Race for the Calder - Part II

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Now now, it's still not over yet. Kirill has the edge IMO especially since the next two games he's going against Anaheim. But all it takes is one scoreless game for the other and a 2 or 3 point game for the other to sway it the other way. This isn't over until the time runs out.

The Calder isn't decided by who has the most goals or assists anyway. It is more due to the fact that with their backs against the wall on several occasions, Kaprizov is the one to show up in the clutch moment. He is a superstar as a rookie in the best league in the world and has the essence of the big moment. Robertson is very very good, and if it did come down to stats it would be a close race.. but there is so much more to it. Kaprizov is the franchise already.. sure Fiala is great, but Kaprizov is the best player on the roster and has all but helped carry an overachieving team to the playoffs. Robertson might be top 5 on the Stars, and that team faced a ton of adversity this season too so I can't call them underachieving.. would have like to see them make the playoffs, but this comes down to not only skill but the intangibles and importance of a player to the roster.. I don't think that is as close as the points race.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
...and Robertson. He’s had a great season. He won’t win the Calder but he’s a great pick by the Stars and a great piece to build around.
You can mention one and not the other. Someone complimenting Kapizov is allowed and doesn't take away anything from Robertson.

Reactions: mattihp

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Due to their positions, probably Rossi more so than Boldy. Although, it may take Rossi a while to ascend to that #1C considering he has been on the couch for the past 5 months recovering from COVID. Boldy seems primed to play on a line with Fiala.

The Wild desperately need another top 6 center on their roster next season who's name is not Victor Rask.

Kaprizov - Rossi - Zuccarello
Greenway - JEEK - Foligno
Boldy - UFA - Fiala
Parise - Hartman - Sturm
Another?
How about one at all?

Reactions: mattihp

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
McDavid is a slam dunk for the Hart, but Kaprizov is making a case for finalist consideration.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
McDavid is a slam dunk for the Hart, but Kaprizov is making a case for finalist consideration.
If he hits 30 goals, I’d listen to a conversation for him on a 5 player ballot. Right now, he wouldn’t be on mine. Was looking like he’s going to make it onto ballots at the halfway point of the year in media polls, can’t imagine that’s changed either. He’ll get votes, but don’t think he’ll finish top 10

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Kaprizov has 16 goals in his last 21 games, after just 10 in his first 31 games. He was definitely deferring and trying to "fit in" during the first stretch of games. Now that he's comfortable and has realized that he doesn't have to "fit in" at the NHL level he's absolutely dominating.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
That is such nitpick stat dont get me wrong Kaprizov is great young player and should win calder but he has long way to go before catching some of the names on that list
Dont know about that long way, i think there is one guy i would put ahead of him in terms of value, maybe 2 if you concider center more valuable position for your team, but i would still slot him in 2.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That is such nitpick stat dont get me wrong Kaprizov is great young player and should win calder but he has long way to go before catching some of the names on that list

and the only reason he was hyped before he got here was because of comparisons with Panarin and Tarasenko and their KHL stats. Always with a caveat "We'll see how that translates to the NHL". Here we are. He translated.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov has 16 goals in his last 21 games, after just 10 in his first 31 games. He was definitely deferring and trying to "fit in" during the first stretch of games. Now that he's comfortable and has realized that he doesn't have to "fit in" at the NHL level he's absolutely dominating.

He didn't have Zucc at the start of the season, so there was nobody to pass the puck to him. Another reason was PP not working like at all. Kaprizov scored a lot later from Fiala's assists on PP.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
The race got a bit close for a small while... but Kaprizov would have none of it and cemented his Calder win. Kaprizov lived up to the hype that had been building for the last couple of years. Props to Robertson too, who made this thread both interesting and infuriating to read.

GetWild

Apr 3, 2021
Another point for Kaprisov!!!!

He assisted on a goal

48th point

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad