evident your definition of the calder is based purely on hype and not actual statistics

I love Kaprizov, but it seems his followers feel they have to hate on Robertson. Really distasteful. While Robo fans are welcoming of a debate, some even admitting Kirill is better and will win the trophy.
People seem to forget (or just don't know) that Jason won the OHL scoring title, was the best/top scorer on his team for the past 3 years, including his first pro year in the AHL. He's no stranger to dominance.

Disregarding the hype, this is a neck and neck battle for ROY, and the journalists of the writers association who will vote for the Calder, seem to recognize the Jason Robertson is a legitimate threat to Dollar Bill Kirill, and that's what really matters in the end. The last 10 games are going be to must watch TV, for fans of both contenders

I'm a Stars fan lmao. Kaprizov has always had it won in the media's eyes since the start cause of hype is my point.

I want Robertson to win but it's very unlikely he does cause I don't really see either of them stopping their production, which means Kaprizov will likely end up with more points anyways.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
+/- :laugh:

So Robertson gets the easy opponents and Kaprizov plays against the top lines.

Without Robertson the Stars made the SCF, with him they might miss the playoffs.

With Kaprizov Minnesota is not a bubble team. They are the 3rd team overall to make the playoffs. And that without a #1C or a #2C.
Kaprizov is making a case for the Hart.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Without Robertson the Stars made the SCF, with him they might miss the playoffs.

With Kaprizov Minnesota is not a bubble team. They are the 3rd team overall to make the playoffs. And that without a #1C or a #2C.

Of all the laughable arguments I've read in this thread, I think yours takes the blue ribbon.

Holy ****. :biglaugh:

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
70% of Kaprizov's offense during that time has come on the powerplay vs Robertson's ~8%. Basically this tells me that if Kaprizov could produce at Robertson's level at 5 on 5 and Robertson could produce at Kaprizov's level on the PP, they'd be two of the best players in the league. :laugh:

I honestly think that if you switched Robertson and Kaprisov line mates, Kaprisov’s production would go up. I’m 100% convinced that Robertson on a line w Rask and Zuccarello would see his assist totals plummet. I dunno about goals, but I’m convinced he’d have fewer assists.

Reactions: MuckOG

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017

Cause PP impact means nothing at all lol. Kaprizov is the best guy on his team and Robertson isn’t even close to Dallas’ best player... yet

Reactions: thestonedkoala

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That says more about team management than it does about either player, tbh

What does it say? DK about Dallas but Wild are exceeding expectations by a fair amount and that's largely due to Kaprizov living up to the hype and Billy G's pickup of Talbot. Boldy looks great (small sample size) in the AHL so far, and Rossi who would have started with the team this year (i mean have you seen our Cs?) is only out due to mismanagement of COVID protocols between his WJ team and his CHL team.
For me it looks like Kaprizov is giving the Wild a boost a level above where they should be.

C depth is def not Billy G's fault.

Reactions: Lapa

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Great year for rookies cant remember something like this. The Pork Chop Express is making Canucks fans super excited and hes not even gonna snif the top 5 most likely

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well thats just not true.
Was going to say the same, but I think he actually just phrased it in a way that didn't quite match his intended point. I think he meant he's 3rd in goals THIS SEASON among 2015 drafted players, not that he's 3rd in his career. From a brief look at the goal standings, that appears to be accurate, with McDavid and Rantanen ahead of him.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I suppose hockey writers watch out ot town games on TV, but the fact that they decide this award, and many of them will never see more than highlight reels of any of the top candidates, I don't care a rat's ass about the Calder.

I'm sure Dallas is thrilled to have Robertson. Wild fans are very happy with Kaprizov. Hawks fans love Lankinen.

Popularity contest.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Minnesota is sitting in third, Dallas is in fifth. Those are just facts.
Dallas didn't have their 1C or #1 goalie for the season, lost their #1 RW after 11 games and are still fighting for that fourth spot. Without Robertson, Dallas is competing for a top 5 pick at the draft.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

That might have something to do with how important Robertson has become to the Stars success this year.

Seriously . Stars had to play fringe NHL players / AHL players so much that they now fullfill expansion draft requirements . WHen you have to dress a line of Kero-Dowling-Pysyk your team isn't doing so hot.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

Having a really hard time figuring out which posts in this thread are legit and which are sarcasm.. I'm hoping this one is sarcasm, because if not...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad