Race for the Calder - Part II

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Robertson with an assist today to close the pts gap to 3...only to be answered an hour later by Kaprizov with a powerplay goal.:laugh:

Robertson on a 7 game point streak but Kap stays red hot to keep that 3 or 4 pt gap.

I think Kap will hold on and win Calder despite Robertsons surge

P10p

May 15, 2012
Kaprizov pulls into the top 10 for goals league wide while Robertson continues to stack assists playing with Hintz and Pavelski..

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I don't watch many if any non-Wild games - have not seen the Stars or Robertson this year. I see that he has size, and a nice goal scoring record through juniors and the AHL.

What does his game look like? Skating, shot, passing, etc.

Thanks.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It'll be an interesting vote to be honest.

Probably come down to how much the voters hold Kaprizovs age against him. He's got so many more goals, and specifically how many of his goals are highlight real type goals he creates for himself that if they were the same age, regardless of final total points being within a handful it would still probably be a landslide.

Age difference is what gives Robertson a shot.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov is tied for 3rd in goals amongst that super sexy 2015 draft. Rantanen is the 1st... How many goals and points would Kirill have had, playing with MacKinnon, I wonder.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Goals per game for a rookie going back to 05-06
Ovechkin .64
Svatos .52
Laine .49
Matthews .49
Crosby .48
Kaprizov .47

Reactions: alexgreeen

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You can usually tell who’s going to win these things based off Canadian media hype, and Kaprizov has it all. I think he has it locked up.

With that being said, I’m definitely more impressed with Robertson than the Geezer

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
He's not winning the Calder unless Kaprizov just falls off a cliff suddenly. He's had it won for months now
for months you say, lmao
evident your definition of the calder is based purely on hype and not actual statistics

I love Kaprizov, but it seems his followers feel they have to hate on Robertson. Really distasteful. While Robo fans are welcoming of a debate, some even admitting Kirill is better and will win the trophy.
People seem to forget (or just don't know) that Jason won the OHL scoring title, was the best/top scorer on his team for the past 3 years, including his first pro year in the AHL. He's no stranger to dominance.

Disregarding the hype, this is a neck and neck battle for ROY, and the journalists of the writers association who will vote for the Calder, seem to recognize the Jason Robertson is a legitimate threat to Dollar Bill Kirill, and that's what really matters in the end. The last 10 games are going be to must watch TV, for fans of both contenders

Reactions: Dynamite Time

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Goals are more impressive than assists. not sure why this is hard for some people to admit.
plenty of time for Kap to go cold and/or have minutes reduced to protect him for the playoffs (god i hope not) so there's def opportunity to overtake him in Gs as well as overall points.

the voting is different this year iirc but it's still subjective. I'd expect Robertson to get most of the votes in his conference and Kaprizov to win in ours, and who knows for the other two and national media. I suspect hype will play a roll there as they're less exposed to the games and highlight reels feature Kaprizov more.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Lol why stop at 2 assists? Why not dig further back in his stats? Oh wait, I know the answer....

Maybe because some people have better things to do with their life than go through past games statistics?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Only 3 rookies in the past 28 years have led their team in scoring going into the playoffs. Kaprizov will be the 4th.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
It’s close, and there are games remaining.

Unless you think assists are just as valuable as goals, it’s a pretty big gap to close in 9 games. Robertson will need several multi goal or 1+2 games to pad the points enough to peel away voters. And Kaprisov will need to cool off a lot. It’s not impossible, but kaprisov has taken another step lately to kinda close the door.

And Robertson has a bit of a P/R problem. Kaprisov got that early national game buzz and it’s a more interesting story so people pay more attention.

No disrespect to Robertson. He, and a few others to a lesser extent, are having great rookie campaigns.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Unless you think assists are just as valuable as goals, it’s a pretty big gap to close in 9 games. Robertson will need several multi goal or 1+2 games to pad the points enough to peel away voters. And Kaprisov will need to cool off a lot. It’s not impossible, but kaprisov has taken another step lately to kinda close the door.

And Robertson has a bit of a P/R problem. Kaprisov got that early national game buzz and it’s a more interesting story so people pay more attention.

No disrespect to Robertson. He, and a few others to a lesser extent, are having great rookie campaigns.

Which to me, means it's not yet a lock.

And to be clear, I do think that Kaprizov is going to end up winning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->